Luck Factor... Get rid of it or fix it

Your buddy started the discussion by asking me directly a question.
How insightful you are to express guidance to them. Better to just watch and read what everyone says right?

Are-You-Not-Entertained-Gladiator

1 Like

You keep focusing on just one aspect of at least 3 doomskulls impacts. Yes ‘just’ 4-5 extra mana may not seem much, as does 5 extra damage, but 4-5 extra mana + 5 extra damage + the additional cascade opportunity from the explosion may very well result in deciding the outcome of a battle.
Sure it won’t have decisive impact on each of your battles or even the majority of it, but did we really need an additional random factor to influence our games at the state the game is already in?

1 Like

Update.
Luck factor still seems good in the raids.
But the constant skull storm like drops made me go 0-4.
But hopefully this just cleary demonstrates that doing them right after reset is a horrible choice. 2 nights of back to back shit mechanics against troops that are unforgiving of them.

This week is again a repeat of the “bad” week. In PvP, nearly everything is stacked against you.

I have noticed ridiculous cascades - more than once an enemy Elemaugrim team reduced my attack to zero in a single turn. Using Mercy, I have seen today about a 5% rate of being able to use her spell without losing my turn. This is a far cry from normal. There are countless other examples, but perhaps the most telling is that my underpowered and mostly ignored defense team is winning way more often, which means the same thing is happening to other players.

Go watch that stream with the Doomskulls.

Next week’s going to take a lot of :popcorn:.

My week’s been entirely normal. *shrug*

Bad luck sucks. People are really good at remembering bad luck and forgetting good luck. It’s the same reason my kid will come home cranky and angry because one bad thing happened, blowing away all recollections of everything that went right that day.

My week has been too easy thus far.
It either favors the player too much, or makes it more frustrating than fun.

I don’t consider either one balanced.
I know it’s not easy making a game that’s challenging but fun also.
But perhaps more focus should be spent on finding a better balance to it… Rather than the desire to add distractions that end up making the balance even more out of whack. (like how extra turns are no longer guaranteed either).

See what few people realize is that we are all not playing the same “RNG” at the same time. It’s hard for me to imagine it’s relative to player. Perhaps region? Whatever it is… The reason why @Flint is having a rough week. Has nothing to do with “luck” but most likely because of where he plays. Endure this week… And next week it’ll be better.
For centuries people have debated whether “luck” is real. What I know for certain… Is when it comes to AI and coding… Luck isn’t real. It’s a mathematical formula that decides whether you (the player) get an easy road or fd over.
There’s at least 5-10 bugs in this build currently. But I guess that’s “normal” right? Lol

The term “luck factor” is being used in general to describe the AI changes because that was on a datamined variable that someone pulled from the game files quite awhile ago (perhaps with the initial version of the 3.3 patch).

At this point, I’d be willing to say that “luck factor” isn’t really an appropriate term to use for what people are experiencing. Rather, I’d forward an argument that what everyone is witnessing is more of a dynamic difficulty setting for modes that do not have an adjustable difficulty setting (everything outside of Story mode at this point).

The issue, I believe, is that unlike Story mode where increasing difficulty ratings simply increases the opponent’s stats, under the dynamic difficulty system other gameplay factors are being modified. These include skull drop rates, skyfalling “lucky drops”, and other statistically improbable events occurring with unusual regularity. What really confounds many players, is that I am reasonably sure that not only can the difficulty slider be set before a match begins (by the AI, unknown to the player), it can also change mid-match. Sirrian alluded to something like this in his own clever way on one of the streams with a response to a comment about why the “luck factor” seemed to greatly increase for the AI when there was only one opponent left.

What is really frustrating players is that there is no way of concretely knowing what factors will cause the difficulty slider to dynamically ratchet up unknowingly. At best, players can only anecdotally take stabs at what is causing the increase in artificial difficulty (win rate/streak is too high, advancement far into the prize tiers in an event, and so on).

The only real fair conclusion at this point, is that given a certain level of success in the game (by whatever measurement “success” is measured by in an event), the game will ratchet up an uncontrollable artificial difficulty against the player.

Indeed. I can see why Salty didn’t exactly want to show off King Bloodhammer (and really didn’t want to play the story match with that unit as the opponent after playing the Ozball PvP team; don’t blame her in the slightest for that). It would be reasonably safe to say that the balance on his doomstorm is still being worked on. Nevertheless, when Salty said that the purpose of doomskulls and the new kingdom was to make skull damage relevant again, umm… mission accomplished?

