List of Russian translation mistakes

@Salibu I’m not angry at all mistakes. I am appalled at the Abynissia and Dedaemona’s naming fails. Because it is not very nice to call a woman the c word. The translator did it not once but TWICE. And if I did meet them I would explain to them why they were wrong, very thoroughly and without skipping any details.

As to the other mistakes, some of them are funny, some of them are ridiculous, some of them hurt my eyes, some of them are just confusing and impair understanding.

Surely the game wouldn’t suffer it those were fixed?

4 Likes

Salibu, what’s wrong with you? Russians don’t deserve good translate? You are low-minded nazi or what?

Versheenah, good job there! I know Russian lang, and you are right. Terrible mistakes.

3 Likes

I kind of love that your language has a word for this. Just sayin’.

(Also kudos to you for meticulously documenting the gaffes. Hopefully it’ll get the dev attention it deserves. If that were my native language I’d probably give up and go back to English if it’s really that jarring.)

5 Likes

From Russia with love. Great to see such topics, and players that wanna help.

2 Likes

The devs have always been receptive to players pointing out translation mistakes, and do fix them. As for priority issues, it’s mostly likely the fixes will be passed on to the translators to fix up and correct, and would likely take minimal time away from the devs that do the work on design and programming who would be the ones focused on bugs.

TL;DR: Fixing translation errors shouldn’t detract time from fixing bugs, and bringing the errors to the attention of the devs is good to do.

3 Likes

Yes - thank you ALL so much for the feedback!

I apologize if any of the translations are causing offence… this is a tough one for us, since we rely on a translation house to do the bulk of the in-game translation first up (about 100,000 words) - we really just have to trust that they don’t give us offensive names or “Google Translation”. For that reason we use Localize Direct - a large professional reasonably games-savvy translation team used by a number of game studios/publishers. Internally, here at Infinity, we can’t read most of what’s written (unless it’s French or German), and don’t have ANY Russian speakers on staff at all.

We would MUCH PREFER that we used players for ALL of the translations, and we WILL be using Russian players to do all future Russian event/troop translations, much as we use French. Italian, German & Spanish players for our current events. Unfortunately our publishing partner 505 Games, preferred to use Localize Direct for this initial translation… and we will most CERTAINLY be providing them with the feedback in this thread, to both pass on to Localize Direct, and to potentially influence their decision to use Localize Direct in future

Side Note… in fact - in all fairness - our Russian player/translator did warn us he spotted a few irregularities in the current translations, in the limited time he had to look at it, but due to time constraints we were forced to release what we had :frowning:

11 Likes

Well done @Versheenah! I dont speak Russian so the translation doesnt effect me personally but im sure for the players who do speak it it is nice to have a translation to their native language and for said translation to be as accurate as possible. So i thank you for your efforts in makimg a game i love better for many other people!

@Salibu i like you brudda but you are off base here imo. There is nothing wrong with what @Versheenah is trying to do

3 Likes

@Sirrian sign me up, I will gladly translate whatever you need!! I am a Russian living in Russia and I know my language and my country. And I love your game and will strive to do my absolute best!

4 Likes

Lol, @Lyya I kinda love it too.

What is your native language @Lyya ?

Oh, I’m playing the English version in my spare time. I only switch to Russian to continue working on the translation. It is not only that it’s jarring (tho it is) I’m just so used to the English version that I’m lost in the Russian one.

And thank you very much, @Papa @Namour @Isairyu @Eika @Ozball @Vangor for your support and words of encouragement! I truly appreciate it! :smiley:

7 Likes

Continue on with your good work ma’am! You’re doing great!

2 Likes

All of them look like the devs took the translation from Google, lol.
It would be better if the devs got REAL Russian translators instead.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say, great work.

I hope your voice gets the attention it deserves, especially just for the work that went into your initial post. I really do hope they are able to make the adjustments fast to all the mistakes you were able to point out.

As with Abynissia and Desdaemona poor (very poor) translation, did you give examples or adjustments however to what names would suit them better? I couldn’t see that anywhere.

1 Like

You win at QA. It’s unfortunate that you have to, but here we are, with you winning QA nonetheless.

1 Like

Thank you @zachraziel !

And abour Aby and Desdy I was going to get to that as I went over everything but you’re right. I should have addressed it right away.

I’m gonna add them to the post as soon as I have access to my laptop (and the Russian version of the game on steam. I’m on mobile atm, no Russian version here)

@zachraziel I’ve added Aby and Desdy to the post.
Let me know which Russian version for Abynissia you like better? :wink:

What I recommend you do is make occasional large posts in this thread, and just link to those in the first post. That way developers don’t have to worry about missing an update buried in the middle of things they have already seen.

And, as others have said, good work following up on a shoddy translation job by the publisher’s people!

2 Likes

@Grundulum thanks and thanks for the advice! I’ll do that! :slight_smile:

In the English langauge saying your glad you havent met the person irl for their sake…implies physical harm would be done.

I dont think physical harm is ever warranted over a game.

His tone from the start was very accusatory imo. Instead of “you done messed up a a ron”

First off english is my native language and American english to be more specific so i dont need to be instructed in its use and meanings

Second i think if you were to take EVERYTHING so word for word literal life would always be so confrontational

Its a turn of phrase brudda and if American english is your native language as well i think you know that so… Maybe get over yourself a bit

2 Likes

Thank you @Vangor

2 Likes