[Need more info] Frozen troop makes 4 skull match and gets an extra turn

Platform, device version and operating system:
PC/Steam
Screenshot or image:

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
As shown on screenshot troop Uvhash-Ka was frozen made a 4 skull gem match and got an extra turn which he should have.

Do you happen to have full video of this incident? What was the full enemy team (in what mode)? What Class is your Hero running?

Scattered reports like these keep popping up every so often, but upon closer analysis every case always boils down to (a) a legitimate match made on the board that was initially missed when it happened, or (b) couldn’t trigger another example of it to even examine. In a way, it’s become GoW’s version of a “bigfoot sighting” (or UFO sighting) – lots of claims, but lacking in actual proof.

For example, was this part of a Gem cascade (combo)? If so, they could match any non-Frozen color (in this case, every color except Blue and Green … like Purple) and still receive the Extra Turn.

Hello :slight_smile:

Please provide recorded video footage of this issue in order for the development team to look into this scenario further.

Please also provide your Invite Code

1 Like

A video???
I’m not in the habit to record my games (don’t even know how to do that) and second is the screenshot not clear enough? It shows the troop frozen and after making a 4 skull match it got an extra turn which should, according to the rules, be not possible.
Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but it is what it is … :man_shrugging:
And since I’m one of the “old” guys in the game my invite code is the same as my game name.

This isn’t a scattered report it is a rather clear one or aren’t the icicles in the screenshot not visible for you?
Second I didn’t miss anything because I’m not playing this game on x4 speed (gives me a headache) also I’ve seen it happen several times now and always it was Uvhash-Ka that was frozen made a 4 skull match and got an extra turn.
And should you wonder in which part of the game this happened it was in this weeks world event “Through Fire and Flame”

The reason the others ask for a video is so that we can see everything else that’s happening along with the match you report.

All you’ve given us is a screenshot and a report for which we effectively have to trust you and take your word for it. That isn’t to say that you’re fabricating something here, but it is very possible that you simply missed something else that happened as part of that turn that legitimately created an extra turn for the opponent.

With that frozen Uvhash-Ka in the lead position? On a single move, you could create a billion four-matches of skulls and blue and green as gems cascade from match to match and that shouldn’t create an extra turn, but if as part of those cascades even once there’s a four-match of a different color that’s sufficient to create the extra turn. And with the state of the board you provide, it’s very plausible that there was a 4+ match of purple gems while things were bouncing around, given the quantity of purple on your screenshot combined with the storm.

6 Likes

Are you new to the forums? Anyway, across months and years we have seen multiple reports alleging an Extra Turn being granted (or denied) incorrectly. Other people have made this claim before but either we could clearly and conclusively debunk it, or they didn’t have enough evidence for us to draw a conclusion either way. That is what I meant when I said “scattered reports” – by everyone collectively.

That’s unfortunate, but not exactly unexpected. Because unless your platform has a built-in video capture ability, trying to configure one yourself can be … complicated…

Nintendo Switch, for example, has a dedicated capture button on the controller: tap it to snap an instant screenshot, or hold it (for about 1/2 second) to retroactively capture 30 seconds of video. Other consoles (Sony and Microsoft) have similar functions built-in, but this is not the standard for PC or mobile.

But assuming you can get it configured, there are fundamentally two methods to actually capture that video you need to know about:

• “forward” capture: This is where you start recording first, then play the game, then stop recording when you’re done. The catch is that you have to manually engage the recording to be able to record anything, and (especially where troubleshooting is involved) it’s not guaranteed that what you want to record will actually happen while you’re trying to record it. So unless you’re a livestreamer or otherwise routinely recording your videos, it’s a chunk of extra work with (usually) zero payoff whatsoever.

• “backward” or “retroactive” capture: Here, the system is always automatically recording your gameplay (up to a certain buffer length) so whenever you press the Capture button, all it needs to do is export that buffer to a video file and you got it. This has the major advantage that you can play as normal until something happens, then immediately hit the Capture button to snag the footage after the fact.

