Milk, Bones, & Muscles - A Sincere Letter to the Devs

A look into the past would reveal that most grace and kindness ran out because, as you put, it became obvious the cow was being milked while not being cared for.

It came to a point where the decisions made can’t be even defended in my opinon. The second campaign is ending, personally I didn’t took part on it just to see how things would progress. I’m missing the Book of Deeds from the free track and HONESTLY I’m not much worse than any other player that have these books.

An entire update about increasing the level cap of kingdom’s upgrades and nearly three months later people can’t do any relevant progress…

Meanwhile all the other things players asked, begged and argued as being important to the vast majority of us were simply disregarded.

I know a guy who would like to take a look at this cow:

3 Likes

I just want to put up a small comment about this part: Time Zones exist. And not everyone has same work/free hours. Not everyone is able to join or watch streams, and therefore can’t engage with them.
Which is why having such stuff on the forum is easier for all to engage with.

I do agree though that there are some people who are a bit too… aggressive or toxic in their feedback (complaints). A bit of respect & dignity goes a long way.

5 Likes

Apparently ‘Month on Month’ gross income up over 34.2% September 2020 over September 2019. There’s the effect of the pass system. That’s on top of near €4 million gross income last year.

:cow::cow: :steam_locomotive: :dollar:

I’m outta milk!

3 Likes

@dank-o our stream is partnered, so people can also watch after the fact if they want too. I know it’s not the same and I apologise, but I hope it tides some people over.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback on the subject @Saltypatra. However there is one thing that bothers me and is continuously brought up but always walked around and the vast majority of players agree it is long over due but the developers seem to not see it as a priority.

This is the ‘milk’ that the op is talking about. That is troop balancing it has been far far too long. There are so many troops that have so much potential but we just keep getting more and more troops while some of our old favorites are just not as strong or useful as they once we’re.

I guess I just don’t understand why it isn’t a priority. Things like this go a long way with the player base and promote a healthy community.

Just my two cents.

4 Likes

Very much appreciate the response on this, even if it’s not what I wanted to hear.

I do understand - as much as I can without being in your shoes - why you wouldn’t want to communicate with the community as in the past. This is definitely not a one-way street and there are, I believe, errors on both sides. I can’t imagine getting death threats over a Match 3, but I can imagine that would steer me away from wanting to respond more personally to posts.

I do hope that there can be some sort of middle ground. Streams are much, much more difficult to go through than forums for news, even if streams are available afterwards. Forums are made for this type of discussion; streams or VODs are hours of content mixed all together. I truly understand that streams are by far an easier platform to be more personal on, and I don’t think that can or should change.

I do, however, think that interaction on the forums could be done in a slightly different way that would be majorly beneficial to the community. I believe it is possible to have a little more interaction and personality here, and a little can go a long way. The toxicity of these forums is absolutely not okay, and mutes/bans would be helpful for weeding out those who can’t refrain from personal attacks and threats.

The fact that you and I can’t have a discussion about crucial game directions such as what many players feel is the “recent” shift in focus from content and gameplay to almost entirely monetization is upsetting; you did not make mention of this anywhere in your response. Again, I don’t blame you, and I understand this sort of interaction is your policy at the moment. I really hope that there can be steps taken to have that change, though. You are, after all, in charge of communications here, and solid and constructive communication can’t happen without, well… communication, no?

I want to emphasize once again that I am not trying to jab you or blame you or your team. I very well might do the same thing were I in your position. As a member of this community, though, I see how this communication style is hurting the community, adding on to the negativity and hostility, and causing players to leave. This is my favorite mobile game, and I’ve been here for years. I want only the best for GoW, you as the devs, and for the community.

I don’t think this communication style is what’s best for anyone, and I would love to have a discussion about how to improve the communication and toxicity.

This, for example, is at very least a lovely conversation-starter by @AMT!

9 Likes

In Kelly’s Heroes, the General asks “what is the point of having a Communications Officer if he can’t communicate”. Seriously.

I’ve read many forum posts. I’ve even read global chat on occasion. I have to, if I want to recruit new Raiders to my guild. I no longer do.

They don't re-balance troops because they don't have to.

They don't fix Doom Blade and Doom Club because they don't have to.

They don't communicate because they don't have to.

Many times I have read “I stick around for my friends and my Guild”. I’ve said the same myself. No longer. My guild will survive without me, or it won’t. I have one last GW, and then I’m done. Thanks.

Break the co-dependency. Pound Sign Quit 2021.

14 Likes

@Saltypatra

I wish to give you and fellow members my contribution as a newcomer to GoW.

When a couple a week ago I was looking for a new game in Steam, I was at first concerned by the amount of negative comments users left there, yet the overall figure was quite positive.
I decided to give it a try and make an opinion by myself…

The gameplay was exactly what I was looking for, Match3 and Strategy games being my favorite genre, yet the stonewall I had to climb to be able to learn and understand the overwhelming GoW content & mechanisms and finally progress in game was/is possible only because of help I got/get from this community.

