Players Quitting the Game Poll

Regardless of what others think or if you’re as happy with the game as ever.

Do you believe in the past 6 months more players are quitting the game than ever before?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you believe the massive change to the game economy brought in by Epic Tasks is to blame for alleged decrease in players?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you believe the difficulty of Factions/Delves is to blame for alleged decrease in players?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Would you spend (more) money on the game if Gems of War did _______ (please answer in the comments below) better?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I personally think that the devs were so focused on slowing players down that they over shot. The diehards still find a way to enjoy the game. But those only in the game for less than 2 years feel nothing but the game more of a grind than it’s worth. All but a few guilds are having retention issues for the most part. Where I see the biggest drop rate within the fawrmily is in a guild did that used to do legendary tasks and now no longer does. They are very much a casual guild with players who maybe play 7-10 hours a week. The reason I bring them up is because I’ve always been told “that’s the target audience.” The game isn’t for hardcore players, or those who play once a month or even once a week. But instead for those who play it about a hour a day. So to me, the changes brought on by 4.7 was successful in the goal of slowing down hardcore players (in everything but trophies evidently) but killed off a concerning amount of their target audiences enjoyment.

Do you believe in the business aspect of GoW that patch 4.7 did more harm than good to the bottom line?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

3 Likes

Question 4:

Offered better deals, either meaning the same things for less money, or more/better things for their current price points.

Retroactive Dragonknight Armor is worth $50 to me. It’s not worth it going forward, because uncertainty in direction/duration of the future game.

When I was new I didn’t know enough about the game to know to get it. And I don’t think I would have wanted to spend so much on the chance I’d still be playing this long had I known its value.

Rock and a hard place, for me :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

My apologies to early voters. Please resubmit. Initially I neglected to make the votes public so I had to go back and edit the post/code which reset some polls.

1 Like

Q4 is all greyed out.

It’s not a question. It’s my personal thoughts. So not completely needed for the polls, but I felt Q5 needed some context if the reader chooses to read it by clicking on it.

1 Like

More game modes, new things…

I like to Work towards and look forward to new stuff.

You know a game’s dying when watching ads gives petty resources.

2 Likes

Opinion on “more players leaving” probably differs greatly between GMs and non-GMs.

4 Likes

FYI, every few weeks GoW is breaking all-time peak for concurrent users on Steam. You may say it’s due to quarantine and it’s partly true, of course, but even before quarantine GoW had a very positive dynamic since fall.

3 Likes

Basically this paired with a lot of changes that were NOT changes at all like the [ :biohazard: sarcasm] “new game modes” [/:biohazard: sarcasm], and a severe LACK of quality of life changes among other things.

1 Like

Thanks for the 30 seconds of my life I just wasted trying to correct the word “short” to “shot”.
When in all actuality you added the typo to your quote. :person_facepalming:

1 Like

Keep in mind the number of mobile players who merely migrated over to Steam.
It’s been a while. But someone posted the drop rate of players from Google.
Regardless, the thread isn’t meant to be a debate between perception and fact. Only the devs know the true numbers and they won’t disclose them.

The polls are carefully phrased in an attempt to gain honest feedback.

Could be my fault in phrasing. But my intent was… Even if the person doesn’t believe that players are quitting more often than ever. If they are quitting, would “X” be the reason?

1 Like

Ah yes, because hidden text by spoilers can’t be selected it seems.

1 Like

We (Match Masters) lost 3 players with around 9 years game time in 5 days last week. Purely and simply on game direction and time. All without chatting with each other also, forming their own conclusions on the investment of time vs enjoyment.

I know several feel the same way, and it’s a shame.

Thanks for taking the time to broker the issue. I don’t really know if we are losing more than gaining, we probably still gain more players as there’s a bigger pool of none players than actual players, but in terms of longevity and converting new players into the next mid gamers/end gamers and then sustaining that pool of players, I’d say it’s the worst I’ve known for dedicated, long term player loss.

There’s always hope that the next patch at least is less carnivorous in the pursuit of income.