Yes, we can see Uvash-Ka being Cursed and Frozen but, as I mentioned before, there could be an other explanation going on here we need to check for. For example, I notice a Dark Storm active since 2 turns ago (aka. your previous turn) and a conspicuous amount of Purple Gems on the board by now. If Uvash-Ka matched 4 Skulls and then 4 Purple Gems dropped in to create another match of 4 Gems, that would grant an Extra Turn on Purple (which is not Frozen) which actually is within the normal rules regarding Extra Turns.

I also notice Rath-Amon on your team – did you recently cast him? Maybe followed by Wand of Stars and it exploded all the Umbral Stars (thus refilling the Wand and half of Rath-Amon) ? I could easily see one of these failing to match you an Extra Turn, therefore giving the cpu the first opportunity at whatever dropped in next.

Or did Uvash-Ka maybe recently cast, exploding half the board (which could easily generate ~8 Mana) and resulting in too many downstream matches to keep track of?

Also, what Class were you running again? I’m trying to figure out where that Darkstorm came from – “Chaos Storm” class talent maybe? (“Storm” talent tree, e.g. Archmagus, Dervish, Elementalist, etc) I don’t assume it’s related, but neither am I assuming it’s non-important. When you don’t know what specifically you’re looking for, everything is a potential lead … which means everything.

When a moderator asks for your Invite Code, this is actually a standard question so they have the ability to identify your account when reviewing the server logs for clues.

Thank you. I haven’t made it far enough into this week’s event (yet) to find Uvash-Ka myself, but I can guarantee you that if I spot anything I consider unusual, I do have the ability to record it on video (and can share it for verification/analysis).

You’d be surprised what you can miss when you’re not actively looking for it… for example, there are plenty of times where I make an action on my turn then the cpu suddenly gets an Extra Turn from matching 4-5 Gems, not as a result of what I matched but simply because I didn’t notice that the match was available during my previous turn! Usually because I was laser-focused on matching a specific color to charge up a certain spell or two.

Also, so you know, there actually have been rare (truly rare) cases where something only happened at certain game speeds (and not others), but I have no reason to suspect that as a possibility here.

Ultimately, if it really does occur as often and as easily as you claim then certainly we should be able to observe it just as easily on our own game?

And if you can’t record video footage then we do understand, but the next-best thing you can do is take a “slideshow” of as many screenshots as possible – for example:

• Screenshot the cpu player highlighting the move they’re making
  • Screenshot what the board looks like after the move is made and the immediate results have settled onto the board
  • If this causes a chain reaction (cascade or combo) then take more screenshots as each match occurs, until the board finally resolves and the game either passes the turn to you or gives the cpu an Extra Turn.
3 Likes

Well, with the new week I guess this incident (related to last week’s World Event) is mooted, and joins the pile of “bigfoot sightings” that don’t have enough proof to properly investigate…

As for me, I actually did progress far enough in the event to encounter an Uhvash-Ka team, multiple times, but I was unable to contribute any investigations beyond that (lacking a good way to Freeze the enemy team). I did observe the cpu team was randomly generated with Tempurath eligible to appear on the team, but if Hourglass Gems were involved in this incident I assume you’d have spotted that right away, and never even filed this report. (Of course, that is just an inference based on the screenshot showing 2 empty slots on the enemy team)

Anyway, for proof that this is a recurring myth, here are some of the previous reports:

July 2024
April 2023
March 2023

Note this incident included actual video footage, and was allegedly fixed in the next game update:

If your latest incident really is as repeatable as you implied, it should be a simple matter to purposely set up the board for the opponent to make the match, and take (at least) multiple screenshots while they make their turn to illustrate exactly what happened.

1 Like

@Stratelier : You asked above where the purple storm came from. If I had to speculate, the first thing that would come to mind is from the Valraven’s 2nd trait which summons a Darkstorm when an allied unit dies.