[NEED MORE INFO] iOS 14.5.1 Hang/Crash Stealing Victories

Platform, device version and operating system:
iOS 14.5.1, iPhone XR

Gems of War version 5.5.0r27446

Screenshot or image:

None (on mobile)

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:

When I have just won a match, on sometimes the game stops working–it hangs, allowing no input from me. It shows the spinning waiting icon, and I cannot do anything but use the OS controls to switch out of the app or quit the app. Once, I set the phone aside to see what would happen, and after a minute the app crashed.

In either case, when I relaunch Gems of War, the game is recorded as a defeat, rather than a victory. I assume that’s because the code hung up before the victory was reported to the server. This cost me my last delve today, for example, when this happened on my second match.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?

It started happening with 5.5. It happens maybe 1 out of 20 matches.

consistent issue? Does it only happen after doing a particular game mode?_

I have not noticed a consistent pattern regarding game modes or teams or anything. Maybe more often on delves and world events, but it might be that I feel the pain of those more.

Steps to make it happen again

None that I have found–it just happens every so often as I play. It’s very frustrating because GOW has been very stable and reliable for me for the 1 1/2 years I have been playing every day, until this update.

1 Like

Two things you can try:

1. Restart your device(s). Seriously. I don’t know why, but GoW seems much more susceptible to bitrot than most (all?) other apps I use, and periodic restarting clears up a surprising number of issues.

2. When the spinning orb has been on-screen for 10-15 seconds, switch airplane mode on, then off again after a few seconds. This will trigger a “no internet connection” error, but after you reconnect the battle should finish normally.

1 Like

Are there any commonalities between the crashes? Game mode, play timem team loadout? As much information regarding the circumstances of any crashing will help us greatly.

My sister told me to say thanks, that helped her… The game crashes for her mostly when doing delves, if I understood correctly.

1 Like

I’ve been doing this for ages. It’s more than a bit gratifying to hear that it works for other people too.

1 Like

She was more than a little skeptic at first, but I’m glad she tried, I’ve seen the frustration in her face too many times, whel losing delves…

1 Like

Same with my sister, she plays with iphone 11, region Europe (Finland)

Information regarding game modes or teams would help best.

It has happened four times today in Illithia delves for the weekly Faction Assault. It has cost me 3 sigils so far.
I haven’t seen the problem much at all since May, and now that I think about it, it was when I was delving Illithia before. So I think there maybe something wrong with the Illithia delve code.
My teams have changed quite a bit, in fact, have used 4 different teams so far today, so I don’t think it’s the team. I have not used any Illithia troops yet today. Shabbana, Thrall, Ironhawk, TPK are some of the troops I have been using today, and have had the game crash.
Current iOS is 14.7.1. Game is 5.6.1r28764. Sill on iPhone XR.

Same. All teams, all modes. Happened in arena, Pvp, explore

This happens to me a lot too. It’s always at the end of a battle, and not always delves for me. I’ve lost PvP matches, Event matches, adventure board matches, and Gnome vault matches. The worst was the time it happened on a Guild War match. The only commonality that I’ve noticed is it onl seems to happen after a win. Never after a loss.

Is this the sort of Info you want? Sat at the scroll of death for about 2 minutes and then crashed. In invasion. Could I pretty please have a sigil back?

It is unlikely you will hear from support before the end of the invasion event, so getting your sigil back probably won’t happen. But you can try to avoid this situation in the future using the trick I quoted.

1 Like