5 Likes

I’ve noticed a similar uptick. I think players debate it internally for months and when they see player X leaving they decide to jump on the train out as well. While others who want to quit, don’t because they see people jumping on the train. Which isn’t the ideal way to have someone play the game.

Too many are continuing to play due to obligation more than enjoyment. That saddens the Frank out of me.

9 Likes

From the perspective of a casual guild with mostly low level players and a few high level players, guild wars does more to kill participation than anything else. Every guild wars event the sand thing happens, an uber guild ends up in our bracket destroying any players that attempt to participate. Then those players just stop playing. We might make several hundred thousand points over the event. These other guilds are making over a million. I should screenshot it. Nvm.

Otherwise, our retention rate is not noticeably different. But I haven’t been tracking it closely to make an informed judgement, it’s just what it appears to be like atm.

Most of our low level members will drop off and be replaced every 1 to 2 months. So that’s 10 to 20 people per month. 1 to 5 people will last 1 to 3 months. And we have a few that look like they will play until the end of time.

Hope the info is helpful.

5 Likes

Yep, obligation through investment of time or money or both.

If only they realised that making things more enjoyable would convince the invested or obligated , or both - to stay on board, spend money where the value is proportionate to the cost.

You can have whales and other investors etc.

1 Like

I wanna walk away but I need those medals for the Geoff Achievement. And with them increasing renown achievements they are pushing, we’re probably gonna need 50K in a few updates. After getting that achievement, as much as I wanna walkaway, I’ll prob just log in do dailies and log out. Win/Win for me and the dev (Since I’m a daily player at that point)

Edit: lvl 1425, VIP 12. Be nice if they adjusted the VIP rewards to match where the game is now.

Over the last 4 years I’ve seen people come & go and the last few months don’t appear to have spiked more than any other period of time. There are months I’ve seen 2-3 people leave & then no one for another 3 months. Every new patch or update, someone finds a reason to call it quits. Tis the circle of gaming life.

I can’t answer the second 2 questions properly because of course there are people leaving because of task changes & delves. But there are people leaving for a hundred other reasons as well. Nothing I’ve seen in my guild family indicates those leaving are doing so more because of either of those reasons (certainly not delves as most people do what they’re comfortable with then just ignore delves). So i guess I can answer the delve question after all. If I had to estimate reasons for leaving from my guild family i’d say the overwhelming majority are because life gets in the way & they no longer have time to play so its easier to stop cold turkey than agonize over only being able to play a 1/4 of the time they want to.

Not sure anything would change my occasional spending at this point.

2 Likes

There are many different ways for players / guilds to focus their attention these days.

I’ve been playing for a year and a week. Over the last 8 months I’ve grown within a guild family and made it up to the top guild of the family. I’ve watched people move down in the family for various reasons and also watched lots of long term members leave.

The trophy accumulation switch was a huge change in the game. Some people enjoyed grinding PVP for trophies, but the change made it such that any requirement under 1000 trophies was now “easy” for members of top guilds.

Prior to that change, you had the introduction of medals in explore. When that happened, it became a question of how were people going to split their time to effectively farm for medals while still spending enough time to grind trophies in PVP. That was the first big schism I saw. Some people just wanted to focus on explore to earn medals and gold for LTs, while others still valued the trophy grind. Once you could earn trophies in explore, another schism occurred as people looked to find a guild that supported the way they wanted to play the game that continues to this day.

I didn’t see the introduction of ETs causing people to quit the family or the game. Mostly it became a marketing item for recruitment as you could now advertise that your guild still earned LTs.

You also can’t overlook guild wars burnout. Experienced players now have plenty of choices for finding a guild that meets what the player wants to get out of the game.

High trophy count chasing or just enough trophies
Multiple LTs or is completing ETs enough
Intense Guild Wars focus or take it easy
Then you have event participation along with playing with your friends and finding a place you feel like you belong.

Oh and as far as spending money - I spend some, but generally the offers are poor values. I’d spend more if I saw the value.

6 Likes