Please allow us to use Orbs of Growth for class exp

And six months later, for the exact reasons in the post directly above yours by me, the answer is still 99.9% going to be “no”.

Quoting the most relevant part:

Class leveling is the longest grind in the game, by far, currently.

Similar to pets, the class shop offers players the opportunity to trade gems for class xp. Rarer than pet shops, because there are 34 classes (by mid-April), each class shop can only appear on the that Kingdom’s event week Thursday once or twice at most per real-life calendar year. This mechanic fits in perfectly with the shop behaviors with other events, to create “now-or-never” buying opportunities, FOMO, etc. There’s no reason for the devs to change the behavior, given the game’s current operating model.

Now, to be fair, on the incredibly small chance that some future new content requires players to mandatory need max-level classes (not to level Power for stars), orbs of growth could be used in the manner you desire. But, and a big BUT, the game is already flooded with them. That would mean each orb would need to be worth a very small amount of CXP to not trivialize the shop.

I’ve played with some numbers this morning on what I would be comfortable asking the devs if I were to make such a request to be anything in the ballpark of being reasonable. Long story short, I can’t rationalize minor growth orbs being worth anything more than a flat 5 CXP, and majors being worth a flat 50 CXP. Yes, a major green orb is 20x a minor green orb, but there’s literally no way they will ever be worth 100 CXP, given that translates to 100+ Gems in the class shop and that a major green orb is guaranteed every single week trivially in any guild event. Plus, there’s the “Treasure Map” problem with major green orbs. The only way I can see major green orbs being converted to CXP at 100 CXP ever being greenlighted is if there was a hard one-per-week (not per class) maximum hardcoded into the system to avoid trivializing the class shop.

TL;DR 6 months later, I still see all-but-zero chances of this happening. Maybe in some very future update for powercreep reasons at very low (possibly time restricted) conversion rates.

2 Likes

I am all in for this change. A major growth may add a whole level and a minor 5 class xp.
With this even an end game player would run out from orbs on maximum 2 classes. But orb of growth still would be much more useful.

As much as I would love to be able to have something to do with the absurd number of Growth orbs in my inventory, @Lyrian has stated it perfectly.

Various currencies in this game are designed to be worthless after a point. Growth Orbs are one of them. They’re thrown at players like candy in events, and a lot of endgame players have likely never used one and are sitting on hundreds of them.

3 Likes

QFT.

Shaping this thought a bit more, newer currencies and game modes that have been introduced into the game are highly subjective to diminishing returns in comparison to the amount of effort applied to a player’s advancement in a given mode/event/thing.

For growth orbs, the drop-off is binary. Either the player can use the orb, or they cannot. Once a player has leveled up all the troops they can, these orbs are worthless. Their diminished value becomes zero. On the other end of the scale, for newer players, major growth orbs are fantastic. This reason has been cited many times by the devs on why the weekly major growth orb exists.

On a bit of a long-winded sidetrack, Delves are a perfect example of this concept in action.

Each faction is worth up to 2500 renown. The first 500-1000 renown are very easy to obtain. Reaching 2000 renown for the faction pet is considerably harder. Reaching 2500 renown for the maxed faction pet… well, there are tons of threads on the forum about that.

So, the higher the sought renown, the higher the applied effort must be to reach that renown.

But, increasing a faction’s Hoard addresses that issue. Yet, reaching 2500 renown in most factions remains out of each for all but a fraction of the top 1% of the playerbase currently. If increasing a Hoard makes this issue easier, why is this outcome happening?

Diminishing returns.

Everyone knows that treasures go into a Hoard. No shocking revelations, there. But there’s some concepts at work that enforce a very steep diminishing returns system.

The basic XP formula looks extremely innocent. You need whatever the next Hoard’s level number will be in XP. If a Hoard’s level is 50, then 51 XP is needed for the next level.

Then, look at the XP distribution of the treasures themselves. 10, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500
Again, on the surface, not a big deal at all.

Now, let’s bring in the treasure drop table.

On the surface, again, not a big deal. The distribution is bugged, and there was an massive fight over this back in the day, where it was ultimately decided to leave the bugged formula in the game. In the end, the bugged distribution table doesn’t really matter in the long run, which is probably why the bugged formula was allowed to stay in the game.

But, here’s the kicker.

The gold costs of leveling up a Hoard

The sole reason for the gold costs on leveling up a Hoard is to enforce diminishing returns.

It’s the reason why a player can’t drop a stockpile of 2000 gold rings on to a hoard, even through they are rotting in their inventory. As a Hoard levels up, so does the cost of adding the next, marginal treasure to the Hoard.

At Hoard level 1, all treasures are effective at leveling up a Hoard. Very quickly, however, players learn that low-rarity treasures will quickly deplete their gold reserves. But, looking at the treasure drop table, more effective treasures are rarer and rarer drops. By the time renown increases for raising a Hoard stops at level 100, crowns are the lowest acceptable drops. There’s only a ~10% chance of a treasure of that rarity or better dropping from a chaos shard pull.

By Hoard level 125ish (or less depending on a given player’s perspective towards the matter), crowns become a poor treasure to add to the Hoard, so now the player is forced to look at lamps or better, which is a ~4% chance from a pull. Of that 55% treasure distribution rate, 4% of pulls is a “good” treasure, and the other 51% of pulls that yield treasures are “trash” and rot in inventory (sound familiar?). More and more chaos shards have to be farmed to yield treasures that are progressively lower and lower effectiveness as a player progresses with a faction’s Hoard. It is the combination of gold costs and lack of effective treasures at high Hoard levels that are blocking players from completing pure faction 500 runs currently.

1 Like

Almost worthless: New delve troops every 5 weeks. Minor orbs save 800-1000 souls getting troops from Lvl 19 to 20. It saves a little souls for medal upgrades.

I believe those are gold plated brass rings at best. More useless than a Growth Orb. At least the orb won’t turn your finger green.

1 Like