Pet facing direction

Platform, device version and operating system:
Windows 10 x64

Screenshot or image:

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
I just noticed that my cat looks quite unnatural on my shoulder - while others are looks fine. After short investigation I discovered that everything depends on facing: pets are following the picture on their cards. In most cases pet is facing right, and in that case everything is fine. But there are handful of cases where pet is facing left, and all this cases looks like bad photoshop on the shoulder. This pets are:

• Dragonkitty
  • Falabella
  • Manticub
  • Sir Botlet IV
  • And the kitty on the screenshot (purple loot pet). I have it as Lucky, but I fear, I renamed him.

Can they be mirrored, please?

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
As long as pets exists. But I just noticed it.

Steps to make it happen again

• Equip wrong-faced pet from the list above.
  • Observe results.
1 Like

What do you mean by facing left? Looking at the two pets you have pictures of, here are their cards. They both face right.

Screenshot_20210616-090747__01
Screenshot_20210616-090753__01

Here is Lucky’s card and on the shoulder side by side. It’s the same.

2 Likes

Look on the Auraio. His head is at right, and when he is on the shoulder, he looks naturally, as if he stood on the rear hooves on the shoulder. Just as most of other familiars.

Now look on Lucky, with his body turned left. On my shoulder it have right paw hanging in the air, and the tail is right in my neck. Obviously wrong. Same about other listed familiars.

1 Like

Reflects the direction of the game currently; facing away from sensible, logical, actually enjoyable fun, which it was ; now increasingly distant; was. Game needs more than a few pets facing the right direction. But I also agree with the point made: aesthetically ; its off.

Why has this has been posted in the Bug Reports category? :confused:

All the pets cited (with the exception of Dragonkitty who is cross-eyed anyway lol,) have their gaze set in the same general direction as the player’s avatar. Which I assume is part of the artists’ brief when creating them.

1 Like

I am sorry. I still don’t get it.

The tail in the neck is a bit weird, sure. But, having pets on shoulders is just a cute thing, not something needing visual perfection. I view it like how in some games, hair clips weapons.

I could argue Auraio looks off too. His hooves aren’t on the top of your shoulder. It looks like he is sliding off.

This isn’t a bug in my opinion, just commentary on the game’s graphics.

6 Likes

There are about 70 pets. And all of them, except listed 5, are facing right, along with the player (well, naturally, as they supposed to sit on his shoulder). I can agree that this 5 are artistical choice - but it seems like oversight: maybe author was unaware of importance the direction, or maybe they was reversed somewhere in the process. But result is obvious: this pictures looks wrong, comparing to all others.

P.S. After careful examination there is also Shrynx.

Hey all,
I’ve just changed this to game feedback, as this currently is working as intended.

In the case of Pet art assets, we are more focused on the direction of where the Pet is looking, but I have passed this feedback along :woman_mage:t2:

6 Likes

Considering that the gaze of these five Pets is in line with the Hero/Heroine, if they were simply mirrored it would likely look much, much weirder than it supposedly does currently. If I had more time, I’d mock up an image to see/demonstrate.

The alternative would be to pay each artist to recreate the image with both body and gaze facing the same direction as the player’s avatar, but that kind of seems unnecessary and unlikely.

2 Likes

shrug I doubt about “much”. In the current state we have 6 wrong placed pets, and four of them (Lucky, Owlbunny, Manticub and Botlet) really looks along player’s sight. Simultaneously, they looks quite weird on the my shoulders. If you’ll flip them, well, they will look distracted… and that’s all. What is so much “weird” about it? Weirder than sitting backwards? :slight_smile:

Of course, this is out of question.

1 Like

Orig:

Flipped:

In conclusion:

IMG_20210620_105857

2 Likes
One more for good measure:

The lighting’s obviously a little weird, but I don’t think having both gaze and body facing the same direction (as the player) is an awful, awful suggestion or anything – could potentially be a little more cohesive.

1 Like

I think they have done their best with Owlbunny, highlighting the fact that owls can turn their head 270 degrees. As for the others… I just came to talk about Owlbunny :cry:

2 Likes

One day @terberos. One day… Maybe. :wink:

2 Likes

Next week you can get your Owlbunny from the Wednesday pet rescue, if you don’t have it already.

2 Likes

I know, I know! My long wait will come to an end! Most likely the game won’t work that day or i’ll just have some technical difficulties :rofl:

1 Like

So, it isn’t too weird after all.

Try this with obviously weird current ones.

Falabella

Manticub (Aw! My brow!)

And Lucky that started it all

Try to reverse them. :slight_smile:

I totally agree… would the body of those pets be mirrored but the direction they are currently facing kept, those pets would “sit” better on the shoulder of the hero