(Not a bug) Weapon Perk not working

Please check the known issues list before posting a bug.

Note: If you are uncomfortable reporting your bug publicly you can privately message @Cyrup or @Kafka with the completed bug template.

Platform, device version and operating system:
X box One

Screenshot or image:

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
This is simply what you were trying to do and what happened instead. Example:
‘I was trying to start an Arena battle, but Gems of War loaded Broken Spire quest instead!’

I am trying to use my hero weapon as normal. All other perks work but crazy ( first extra perk) does not explode gem when weapon is used.

**How often does this happen?
Happens every time II use my hero’s Weapon

When did it begin happening?**
Dec 11, 2018

Was this a once-off bug or has it been a consistent issue? Does it only happen after doing a particular game mode?
Began today with the update

Steps to make it happen again
Use weapon, Crazy perk does not explode gem

Sometimes there are certain steps that can lead to a problem that may not be obvious!
Example: I lose once in the Arena.
I then exit to the world map.
I then tap on Broken Spire on the map and then tap Arena.
Broken Spire’s quest loads instead of the Arena

Crazy Perk was changed to give 2 manas to a random ally. All exploding Perks were changed into giving mana straight away.

1 Like

Perk still reads as explode gem, and honestly exploding gem did more than give mana, it changed the board sometimes in great ways. Why change it?

Because some other weapons would be hindered mostly useless as these explosions would sometimes removes 4/5 matches before you could gain an extra turn. This would happen sometimes in weapons designed to generate gems like Divine Protector for example.

I won’t argue that some people about liking these effects, but they were causing more harm than good in some cases because for some reason the devs still put strange upgrades into many weapons, so instead of checking all the weapons they applied a global change.

“Crazy” just happens to be the worse of all these upgrades now. The other ones that would, for example, explode one Red Gem now gives 2 manas to all Red Allies.

The devs rushed and did the minimum possible work to try and address a player complaint quickly. As a result, it’s kind of net neutral because it’s done as much harm as good and we’ll have to wait another version (or longer) to get the right fix.

Players pointed out any kind of “destroy” or “explode” effect on weapons that generate gems make that weapon worse by disrupting clusters. The specific examples were usually Divine Protector and Flammifer.

The devs chose “remove every effect with ‘explode’ in the description”. My speculation is they only had time for a quick fix and the problem came to them via “a summary of a forum post as typed by some staff member into a problem ticket”, so the people who chose the implementation didn’t have all of the proper context.

So some weapons, like Divine Protector and Flammifer, are now objectively better. But other weapons that actually relied on explosions are worse. And all of the weapons that generate-then-destroy are as bad as they were before.

It’s possible they’re still performing analysis and considering a longer-term fix, but I haven’t seen a comment to that effect so far.

3 Likes

Yes the weapon I use Flesh Ripper is now worse for the change, which is why I noticed it, the explosion would actually cause 4-5 matches sometimes.

Hi @daisymarie11, the Affixes were indeed changed and this is why your Crazy affix on Fleshripper is doing something else. For more information please see the patch notes.

In terms of the decision-making process behind this, from what I gathered it didn’t seem rushed, but I will inquire with the team further and see if there’s anything else to share (and in that case this will need to be moved from bug reports > feedback).