Non-issue for most players - ignore this thread

Platform, device version and operating system:
Reported on PC/Steam and Apple mobile, likely all PC/mobile platforms.

Screenshot or image:

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
Players should be able to log in as usual but a small number are blocked by the “Gems of War has a new version available. You will need an update in order to continue playing.” message. This has been reported by two players in my guild family [update: now three, Dorgath is the third. update#2: now four].

The players were/are on client version 7.1.5. The update to 7.2 is not available yet, although it has been announced.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
It is happening for a small number of players and started in the last few hours.

Steps to make it happen again
Be one of the unlucky players.

edited: no longer a bug report report as this is most likely related to one of the community tools

edit#2: changed title

1 Like

I’ll keep my speculation separate: it seems like the 7.2 update is already on one of the live servers and any players being routed to that server will be locked out.

I am one of those locked out on both Steam and mobile

This is very likely caused by some community service/tool/bot you registered your account with, e.g. Guild View. My guess is that the service already puts the 7.2 version number into the request, causing your server profile to migrate to 7.2. You won’t be able to access your account again until your game client has also been upgraded to the same version number.

It’s currently unclear which community service might be doing this.

2 Likes

Happens to me as well. steam and mobile both. No updates available on neither which most likely means the account already migrated automatically to the new version but the tools are working with the older version creating the clash

Taran’s Guild View does seem like a likely culprit. Some of the affected players here are guild leaders, I’m checking whether it is all.

@Dragon_Queen, does Taran’s Guild View run using your account details?

One player in our family mentioned being hooked up to TaransWorld and still able to access the account, so it might be something else.

1 Like

But are they using Guild view specifically? Because in the interest of science I logged out of Guildview, tried my game, still got the error. Tried to log back in and got this

You won’t be able to get rid of the error once it shows up. Logging into your account with a higher version number disables any further access with lower version numbers, like currently your game client.

Edit: Taran showing that error means it’s using the “current” version number, so it might not be causing this. Unless some background jobs it is running (e.g. to fetch weekly numbers) somehow use a different version number.

@Dank nope. Same thing. Asking me to contact Taran as it requires an update. Same error as JohnE

1 Like

There has been some mention of an Discord bot that also provides functionality somewhat similar to Guild View. Any blocked players here that have/haven’t registered their account?

Edit: Name seems to be “GoWStatBot”, so far all blocked members in our family seem to have been using it to retrieve guild data.

1 Like

That won’t be necessary. Taran is running into the same issue when accessing your account, his 7.1.5 request gets blocked because your server profile is 7.2.

Yup. I do suspect that might be a tool running on an older/ newer version than the game has hence creating the clash. Most likely Taran’s tool does not interfere with that and his tool also clashes with the updated server player’s profiles

1 Like

I use GuildView and can still log in.

But I’m not using the bot.

Issue was caused by GoWStatBot already sending the new version number when reading guild data. It’s been reverted back to 7.1.5 until after 7.2 drops.

Important things to know:

• It’s safe to use the bot to read guild data now, it no longer triggers account migration to 7.2.
  • Gems of War won’t run for those accounts that have been migrated to 7.2, the game client first has to be updated to 7.2 as well. There is no way around this, the update should hopefully drop in a day or two.
  • Other tools that need to log into accounts (e.g. Taran’s Guild View) also won’t be able to work with accounts migrated to 7.2. Those tools first need to switch over to 7.2, which usually happens a few days after the update drops.

Please don’t pester Support about this, there’s nothing they can do, it’s not feasible to migrate accounts back to 7.1.5.

8 Likes