New player to Gems of War - looking for some direction

Hey all! Thanks for all the feedback. Couple more stupid questions…

In this team:

Ol’ Faithful
Treant***
Alchemist
Valkyrie
Banshee

What do the 3 asterisks mean?

And another really dumb, I mean REALLY dumb question… I kind of missed this point in the tutorial but I figured I would ask.

On a troop card there is a colored number in the upper left hand of the card. I know this is how many of that colored mana you need to activate the power. But what I don’t fully understand is what the colored icon turns into once you reach the amount needed. It turns into a crystal ball looking thing with a number on it.

What is that called? I know… stupid.

And what does the number indicate?

Thanks!

Each asterisk means the traits needed. In this case Treant would be better having/ or he needs all three traits unlocked, the other cards with no astekisks means that the traits are not essential for the team, so you could use tthe cards with no traits.

It’s the magic power, it’s the status that defines basically “how much of something” a spell does. In some spells the magic power determines the total damage using some equations that are not displayed in the game. For example Musketeer deals Magic [+2] Damage to an enemy, it means that if his magic is 10, then he does 12 ( Magic [+2]) of damage with his spell, and the number 10 would be what is being displayed when a spell is ready to use on that crystal ball.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick response. I feel less idiotic already!

No need for “self-bashing”, ask as much as you need and at some point you will be experienced at the game. The you’ll be able to also help others. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s the circle of life.

2 Likes

Just to expand/explain a bit on Treant’s traits. His third trait is Stoneskin, which reduces skull damage but 50%, which allows him to take a lot more hits from skulls before falling, and means the armour he gains from his spell is 50% more effective as well. (since any skull damage to it is reduced by 50%). Big (2nd trait) is also useful as you’ll be getting a lot of 4 and 5 matches if you play your Alchemist and Valkyrie casts correctly (always aim to cast them on a colour that will give you a 4 or 5 match), so Treant will be getting a lot of extra health from all these matches.

1 Like

A quick word on things that i didn’t see when i skimmed through:

As you pvp, looking at the 3 trophy matches to get an idea for a team is not a bad idea, so long as you understand that defensive teams and offensive teams are far different. Pvp versus AI is intrinsically different than it would be were it personally controlled. You can spend gold to see the team, it’s relatively cheap, or you will get it automatically with VIP3.

And speaking of VIP level, another thing worthy of note is in game purchases. There is no pay-to-win here. Only time savers. At lvl 200 you can and will regularly whoop the ass of 1k players.

It is widely held as gospel that should you enjoy the game and choose to support the (awesome) devs by purchasing a pack, the best long term bang for your buck is without a doubt the death knight armor. It’s got the best multipliers across the board. Better to save up for this than buying smaller packs here and there, should that become a temptation.

Finally, I feel I should point out that those people that prefer/suggest spending early gold on chests are definitely the minority. The gains are short, the cards are weak and the price at that early stage of the game could be better spent elsewhere, or so most of us believe. I recommend not taking that advice.

Good luck!

5 Likes

Excellent responses all. This thread really got me going. At some point, I wouldn’t mind adding a Newbie section to the fandom wikia.

2 Likes

Im very new to the game, pretty much working on synergy between my troops and matching gems trying to win. I liked a lot of the ideas I read. Sadly the only soul generator I have is a Wight. Im leveling him up and am working storylines, along with a lil pvp. I’d like to link my gowdb, but not sure if thats possible?

Don’t forget to do Merlantis kingdom storyline for Azura the kindgom Epic. She is great.

@Maxthor2789 Hey Thanks! I currently have Broken Spire, Adana and just finished up Whitehelm quests today. Ill start on Merlantis next! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, I dont have Merlantis even on my map. share which direction from the group of Broken Spire, Adana, Zhul’Kari and Karakoth should i head to find the location?

It’s the furthest kingdom on the left in the sea

1 Like