I’m playing for ten days now and so far I’ve spent 12$ in game content not because I needed to, but because I liked what I saw, the “Bones & muscles” the OP’s metaphor he talked about and I will probably keep giving some money here and there as long as I feel being happy with those “Bones & muscles” .

Yet I should say that honestly what really matter the most to me now is the very friendly and helping community.
If you let this community die or simple starve or growing sour, the older gamers leaving, the forum becoming an hive of crazy hornets, etc.
Then you will never be able to retain the new players you will eventually attract.
… and the cow will die (metaphorically of course) :wink:

TLDR: Take care of this community cause they take care of new players !

Best regards
PS beg your pardon for my English language shortcomings

15 Likes

Spot on mate! One of the best posts we have had in 2020.

5 Likes

I’ve seen this point about threats and safety a few times now
At this point I’m curious, we’re there any actual legit local threats that actually were a cause for concern? Or is just a bunch of nerds from oceans away talking shit, like they do with every online person
I would think if it were legit, it could be handled by law enforcement, and would get solved.
And if it is the latter, it’s time to stop using negativity as an excuse for things. Not saying it’s right, but it’s a fact of life in our current era, and like I tell all the people who constantly report people, have the emotional stability to ignore or block them. How we receive stimuli ourselves is almost as much a problem as those who transmit it.

Oddly enough. Most keyboard warriors don’t use a postcard with their home address when making death threats. And since IP addresses are pretty easy to hide these days. I feel like expecting the victim to know the seriousness of a threat is pretty ludicrous. Criticize the game as much as you want. But until you get death threats yourself… perhaps don’t advise other strangers the appropriate response for them.

Is it safe for me to be negative against “victim blaming in this case”? Or should I try to make a more positive approach for those who try to alienate me due to my negative thoughts when I see bull shit like this? (Rhetorical questions of course.)

5 Likes

To your point about hiding IP addresses, wouldn’t that go both ways? As in wouldn’t u feel secure they can’t find u just as u can’t find them?
Maybe it’s just me, but I feel no anxiety over anything online.
As to your second point. If we all had the ability to ignore negativity that has no bearing on our actual lives, whether getting upset over an online comment or our favorite team losing, we could all focus on being positive.
You say it’s telling people how to feel. I look at it as adding perspective, so people can maybe step back, rethink things, and live a more mentally and emotionally stable life by their own choice.
I’m not one focus on these forums, it’s just a once a day morning newspaper Lol, so I’m finished with posting about this.
It was just a curiosity of what actually happened, since it’s now been brought up multiple times.

1 Like

Thing is, not everyone like to say"'it’s raining" when other people are spitting on them…

Many people have different sensibility - some can take more, than others, but everyone has it’s limits.

Each member of this forum has an option to “mute” any other forum user → temporarily or permamently (very usefull option, used it recently on 2 accounts). You wont receive any message from them, all their posts will become invisible for you, etc.
Now, community managers have this unconfortable situation, where they simply can’t perma-mute/ignore someone who’s being rude each time they adress them. Even if someone is rude now/today, they might report a bug in future or have a problem that will need DEV attention.

Life isn’t that easy…

2 Likes

Cooperate addresses? A company usually makes their address public knowledge. I don’t feel like you know how crime works…

Regarding abuse on the forums, I’ll just toss this idea into the void and see what others think. Tagging @Saltypatra who is likely tagged way too much, but giving an idea on how to protect everyone:

Our forum accounts should be linked to our in game account. Anyone who is abusive in forums not only gets banned in the forum, but also in game. Yes alts exist so this isn’t 100%, but as the saying going, don’t like perfection be the enemy of good enough.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s as simple as ignoring death threats, but there are certainly ways to go about community interaction which do not result in halting all non-necessary communication. I think it’s unfair for us to assume we know exactly the situation the devs are in, but I do think it’s fair to invite them into a conversation about how to help better the community and the game itself, taking points from both sides.

7 Likes

if it’s possible, please advertise this game on social media once you fix the issue you have with your communication and official forum. make it a more welcoming place for new players.

100% on this too

2 Likes

The OP is written as if you think the excessive milking is an unintentional error in judgement or a mistake of some kind, rather than being strategic. To continue your metaphor, what do you think a farmer does once they’ve decided they no longer want to be in the milk business long term?

4 Likes

A delicate question is; How many of the weaker decisions have had a strategic purpose for the team?

1 Like

The are set on not caring anymore, because there is still a community of passionate players who keep trying to help other fellow players too. @Tacet still does his videos, just to mention one of the old vanguard.

Salty does her stream, but as passionate and she can be she is still paid to do that. And her stance for minimal communication is again what she is required to do and nothing else. Can I blame her for that? Not at all.

The game direction is set on path that they can’t even fabricate excuses for what they are doing, so the silence is the best they can do and they will still find people who will crusade for their “cause”.

8 Likes