PlayStation Is Now Allowing Cross-Platform Games

In light of the news Sony has dropped today could something like this ever come to Gems of War?

Maybe even perhaps allow me to link my console account to mobile app?

This is my favorite part of the post:
The first step will be an open beta beginning today for Fortnite that will allow for cross platform gameplay, progression and commerce across PlayStation 4, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, and Mac operating systems. We see the beta as an opportunity to conduct thorough testing that ensures cross-platform play is best on PlayStation, while being mindful about the user experience from both a technical and social perspective.

Source: https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1044934800136536065

@PlayStation: Fortnite cross-platform play starts today in open beta. Full details: https://play.st/2OONYrv https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1044934800136536065/photo/1

2 Likes

Though it would be awesome. There’s a lot of folks who would feel shafted because they spent money on say PC and Xbox because their accounts had to be separate.
It would require an immense amount of restructuring that may be more trouble than it’s worth. We’ll see though.

1 Like

While that may be true still not a reason to not do it.

It depends. It could mean one of two things:

• Sony is taking more of a beating this quarter than they like, and making a special exception JUST for Fortnite is going to boost their numbers enough to keep some executives from being fired.
  • Sony is actually opening the door to cross-platform play.

Let’s all hope for the latter. That will be a big deal for all gaming, not just GoW.

I do think @awryan makes good points: if GoW merges there’s going to be some unhappiness among people who have spent money on different platforms. There might be a way to make most of them happy, though.

2 Likes
  1. I’m glad Sony has started backing off their anti gamer policies regarding cross play. I wonder if there was a change in executives a or this is the result of data analysis.

2. Cross play vs cross stores is quite different.

3. I’m not as keen to let the hackers in to the console environment. We have more than enough shenigins the developers approve of console. Everyone knows the top Guild on the leaderboard got to that spot via months of using the double trophy glitch… And was allowed to keep them. Just recently 2 in same Guild got 2 Power Orbs… I’m assuming they were allowed to keep them. All this is minor compared to PC.

I hope they keep it as is.

No point in changing now 3 years later.

I think this would be a welcome change for PS4 users and it could nudge Microsoft/x-Box into being open to change some of their silly policies too maybe.

Why? What would it hurt for them to change it?

Probably just visual bug :slight_smile:

1 Like

Omg. Please do this devs! My PC account is untouched basically now that I’m on PS4 but it has a ton more troops and such!

Seems like we have enough bugs as it is now. Just imagine them trying to sort it all out into one leader board and guild wars all merging into one as well.

Seems like they have enough going on in the gme now to work on extra… idk. Maybe it would make it easier for them to manage. Idk.

Hard telling.

1 Like

You’re probably right as nice as it would be :frowning:

1 Like

Lots of Xbox and PS4 guilds would be demoted in rank. :wink:

When guild wars started they determined the brackets based on Rank. I’m assuming they’re do the same thing again. Now that we’re in the top 10 it would work in our favor. We would stay in bracket 1 or 2. And my other guild, GNR would move up from bracket 80 to Bracket 16. :grinning:
Much better than when GW first started, we had to climb up from Bracket 300ish.

As a console player, I absolutely want to be able to play on my PC or mobile when not at the console. Also dumb with PC getting codes for resources and nobody else.

I’ve wanted cross play for this game since i started playing. If we can’t get full cross play, I would at least like to see Xbox/Sony/and a Switch version be playable together. That way, both “Console” and PC/Mobile players would have an “at home” and “on the go” option to play Gems.

This might actually change. From what I understand, Xbox was all cool with the codes and Sony wasn’t, so to be “fair”, they didn’t let either Console have them. In my opinion, this made no sense, because we don’t even play together, so it’s not like Xbox players would have an advantage over Sony players, as far as one player to another player, because we don’t game together.

Assuming we can get cross stuff for this game, we might see codes on console too.

Edited title to reduce confusion. This is a feature request, not an announcement.

1 Like

Or weekend “festivities” causing one platform connection outages but not the other. Imagine the travesty it would cause during GW.

I never said it was an announcement for Gems of War, just that Sony is now going to start allowing it starting with Fortnite as a open beta.

This was intended to be more informational and to make the devs aware in case this may change if they are able to do this in the future possibly.

Sorry if it caused any confusion.

Understood. In that case, perhaps a title like “Playstation Is Now Allowing Cross-Platform Games” might be more correct. The original title made it sound like GoW was announcing cross-platform play on Playstation (to me at least). Sorry for the tinkering!

1 Like

While we wish cross play was possible with console, at this time it still isn’t. Fortnight is a very notable exception to Sony’s usual policies regarding cross play.

However, if this continues to change we would love to investigate it in the future!

5 Likes