New player needs some advice on team building

Hi everyone,

I have started playing gems of war two weeks ago and need some advice for my team. I am currently playing
Treant***
Alchemist**
Hellcat
Goblin Rocket*

I like the idea of controlling the board and looping via 4s and 5s while dishing out some damage at the same time. Every once in awhile I cast Treant, when nothing else is available or if I get an extra turn out of it and I use skulls whenever I can one shot the opponent. It’s quite reliable and I can consistently defeat teams with several thousand more points than I have. But I would like to have a (control?) team with some midgame potential. This team feels pretty maxed out besides pumping up my kingdoms, where I have the magic ones already at 10. I am also using Knight Coronet, Alchemist, 2x Ranger, once in awhile but have the same problem. It just doesn’t scale too well. I only have 4 legends (Emperor Khorvash, Tesla, Venoxia and Behemoth) and am missing a couple of epics as well (unfortunately green seer, read some good stuff about her plus giant spider or green slime).

Any ideas for a similar control team just with higher potential for the midgame? I thought about EK + Mercy + Valk + X, but I don’t want to grind the stones to trait her without some advice. I also tried the guardians, but they are just too random. Without the possibility to freeze, they just leave the board full of mana and skulls for the enemy more often than not.

Sorry for the long post. Any help is highly appreciated. I really like this game and just need some advice for my team building and some goals to go for.

Hello!

You are pretty close to my favorite board control team:
Hellcat
Alchemist
2x Goblin Rocket

This has potential not only for midgame but also for the late game. I’m using it in Guild Wars in bracket 1 with great results, often not giving the AI a single move. Kitteh and Alchemist loop each other nicely and if they come to a stop, boom boom rockets!

My other fav control team would be:
Green Seer
Giant Spider
2x Kraken

I know that you don’t have the troops for this (yet), but if you like control oriented teams, you should definetely work for the stones for krakens, as I’m sure you will get them squids one day.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. My hellcat is pretty squishy to be put in first place, maybe when all kingdoms are leveled. Or do u use one of the rockets in first place? At times I am glad to have the tanky Treant up front, especially when the starting board doesn’t provide the necessary mana for Alch or Hellcat.
The other team does look like it would suit me well, a fully traited Kraken looks pretty scary. I’ll just hope that cthulu sends me two of his kraken next time I open a gem chest :wink:

2 Likes

I use Kitteh as first troop, yeah, it is squishy but usually it survives long enough to start the loop. Be sure to use a banner which would help to get your loopers going. But yeah, having all kingdoms leveled and at 5* helps a lot :slight_smile:

BTW, try to join an active guild, if you already haven’t. This will give you loads of keys and thus opportunity to get more troops.

1 Like

I am in an active guild, where a couple of experienced players donate gold for us noobies. We (or better they) do the 100k tasks for every color every week. Without the guild I would never have come that far in only two weeks. Btw, what do I need for the kingdoms to give the double attribute bonus? How many troops or levels or traits?

Treant, dryad rowanne and valkrie would also be pretty good early on. Treant with his tanky nature, dryad to feed treant /rowanne and barrier rowanne and valkrie for souls and feed dryad and rowanne.

Just tried the hellcat alchemist and 2x goblin rocket team, awesome thanks for the tip, took out my opponent in 1 turn. Justice can’t make a match tough if they never get a turn.

3 Likes

Once you get green seer you can do the same with purple and green troops. Just watch out for Mab!

1 Like

For more damage: Alchemist GR GR Terraxis

As @Whiskeyjack mentioned get Seer then try:

Seer
Giant Spider
Boar Rider
Boar Rider

Functions the same as the hellcat/Chemist rocket team.

Also try out a team I got from Mithran I think it was:

Black Beast
Ettin
Seer
Giant Spider

One of my earliest teams that always worked well was using my main. Though many just exclude the main these days. Maybe you can tinker and see what you think. Well anyways this is the team I used when I was new.

• Gorgotha
  • Terraxis
  • Main (War and Peace)
  • Crimson Bat

Thanks for all the suggestions. Let’s just hope that I find a green seer fast. Looks like it is key to some really nice builds.
What I just tried was to change my rocket for a Zephyros:

Treant***
Alchemist**
Hellcat
Zephyros

It also works really nicely. Casting Zephyros’ spell does break the loop in most cases, but still provides quite some board control, especially when leaving skull matches on the board. It also deals a nice 50-60 dmg on a regular basis, speeding things up quite a bit. This team is also not as vulnerable to being frozen as the rocket team, since it is entirely possible to fill up zephyros without looping and it still deals a nice amount of damage in a couple of rounds. It might even work better when fully traited with air link as third trait, but I’m still missing some stones for that.

New players and their loops. Cute. There are lots of options for looping, but you will eventually grow bored if them. TROLLS are another option for looping teams which I notice are hardly ever used. Forest Troll/Sea Troll & Dark Troll/Rock Troll for example. Drop Queen Aurora (rainbow link) at the bottom, then add your damage dealer in the middle - it’ll be game over in the blink of an eye.

1 Like

I’m a very long-time player and I still really like loop teams. The nice thing is that at endgame there are so many to choose from. Everything gets boring eventually, but I suppose if you find loops to be “cute” then hey, I like cute things.

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s cute but only natural that beginners use looping teams, as they are one of the few things that work really well and are semi-competitive without having to trait any epics or legends. I tried building a team around emperor khorvash, but it just didn’ t work with only the first trait on him and I just don’t have the stones to further trait him. But if you have any other suggestions of strong and semi-competitive builds that do not require any fully traited epics or legends, I’ll be glad to try them out. Because in one point you are right: Using the same team over and over does get boring.

1 Like

I love playing my cute looping team against the cute psion/Ragnagord/famine/famine cute meta team which is fielded by cute players as a cute defence team :relaxed:

2 Likes