New Hero Class: Corsair

It already does though since it adds whatever gold the enemy team has. Not the easiest condition to fulfill, but some teams run Leprechaun or a hero class with the Cunning tree and Light Fingers.

1 Like

Plus since the spell hits randomly, in theory it can hit the same target twice for double damage. I haven’t seen it target the same enemy twice in the same cast yet unless they were the only target left though (potential bug? Working as intended? Rng working against me).

The rumor I heard was it sat at 1:1, then someone in the beta was reliably doing 300+ damage with it and they nerfed it.

So apparently sometimes they listen to beta feedback.

I’ve upgraded my analysis spreadsheet for Corsair (and Plaguelord, Dervish, Tidecaller and Hierophant).

Link to thread

Link to spreadsheet

Then they make inferior to Skeleton Key, which make it redundant

Yeah, balance is a tough thing.

If we imagine a number line that puts Skeleton key at 100 and a useless weapon at 0, it’s obvious that from about 0-50 nobody’s going to be happy. Ideally a weapon should probably be between 60 and 80. Skeleton Key is a bit too powerful in that it warped the meta by itself even though there’s really only one team that uses it. But it’s not quite so powerful that it needs a nerf.

That makes 100 part of the blurry line between “really good” and “broken”. Obviously Skeleton Key isn’t broken. I can beat it pretty reliably if I’m prepared, and I have quite a few teams that can crack it open.

But where’s the line end? 110? 120? How do I tell, when designing the weapon, where it falls?

The story I heard in testing is it was very easy to make a team that was far too powerful. Think Rope Dart, or Life and Death, or your favorite broken team you can’t beat. Now imagine a team that’s faster and harder to beat. Do you want that in your PvP every day? Do you want it in your GW? I sure don’t.

So they knew they had a weapon at > 100. It’s hard to hit 100 exactly. They knocked it down to probably at most 80. That’s an easier target to hit. So it’s redundant. Oh well. If every weapon had to be an equal or more powerful version of everything before it, the game would be a nightmare.

2 Likes

It would be like games like WoW and Diablo where every major patch there are new weapons and items that make all old weapons and items obsolete because the new ones do they same stuff but just have higher number values attached to them. Personally, I like that (most) troops in this game continue to stay relevant as new troops get released. I wouldn’t want to live in a GoW world where awesome troops like infernus and skeleton key become obsolete just because a new shiny troop came along and did the same thing but with higher numbers.

And that’s why I’m alright with what they decided to do with this weapon.

2 Likes

You still ignoring the fact that old gears are more op than new gears which doesn’t make sense. And yes No one wants to see a weapon that’s toooo op.
but still doesn’t make sense. (All games make new gears every month and non of these gears are weaker than the previous release unless it’s paid content)
If We are talking like this is because we want to use these weapons and put old weapons in closet for bit.
And what’s the point of making weapons that similar to old ones and weaker?

new weapons and items that make all old weapons and items obsolete.
It’s just the opposite in here and still doesn’t make sense.
New stuff should be an upgrade to old ones.
You don’t expect gears from ww2 to be be op with what we have now

I’m not ignoring that old weapons are more powerful than new weapons. I’m stating if all new weapons exceeded all old weapons, we’d have a very different game and power creep would be much faster.

If you think there’s a sensible way for every new weapon to be at or above the power level of most old weapons, lay it out. Explain how that kind of game makes sense, especially from the viewpoint of a newbie who has none of the escalating weapons nor the resources to buy them routinely for the first several months.

And what’s the point of making weapons that similar to old ones and weaker?

A newbie who doesn’t have the old weapon can get a moderately useful substitute. Later, they’ll get a chance to get the improved version. Modes with color restrictions can let you use the new thing where the old thing didn’t work. Future weapon upgrades can make a bad thing better. It technically raises the value of the more powerful thing. There are a lot of good reasons to have slightly worse versions of great things laying around.

I feel like you have a vision of the game you’ve decided “makes sense” and you’re closed to the notion that any other implementation could be right. I don’t see a lot of supporting facts in your posts, just “you’re wrong, this is right”. It’s not really a discussion if you don’t lay out supporting facts. It’s just you claiming you’re right with no substance.

This is how I console myself every time David Schwimmer and Neil deGrasse Tyson come up in conversation.

Fair.

* A lot of good game design reasons.

No I said that it doesn’t make sense. I thought you quite smart that you can figure out what’s the meaning of it.
Noobs? What do they have to do with this discussion? They can craft most old weapons from soulforge apart from paid content (we ignoring the glory days) and only few still around from that time.
True at the end of the day this is just a little mobile game

I play about 50 PVP matches per day, and I would say 5 each day are Skeleton Key defence teams (10%).

It’s better in some situations, worse in others, which actually makes it quite balanced. A boost factor of 1:1 would have made almost every other weapon redundant.

1 Like

Better in a few, worse in most would be a better sentence

I couldn’t agree more with you here. I migrated to GoW from a game that did exactly what you just described on a weekly basis. Every week a newer, more powerful team came out that addicts like myself just had to buy. Every time saying “okay this is the last time I do this”. Only to do it all over again the following week. I’m embarrassed to admit how much I spent on that game weekly. I give major props to the developers of GoW for keeping this game as balanced as they do!

1 Like

Every WEEK?! That sounds incredibly stressful!

I migrated to Gems of War from Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes a couple months ago. Gems of War (and their dev team) is paradise in comparison.

2 Likes

It really was. This game has been a breath of fresh air for sure.

1 Like