Lycanthropy, the why and the moving forward

Yes stuff is broken (by community standards, and hopefully developmental standards), Yes the developers tried to make the game better by finally adding in some new game mechanics, and is it perfect? Well, no. BUT they are trying to actually make the game better.
Do they need hotfixes instead of relying on major updates: yes. Do they have the man power to do that: only they know the answer to that question. CAN they even do hotfixes instead of major updates: depends on how many people they have working for them and many other factors.
Even as “players” we have to see both sides of of a game. Developers/studios are there to make money and on their end that’s what is focused on, but they also don’t want to alienate their player base as to lose them.
I think both sides need to be more open thinking about the other with this whole new Lycanthropy issue.

FYI developers, don’t go around saying issues that give rewards to people (that clearly don’t anymore) are not bugs. That makes players angry and ask themselves, why do I even waste my time playing/buying your game then.

2 Likes

Biggest issue I have with lycanthropy is that it isn’t fun.

They seem to know how to do the power gem thing correctly though, as they did it for Puzzle Quest 3.

• The red one does what is essentially enrage + explode like a doomskull.

• The yellow one destroys the vertical column that it was matched from and gives barrier.

• The green one is basically like faerie fire a random enemy while creating another gem on the board that can be accumulated for multiplied mana.

• The purple one also acts like faerie fire, but it spawns purple gems when matched (which would have been way less annoying than lycanthropy).

• And there is a brick block one that can’t be matched, but double clicking on it creates skulls and doesn’t end the turn.

8 Likes

If it would be just that. Something not being fun can be ignored, like Arena for me, Like it ? play it , don’t like it? don’t play it. Lycanthropy as effect is not my favorite but I can deal with it when comes from a spell. But these annoying gems are everywhere.
They are not simply not fun they do the opposite.

4 Likes

Please devs, remove this lycantrophy everywhere. I can forget about the arena because it is just in the corner, but this lycantrophy gem is so annoying and making me think it’s time to retire on this game because it is not fun for me anymore. Can you put it in the other corner so only the player who enjoys it can play it? @Saltypatra the saltiest girl in town

11 Likes

@Saltypatra

First, it is your job to communicate the vision to us. You don’t make the vision. So nothing but love for you.

But omg this lycanthropy is just a hot mess. It feels like there is some desperate need to keep it. Which, is so weird. It really is. Like someone (not you… you are the communicator) is hanging their self worth on it or something.

I really think it’s a full blown clunker. But! If it actually behaved like normal transforms, meh, I could deal. Or… if the lycanthropy gems were not a thing? Meh, I could sorta deal.

The problem is that GoW is so great as a strategy game. We deal with randomness from boards and keys. But for the most part you can build teams to strategically win. Yay! Until this ish.

When you add this level of randomization to the actual battles? Might as well be playing a mobile slot game instead.

Again… not your fault. But I hope you pass this feedback on.

14 Likes

Earlier in this thread I clarified that Lycanthropy will be brought in line with transform, @Tresk.

1 Like

I think this is the most important part of this statement.
Thank God, lycanthrophy (which also sucks with classic transforming) will just be in the backround after this campaign (which has three Guild Wars with it :sob:), but what will come next?
Please not the next weird RNG Booster…

2 Likes

Agree; remove it . Its egregious to sensible crafted thoughtful play which was once the draw card of this game. I cracked myself laughing, moving forward. What two steps back first. You can keep dressing mutton as lamb , but it remains mutton. What a mutton game. So sad; for it once had the potential to be lamb. Just wolves chasing bad gem deals and other nonsense packages for real money. Not worth a coin in any currency currently.

Even once/if they align the effect to be an actual debuff as per transform, a valuable lesson to be learnt/ignored by the devs ref. upcoming heroic gems (aside from ‘get a more competent/effective QA team/process’) would be: heroic gems should act like gems

This means we should be able to remove them without triggering them, convert them away without triggering them, and consideration should be given to whether/how they should trigger during explosions: as it stands right now, when a Lycan gem appears on the board, it’s just a matter of which player/side gets screwed by it.

Unless the intention was to screw players, surely the playerbase has made their feedback about this quite clear by now?
:blush: :vulcan_salute:

7 Likes

As my experience even the AI is not interested in triggering them, so it mostly happens on explosions, if that would be taken away, hmmm… better!

2 Likes

The bug report for this is now flagged as Investigating. Woohoo!

3 Likes

Why have not Lycanthropy been removed from the game yet? I ask because that is pretty much the question.

1 Like

I have one question to you. What is awesome about Lycanthropy? :slight_smile: (You decided to use the word “awesome”, well done.)

Oh no… I see a padlock coming…

3 Likes

Just look at what it’s doing to you guys. The answer is simple. I’ve said it many times: quit the game. Instead you guys flood the forums with the same garbage day in and day out. You know why this forum exists? It gives people like you a false sense of ‘connecting’ with the developers on a personal level when what it’s really used for is one of those ‘we’re gonna do what we’re gonna do but let’s just give them a place to vent so they’ll actually think we care’. Personally, I couldn’t care less. I’m just here because I like watching people get smacked in the face repeatedly. Seriously, after all these complaints do you really think they’re going to get rid of it? If anything it might actually get worse. They’re not going to do anything about it (and they shouldn’t) until they actually start losing money. Your goal is to get rid of lycanthropy. It’s not going to happen until you give them a real reason to.

Lets try again, Chaplin.

I have one question to you. What is awesome about Lycanthropy?

I saw that, yes. I should have indicated that somehow in my post, sorry. I’ll try to rephrase.

There are things that can be done with lycanthropy that can move it from intolerable to tolerable. And that’s definitely better than nothing for those of us who are, ummm not fans. It’s sad that we are now shooting for tolerable in game play, though.

My main point, however, was that the more randomness you add to the gameplay, the less it becomes about strategy and collecting.

Thank you for continuing to communicate on the issue, I’m sure it’s not fun.

3 Likes

Denthegod is obviously flame baiting. Regardless of whether they’re correct or not.

Also: repeatedly telling people to quit the game is really not that constructive. Belief that a feature is “awesome” because it makes people angry and divisive is also not constructive, nor a good reason to like or claim to like something.

I will publicly say I’ve flagged them for moderation. I don’t mind people knowing that I think this individual needs to be shut up. Deliberately stirring up people over a controversial issue suggests they need to find something better to do anyway. If the devs or anyone else disagrees with my assessment or my handling of it, I honestly don’t mind that either.

And they don’t get to try to toy with me, because I’m muting this thread and leaving it alone.

My thoughts on the topic of lycanthropy are already known and I don’t stand to learn anything useful in the thread anyway.

41 Likes

Is there any hope for either eliminating the random lycanthropy gem drops or greatly reducing it’s drop rate? If not, there at least needs to be a way to remove these gems without triggering them.

I prefer the removal of the random drop, because it doesn’t make sense plot wise. Sure this realm is weird and magical, but randomly getting lycanthropy and turning into a different beast turns this into a eldritch horror world.

1 Like

Fairly certain they will no longer drop after the current campaign. You’ll only see them when a troop spawns them in. 8ish weeks to go :sweat_smile: