Nerf Ubastet - he is overpowered

I’ve played card games that did that. The power levels eventually got out of control and there was constant encouragement to just buy new cards. Fits this game, but not something I want to see.

I’m so sick of the constant calls to nerf troops it is rediculous. You nerf a perfectly great troop into oblivion. Kraken nerfed to worthlessness, bone Dragon nerfed to worthlessness, Kerberos nerfed to worthlessness and the list goes on and on. People lose a few matches oh no the game is broken let’s destroy these troops so another meta can take its place to be nerfed. This is a game if you won every match it would get really really boring fast.

1 Like

Nobody expects to win every match, yes it would get boring fast.
But fighting the same team over and over again ad nauseum gets just as boring just as fast.
Kraken is still quite useful and it’s refreshing to come across a Kerberos team, oh hurray someone who actually changes their defense team!
Blame it on the players not the troops.
This thread has run it’s course too, boring.

1 Like

I do win nearly every match. Right now it just happens to be Uba-Uba-Uba-Uba-Uba-Uba… I’ve never seen a meta so completely overtaken by a single build as it is right now.

5 Likes

It is getting really really boring fast :laughing:
The whole point i wanted to raise with all the cats on the loose!

With the way PvP is set up you will never not see the same team over and over again. Until they implement some way to randomize what team you face that a player has built. With everyone only having one defense slot nothing will ever change it will always be one meta or another.

1 Like

Changing the meta is one thing, having a team that can kill two troops in two turns then win in 2-3 more shouldn’t be a thing. A strong team at the top is one thing, but having a killer combo this strong is ridiculous.

3 Likes

The best way to handle that seems to be having a rotation. New cards come in on a schedule, old cards rotate out on a schedule. That way the game’s designers always have a relatively small space in which to design, and if they accidentally break something in a way that can’t be fixed, it is temporary.

Those kinds of games tend to work with a larger deck than 4 cards, though. I’m not sure what the right “size” for a “season” of GoW troops would be.

I’d love it if the game could make a check when generating opponents- if you’ve fought any troop or weapon more than 3 times in the past 15 matches, and your next match would have that troop, it is rerolled automatically. That’d generate a rolling blacklist that never exceeds 20 troops, and would reward players with more unique defenses by having their defenses selected more often.

Edit: created a new topic, as this has little to do with Ubastet himself.

But when the don’t even TRY to make them scale in the ballpark with other troops of the same rarity. Don’t want equal but more options and variety in play.

1 Like

The problem is there are only 2 consistent winners in the upper-tier meta, and some people like facing 4x Fire Bomb or Drake rider 8 times in a row.

That´s 70% of my PvP right now. And I have only 9.6k Team score myself (middle and right with Ubastet).

1 Like

I would not agree. When compared to Wulfgarok and Scorpius, the two most similar mythics for their instant-kill effects, Ubastet blows them both out of the water, then drop kicks them back into the water, then smashes two thermonuclear warheads together to boil the water and irradiate them both. Yet Scorpius costs 6 more mana to cast and can only be cast once, and Wulfgarok costs the same.

Even leaving out the auto-kill, Ubastet is also the greatest damage dealer in the entire game. Unbuffed, he does more damage even without the auto-kill than Ketras the Bull does in total, who also does damage boosted by skills. Ketras deals 79 total damage without damage, and without buffs, if he targets an opponent with optimal splash conditions. Ubastet under the same conditions assuming an average atk of 20 across the board can do 98 damage.

Some other notable raw damage dealers include: Infernus, who can get 88 total damage IF it targets only the middle targets for optimal spread by pure luck, Pharos-Ra who can deal between 9 and 109 damage, depending on generated souls, reaching max damage on his THIRD cast, Jotnar, who gets an unboosted 68 damage, if you have 4 barriers AND 4 giants. and Worldbreaker who can do 56 damage if there are four targets to hit.

Far and away, Ubastet is the biggest damage dealer in the game AND most effective double-killer in the game, yet has a criminally low 22 mana cost to cast.

11 Likes

I don’t think pvp will ever stray away from the majority of players using the meta teams on defense unless some sort of pvp revamp took place.

I disagree. It’s possible to set up some sort of Rock/Paper/Scissors meta. For example, have Skull Teams that beat out High Single Target teams, and HST teams that beat out AOE teams, and AOE teams beat out Skull Teams. (Or whatever). As one type gets more powerful, its counter will begin to increase in popularity to counter that, and so on.

Granted, having different offense and defense teams makes it more complicated, but it’s still something that could be done. But right now, Uba/Infernus does everything: It generates tons of mana through explosions, it bypasses Submerge, it burns through barriers, it does obscene amounts of damage that can’t be neutralized through stats removal… it has nothing but strengths with no weaknesses.

GOW should’ve nerfed Ubastet before making him available in soulforge last week. Nerf him already! He’s so stupid powerful in PVP that it’s almost a joke! He makes Infernus look like Grandma Tiddles!

1 Like

Would not agree. The 50% just buys about one turn faster. Infernus’s (or Divinia’s, or Mountain Crusher’s, or Gorgotha’s Fizzbang’s, or etc.) first explosion often provides more mana than Ishbaala provides, and do so repeatedly throughout the match.

Ishbaala does a great job of improving average rate of winning, which is what allows people to grind with it through the ranks.

Ubastet’s damage multiplier is way too large. At my level of play, Uba does ~180 damage per cast (35-ish average attack for each team, 20-ish base damage, x2 targets) plus more if he gets a free kill. Even Infernus, who already does top damage among damage dealing troops, who does ~140 damage (35-ish damage plus 2x half that, x2 targets) only if both targets get both splash damage.

For comparison, Arachnaean Weaver does 35 true damage x2, which is comparable to Infernus. Suna does 22 x2 on first cast, but gains 16x2 damage per cast, so equals Infernus’s total damage after about three casts.

Now, I do agree with what you said about the Mana Drain teams. Adding the new mana drain prevention traits was a great solution. I think Uba a damage reduction (e.g. only counts his own teams’ troops, not both teams’ troops), but also have been pushing for other alternative like buffing Submerge or buffing Stealthy so that they can avoid this AOE damage that Infernus and Uba put out. Creating answers helped before, it can help again.

Edit to add: Uba’s third trait doesn’t actual affect the outcome. That’s a mistake somewhere. That trait should be awesome for him, like Ketras’s third trait is.

2 Likes

His, “buff rakshas every turn” trait also increases his potential as the battle goes. He could have been a decent “Raksha Leader” and all, but his raw power allows players to simply ignore this aspect.

1 Like

Which is why I restrict using him to my all Raksha team, where he belongs. :rofl:

2 Likes

Change the boost form all ally and enemy to all ally and enemy Raksha. That would probably solve a lot.

4 Likes

It would be a start.

Getting rid of the ‘weakest troop’ targeting mechanic would also work. Think about if Wulfgarok targeted the weakest troop we would see more beast teams with him of defence, as it is more foolproof for the AI.