Next week is going to be really, really interesting as I can’t see him not being used in most teams going forward because of his potential. However, he’s an incredibly high risk / high reward unit. As long as the player or opponent has a strong tank to absorb the doomskulls, that risk is mitigated. But without a tank (or after the tank dies), the amount of potential damage that Bloodhammer can bring against the opposing team is going to be insane. On the other hand, if the board spawns badly for the player, the AI can probably just mop up the gazillion doomskulls on the board to mow over the entire player team in the next turn from doomskulls alone. Going to be a fascinating observation to witness, for sure.

1 Like

My predicition for next week

20 new threads about AI cheating

2 Likes

Oh I resisted the urge to show last weeks Raid match where at level 335 I had 4 troops left against Marilith and Zuul’Goth had 20 life left. But since Zuul’Goth insta filled and Barrier. I couldn’t win until 4-6 tries later. Only because a Valraven replaced the Skull F’r that reflects 25% lethal damage as 100% lethal. I don’t know how those that got to level 500 were able to without checking into an insane asylum afterwards.
Worst raids ever

2 Likes

Every raid is the worst raid ever.

4 Likes

Yeah that suck the fact gnome and valraven steal the trait of the troop they replace.

Sometime i see a treasure gnome but he steal the fast trait and only need 1 match to cast and escape. Im glad it didin’t happen yet with pet gnome

I haven’t seen the stream so maybe he changed, but the spoilers say he is a transformer, not a spawner, you can(and should) fire him with 100% chance of 4-match connects and be absolutely risk free aside from maybe a remaining 3 match after you cleared the board of 4s.

Nah last raid was definitely the worst raid ever I lost 2x more battle than any Raid before and the team we had was probably the best so far. But th problem was the Boss barrier and the ridiculous Marilith Bone Naga and Naga Queen…

1 Like

Raids have definitely gotten old. But, the last raid …whoa…
It was drudgery and irritation.

7 Likes

I also didn’t like this RB event because of the AI troops and the Raid Boss with Barrier.
But the troop choice was fine.

Looking for the next events makes me worried about how horrible this Event will become: Zaejin (this one should be okay), Ghulvania, Blackhawk, Pan’s Vale.

Devs didn’t do any tweaks about the scaling difficulty and the battle rewards. It’s maybe time to wake up…

3 Likes

123 matches won in a row… Ended by the AI getting all the breaks. Weird. :laughing::grin::joy::hushed:
(Same team won at least 60 matches today, couldn’t even kill a single troop this time around).

Kinda begs the question… Has posting on the forums ever worked out in the players favor? :thinking: (Dawnbringer being removed from your arena took 8 months…I credit global chat for the fix. :wink:)

All the time, we are constantly reviewing the forums to check out new issues before they come as tickets, and we get a lot of solid feedback on game improvements or potential changes for you guys here.

I think I posted on your other thread where you were concerned about the AI, but yeah, we haven’t changed anything regarding the AI to work against the player. Do you mind if I moved this to feedback/suggestions as it is not a bug report?

If you are experiencing the AI being more difficult in Raids/Invasions, this is due to the difficulty of the Events overall rather than the AI itself in those events. The AI has been in the player’s favour for the last few years, we’ve tweaked it a few times as the game changes to accommodate new changes: The last time being about a 2-3 months back, when we made a small adjustment in the player’s favor.

I didn’t think you had changed anything on purpose. Which is why I put it under a bug report. Since 3.4 was released everything has been cray cray.
“The luck” was very favorable to me all day. A few hours after I posted that I was fortunate. I had “bad luck” again.
The “difficulty” for the raids last week was insane. Truly. At level 350… So I couldn’t imagine it at level 500.
But since you brought it up… I’ll show you. :grin:

Beginning of the match. (Taken from the next match since I wasn’t planning on documenting it prior. Originally there was a bone Naga who took out Mang thanks to lethal being reflected back. )

I’ll let the images do the talking moving forward.

Just now I had a level 180 player ask how to succeed in the pet rescues. I advised him that as he increased in level and troop power that they become much more doable. That these new additions are designed for end gamers. But when an end gamer needs 4-6 sigils to make it past level 350 out of 500 in the raids. What hope can I really offer him? I have all the kingdoms Max leveled, 99% of the troops, and am a seasoned player. Yet, what does all of that matter when the AI is “designed” to win no matter what… Unless it decides to let you win? I might as well play a slot machine at that point.

3 Likes

Ya that boss was BRUTAL!

1 Like