Mercy Warps The Whole Game

Mercy starts off full, her main job is to fill Maw or whatever as soon as she gets a good yellow-purple multi-match. After that she can fill Infernal King now and again, or straight-up loop with Infernus. But it’s the quick start that really counts.

The funny thing is that the only thing better than seeing her on your team is seeing her on the AI’s! If the devs ever want to gain acceptance for nerfing Mercy, all they need to do is improve her AI script!

I use Mercy when my team doesn’t need yellow or purple. I have found no more solid guarantee that those two colors will NEVER intermingle than building a Mercy team.

If I kept statistics for Mercy casts, I think I’d find:

• 66% of the time, Mercy’s ability makes 0 matches but sets the opponent up for gathering 50 mana off 6 free turns.
  • 33% of the time, Mercy’s ability makes a single 3-match then sets the opponent up for gathering 50 mana off 6 free turns.
  • 1% of the time, Mercy makes 2 4 matches for me. Then I have 1 legal move that sets the opponent up for gathering 50 mana off 6 free turns.

Well spirit fox is there cause of mercy, everyone got a weakness and i think mercy is fine like she is, now if you use the wrong tool this is another story

Mercy is a converter, not a spawner. She should never misfire and give a good board to the enemy, unless you’re doing something very daft.

If I had to make up some statistics I’d say:

• about 1/3 battles I cast her straight away to get a 4-5 yellow match
  • about 1/3 battles I cast her after a few turns once the board suits
  • about 1/3 battles the board doesn’t suit her for a while and I may only cast her later, or maybe for the cleanse

When she casts, that’s 10+ yellow mana (easily 12 with a banner) that fills Hellcat or Infernus or almost fills Gorgotha or Ishbaala, and we’re off for a win.

2 Likes

I’m not entirely sure everyone is reading everything, seeing as there are a lot of complaints about my desire to nerf Mercy and not too much talk about the solution I actually proposed.

2 Likes

Please I would love an empowered purple converter, getting troops like Dragon soul a first turn cast would be awesome… I would also like an effective counter… you know to kill tds when I see him.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I havn’t used her in ages, and at no point feel like it slows me down in any way.
As a matter of fact because i was tired of only 1/3 of my starting boards allowing for an immediate secure Mercy cast i have gone back to Alchemist in most teams were i need yellow transform(and probably would use the Diviner in the others if i had her).
He fills in one red match most of the time and is so much more versatile being a universal transformer, not just having more windows to cast but generally generating more yellow mana because of the choices.

2 Likes

Im affraid this will only be good for AI cause when i use him he can’t even match 3 skulls together

1 Like

I would probably interpret those complaints as they don’t see a problem with mercy and therefore no solution is necessary. At least that’s how I’m interpreting them.

1 Like

I often use both! or Mercy and Diviner…

1 Like

I kind of agree with the sentiment that Mercy and her existence drives many things in the game, but thats about it.

Right now, yellow is in a place of “balanced imbalance” as being one of the most “volatile” colors in the game. Tons of converters that use yellow, tons of things that make yellow specifically go away. This is slowly being eroded - brown was one of the worst converting colors, and now both of the new universal color converts so far use brown, but it can’t be looped with just converters either. So maybe we are headed in that direction where there are converter loops for every color and by then there will be room for are empowered converters, however…

Keep in mind that everything added after Mercy was colored by mercy, and adding a Mercy-like and a Fox-like is bound to create a new, super obnoxious meta that will be even harder to shake. Mercy sort of dropped off with all the power creep, even if the does a totally unique thing that gives you a “free win” like 20% of the time. If we had one for every color, I have a feeling they really would be “too good not to use” especially since they’d probably have an even higher magnitude secondary effect than cleanse all and life gain, including damaging effects. Imagine having two empowered converters that could feed each other and a team. How do you stop both of them from getting a foothold consistently?

My top 10

My “most used” troop is still Mercy despite rarely using her nowadays because of the thousand and thousands of battles I played with her when she was basically the best fast start option by far, and also was (actually kind of still is) the best counter to an enemy Mercy, which was really dominant for a long time. Going into the Unity port, she had probably about 4000+ battles out of the 10,000 or so battles I had on the account. Compared to this, my kraken had in the double digits before Unity went live and accrued over 4000 uses (2000 battles with 2) during the period I could “tentacle bomb” entire teams to death. Valk is from pre-unity, mostly with Mercy, Ragnagord after unity port. Infernus obviously after, since he came right after the port. Krystenax mostly half and half. And if you are wondering why Carnex, Bombot and Rowanne are on there, that and a Mechanist with prismatic orb comprised my fastest possible PvP team for a while until skill bonuses pushed too many setups out of 2-3 shot range and defense teams got too “fast” for me to take them out before they could retaliate.

As it stands now, I mostly trend toward directionless spell spam because it is faster and still safe enough to win (hence, Infernus and Ragnagord seeing an upward trend). At my current rate of play with the teams I normally use, Mercy will be usurped from her spot in a few months.

Plus, as others have pointed out, Mercy was rarely seen on defense recently until until Ishbaala rolled out. If there is anything to blame for a Mercy resurgence, it is Ishbaala and Diviner. Aside from this, she also isn’t even in my consistently fastest setups.

tl;dr: Mercy is good and unique, but adding mercy-likes for other colors will probably have more than a few unforseen consequences. As it stands now she is not on even generally used in most my consistently fastest setups (except with the completely new synergy of “fast divines”, which was a bad idea in an of itself, which has potential to overtake my current fastest setups when facing not-fox teams and is by far my fastest and safest setup on my alt account at this point because opening with an exploder is risky with low stats). Other supports and other things that use her color combo or fit one or more of her roles are perfectly viable (but some aren’t, but that can be said about most troops that are meta-viable in any way). 9 months to a year ago, I would have considered her completely dominant for her each of the roles she fills, but not now.

tl;tldr: We finally got the a point where she isn’t completely dominant or even really seen outside of fast divines or the two people using a maw setup, so it would be a bad idea to open that can of worms again.

8 Likes

I never really got the sentiment of Mercy being too strong in the first place, great sure but not more.
She literally only saves you one turn for the first cast compared to a firelinked(Gobrocket) Alchemist, and that is only in about 1/3 of games probably even less.
In all other games Alchemist is at least just as fast or even faster than Mercy(if yellow and purple don’t allign by turn 2) on the first cast and significantly faster on all casts after the first one due to his lower mana cost.

I have never felt like she dominated the game nor did i feel forced using her.
On defense she is quite easy to counter most of the time just by playing the board right, without needing a certain troop for that, so i don’t really get where there is supposed to be a problem here.

2 Likes

Are you the computer?

Mercy is not as good at filling troops as she used to be. Now that 4-match cannot surge.

Just one moment…

She’s beautiful.

Thanks for your suggestions on Mercy.

1 Like

@Cyrup @Fuligin Who is Brigitt? I just checked Taran’s World for spoilers, and I didn’t see an upcoming troop with a name that looked remotely close to that.

This is Brigitte:

2 Likes

I did wonder. I also considered Brigette from Pokemon tcg - a card that was middling when released, but is now broken and mega-popular.

Not sure what either of them have to do with these threads.

Well, Mercy is also the name of an Overwatch character; I’m assuming it was a joke?

5 Likes

Yes, it was.

1 Like