As long as this game exists, there are “random” rules in card drops. It was totally fine while we had tenths of cards, it became seriously annoying when it became hundreds, and now it’s pure madness, unfortunately.
Chest drops. As only rarity regulated, I may never get some cards, and got other in too big amounts. Most visible with mythics, where I am missing dozens of them, but now and again getting duplicates of one I have long ago. I have 3 Amaroks and 3 Jotnars, for example. But when I checked unowned cards, I noticed that I am missing lower rarity cards too! Knightsong? Rattigar Gladiator? Fell Hydra? Why I never encountered these cards?
Dragon egg drops. You know, Dragonite isn’t exactly freely available in the game, and as there is no rules against random, it seems, chance to fill all 6 dragons isn’t too good. I bought 11 eggs before gave up and bought Topasart in store. And I have more, and more expensive eggs ahead.
Gnome rewards drops. I have tons of duplicated gnomes and tarot cards, which I don’t need long ago, because I have 4 copies of max rarity. And still I get them again and again. It’s a very annoying, especially for Epic rewards.
Maybe I missed something else, but you got the picture, I think.
So what I would want to see?
For chests and chest-like drops (like eggs):
Rarity of the card selected first.
Users always got the missing cards in a given rarity, if such cards are in the pool.
If no missing cards left in a given rarity, users always got the cards which they aren’t maxed yet (and not have amount enough to max them, probably? Not sure about this one)
If users have all their cards in a given rarity, and all of them are maxed, well, that’s it - only pure random remains.
For a Gnome rewards:
Same as Sentinels for the Clan chests: if I have the 4 cards of max rarity, it removed from the drop pool.
I think, it would greatly benefit the players, and hardly will harm the Infinity profits - there are too many suggested pays in the game anyway.
I’m not so sure about this. One of the primary draws of the game is filling out your collection. This suggestion would make collection significantly easier, which means many paying players will no longer have that carrot dangled in front of them. That greatly affects time played and money payed.
If you go to the filter in your troop collection and select the unowned, it’ll show all the ones you still need. If you also search by keyword for “delve”, it’ll show MOST of the delve troops (just a couple of exceptions), which can only be gotten from chaos shards. It helps to check sometimes, just to be sure you haven’t missed one somewhere. It’s easily done.
Oh, really? What “carrot” we are talking here? I believe, you can strike out everything lower than Legendary in “normal” chests - this cards are common enough to fill out your collection in background - I thought I missed some more recent ones, but it seems all of them are the event cards. And is it really enticing to getting this rare Legendary drop, or even more rare Mythic - only to reveal that you got this card already, like, ten times or more - and still didn’t have the needed drop? I play this game since beta - so more than 13 years now - and I gave up to getting all mythics long ago - it requires much more time or money than I ever ready to spend. But Legendary cards? Surely I had to get all of them eventually? Well, no. I am missing about dozen of them. Do you think it’s a good thing? And what a purpose of endless treasure gnome cards with gem keys, aside of thrilling sensation of getting zero main reward, except 1 soul? No, I disagree with you here, sorry.
I believe, Impatient people will buy everything anyway, and they will pay more eagerly, if they will get something valuable for their money, and not mere “5th copy of this Legendary card again”. I don’t think it’s a good design at all, and while it may be overlooked (but still painful) with 1/6 chance with Dragons, it’s hardly harmless when you select randomly between 100+ cards for a card which falls 1/100 times itself.
Yes, that’s how I quickly filled the (5) gaps now, when I knew what I missed. Now, aside of legendary and mythics, I am missing several siege and bounty cards still, but it cannot be helped, I think.
For legendaries from the vault, sentinels from Underspire, and dragons from eggs, I agree with you about duplicate protection. The effort required simply doesn’t match the value of the troop. I think a guarantee of getting unowned troops from chests may be too much, though, since keys are much easier to obtain.
Pity systems are another option I’d love to see implemented. Imagine getting sentinel/dragon/mimic/tarot “shards” to work towards your goal bit by bit when you don’t hit the jackpot. This has been suggested many times, and I think would be great for morale!
That’s why I said about “time and money”. Of course, I can spend more time farming keys, and potentially get all mythics… if I can farm at least 10 hours per day for the next 40-50 years. But because I can’t, it’s quite non-reliable idea, thank you.
But anyway, it was example of how “mythic farming” doesn’t work even for quite involved players (my 9300 hours in game looks quite involving for me). So even if I2+ will change the current algorythms for my liking, it still will be quite a long time. Maybe 10-15 years of farming, I dunno. In any way, it will not be like “everyone immediately will get all cards and stop playing”, as @NerdieBirdie seemingly sees it.
It’s not so easy, unfortunately. These days I simply stopped to spend any keys, except the gold ones, in my everyday play. Because it’s too painful to get just another copy of mythic which I don’t need, and chances for such outcome is rising with each released mythic. So I spending my keys during the first week of the month, when a new mythic released - at least this way I can guarantee that mythic which I’ll get will be a new one. And usually I exhaust all my glory chests, all my gem chests, all reserves of my accumulated glory and if it will not work (too often), I add about 2-3 thousands of gems for a good measure. In 2/3 of the cases it’s still not enough, then I simply give up of this mythic.
And during that I am getting about dozen of Legendary cards. All duplicated. Regardless of a fact that I am still missing about dozen of them. So no, I have not much hope to get a new mythic otherwise.
I don’t mean to sound facetious - are you crafting unowned mythics when they come up in the Soulforge rotation, and pulling for them with event keys when their kingdom comes around? I’m not sure how many hours I’ve played total, but imagine it’s far less than 9300, and I’m currently missing only 24 troops, most of which are campaign/PvP troops, vault reward troops, or Underspire sentinels. I’ve spent some money over the years (VIP 7), so I might accumulate keys a little faster than F2P players, but I don’t play very long each day, and frequently miss weeks of PvP or don’t complete Underspire.
It’s possible to have terrible RNG, particularly for the miniscule chances for hoard mimic, sentinels, and tarot cards (thus the often recommended pity systems), but I’ve not often heard people having complaints with obtaining standard legendaries and mythics.
Well, crafting mythic is another aspect which need much more involvement than I have. Gems are too rare accumulate by itself - most reliable source I know is daily dungeon, and it’s not much of them, to say the least. So, compromising with myself, I am gathering gems as can, collect enough for about 2 mythics, and buy them when I see lucrative once. Rarely. Again: mythics are too high level involvement for me, so I don’t expect much.
Oooh okay I think I see the problem. Aside from sentinels, tarot cards, and Cattauri King, the ones you’re missing in that screenshot are PvP troops. They were/are available for silver or gold marks. Spectrosaur and Rimewing are currently available, while the previous PvP troops are only accessible through the Soulforge rotation, not chests.
The wonderful Shirley maintains a list of “gated troops” that were/are limited or paywalled. Finding which troops are limited only to Soulforge or other methods will become much easier in the 9.4 update.