Old troops rework suggestion

That’s not unusual - all summoning troops are the same in that respect.

Dokkalfar does a BIT of spread damage as well, but I’d love to see something like this:

“Deal [Magic] damage divided randomly across all troops. Summon a Giant Spider with full mana, and gain an extra turn.”

This allows him to cast Giant Spider immediately, and refill his mana. But it only works when you have the empty slot. Giant Spider also summons, so it’s hard to combo it unless you actively eat your own troops, or some such.

Summoning troops with full mana should never happen. .
But resurrecting your dead troops? That’s spell material for new mythic :wink:

Why do you think it shouldn’t happen? Doesn’t seem like a problem to me…

Functionally, it just splits the spell into two parts, where the second part only happens if there is an empty slot. Seems like a very reasonable ability.

So far as i can tell, it seems like it is rare for a summon troop to have two parts of its spell work off of its own magic. For such a change should his mana cost be altered? It would definitely put dokkalfar back on the play list, and in cases of emergency, can help rebuild the team if needed.

Ugh, no no no! The giant spider can cast even without an empty slot to summon into, and the Full Mana Giant Spider doesn’t only refill Dokk, but could fuel something else to keep him alive, like Lady A. Even without the damage, Dokk would be a neverending mana and spider fountain, impossible to deal with unless you could take out 2 troops in a turn.

1 Like

@killerman3333’s wet dream. This is what he wants!

1 Like

I think he’s talking about the empty slot to summon Giant Spider into.

Also, emphasis added.

4 Likes

Oh, it’s not nearly that bad. Compare to Raven - [Magic +3] damage to a targeted enemy, plus a conditional extra turn & mana gain. For a casting cost of 10!

Dokk is a flat 10 damage spread randomly, plus a summon. My change suggestions just amount to “if the summon was successful, refill Dokkalfar’s mana” - hardly a game-breaker. Yes, you can cast him again the next turn, but you’ve already summoned 2 new troops, so it’s almost certain you can’t actually summon a second spider, and thus can’t do the mana refill trick.

And Dokk costs 13 to boot.

I think the problem is Hunter Mark itself. I would be perfectly happy if Hunter Mark also pulls the target into the 1st position as well… which makes a lot of intuitive sense imo…

1 Like

Mhm
1234567890. .

Let’s not forget this thread while we’re referencing old threads!

1 Like

Not really, i just want his split damage to scale off mana. The extra turn if able to summon giant spider WITH full mana is a bit over the top for me. I run dokkalfar, and he is my clean-up hitter like 9/10 times. I like that he summons giant spider, however it felt like he got nerfed when orb weaver was released, due in part to the way orbweaver functions.

It’s a one from long long ago, goblins aren’t relevant anymore xD

1 Like

I think we really need magic scaling on more than one spell component. Let’s take infamous Dokk as an example.

Dokk currently can’t do anything but a fixed amount of damage, because scaling already goes to the level of the summoned Giant Spider. 10 damage actually used to be pretty decent ages ago, with all the kingdom bonuses you can get now it’s barely noticeable. Setting the fixed damage to a higher amount (like 25) also isn’t a solution, this would make the troop way overpowered in the earlier stages of the game where you don’t have any significant bonuses yet. Something like [5 + magic] feels somewhat fine, the engine just doesn’t support it yet.

Same applies to quite a few other troops. The fixed component tends to be either too strong for early game or too weak for late game.

That’s patently false. There are at least two troops with multiple effects that scale off Magic I can think of just off hand, and there’s probably more: Wight and Nobend Brothers.

2 Likes

Avina, banshee etc.

extra magic doesnt go to waste as we now have troops that can drop your magic stats (dracos, desease/pestilence - what was it called?)

Wait, that’s from the most recent patch, right? Interesting, looks like there might have been some changes under the hood that allow more customizing. I wonder how flexible it really is, the changed troops all seem to use the same single formula for each component (e.g. [Magic + 1] for anything Wight related).

Herald of Chaos has scaled two effects off magic for as long as I can remember.

Don’t know if any troops that do such things use different formulas, maybe Lyya can dig it up.

1 Like