Is this for real? (Answer: not for long)

I’m tier 12 then rank 491

I have 856 PVP points

Rank is split up by battle points, when i say rank i mean based on the ranked rewards screen.

Yeah, I do understand you :wink: It’s just many people have been confusing the terms since the patch, and the fact that you’d posted that you were Rank 15 (which is also the lowest Tier number) made me wonder if you had as well. Mostly just my poor reading of your post though. Apologies.

Do not worry about it, the devs messed up the lingo so it will take some adjusting and confirming to see if we are all on the same page again.

Here is the reason I liked PvP. I tried to get to rank 1 early in the week so I could collect the extra glory each day. Then, after the last update (or one of recent ones), you got a nice weekly reward of glory, souls, and keys. Rank 1 earned a pretty respectable payoff on those.

I don’t really care what the changes are as long as I can still get similar rewards with similar effort.

Here is my next question. I was up to rank 4 for this week and was planning to up it to rank 1 last night when I ran into the update. (Played a bit, got frustrated, and started this thread. Hopefully, I wasn’t too negative.) I logged in this morning and my daily reward was based on achieving rank 12, i.e. 5 glory. I can not find that number (12) tied to my hero anywhere. In my STATS section of PvP, it shows me as rank 4279 and (old rank, I think you are saying this is now “tier”) 14.

What is 12 and how is my daily reward calculated?

The only error with this Ozball is that Tier is NOT based on a fixed number. It is based on PvP points which is a constantly falling number, due to defense losses, so unless you are constantly playing PvP then you will NOT attain higher Ranks. That is why I wrote my thread to suggest a change to how TIER rewards are awarded:

By fixed numbers I meant that the thresholds for getting the rewards were fixed numbers.

ie when you get to 600 PVP points you can claim the Tier 14 rewards, and once you reach 700 you can claim the Tier 13 rewards etc

The number of PVP points you need to be able to claim the Tier rewards is fixed, they don’t change, and you can claim the rewards as soon as you achieve that amount of points.

@Ozball Correct. The number is FIXED but to attain it is not. I am forever fighting an uphill battle. This is fine and expected in hardcore PvP, but for CASUAL PvP, it feels a bit… overwhelming. Hence the feelings of

“This game is not fun!”
“I’m quitting…”

blah blah blah

1 Like

I agree there is the feeling of an uphill battle, and I pretty sure the devs will be tweaking the numbers around till it feels like that. It’s just at the moment there have been a lot of bugs to stamp out, and the PVP system needs a bit of time to settle till it starts giving everyone more appropriate opponents (and PVP point rewards assumedly). But I feel that if people are quitting within less than 12 HOURS of the patch going live… that’s a tad shortsighted.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more! That’s why I started a very calm thread about the modifications! :wink:

1 Like

I agree that ragequitting at this point is a bit overdramtic and silly. However, one of the largest complaints/concerns centers around the core of the new PVP system not a bug. It isn’t satisfying to play a game if you feel that you aren’t making progress after putting in reasonable effort.

In this case, customers do have the expectation that the same amount of time and effort that they put in pre-2.0 should reap them the same rewards post-2.0. That’s a reasonable expectation. However, that can’t happen with the current mechanic. They really should not be deducting PVP points for defense losses.

5 Likes

I don’t want to imply that the current system has no problems other than bugs. I do agree that most of the complaints about the PVP system do reflect a core issue with in the system that needs to be addressed. I just feel that we need to give the devs some time to at address it is all.

I totally agree. They do need time to sort through all the feedback they are getting.

My thoughts exactly.

Perhaps. But these are professional I.T. people whose livelihood is based on writing computer programs. The expectation of the end-user is that the program works. Minor bugs are nearly impossible to avoid, but this seems like a major oversight.

Many people have paid money for this game and expect close to the same product they originally paid for.

It’s almost as if you have never played any video game ever…

According to @Sirrian a number of the bugs were caused by issues of scale, which is bane of most online game developers. Sometimes things are fine in internal testing, but only when you get tens of thousands of people playing it at once do the cracks begin to show.

Okay, I can accept that.

I am a little frustrated, and am waffling between an all-out rant and a reasoned plea.

I have put a fair bit of money into this game. I’m VIP 5, which is anyway over $150. That is way more than you would spend for any console game or PC game. And those games work the same way after a year of playing as they did when you initially purchased them. The problem with them is that they do end.

One of the interesting parts of an online game like GoW is its dynamic nature. But that can also be a point of frustration. The game I bought originally is not the game I am playing now. I’m not peachy-keen on all of the changes (and I’ve been a grumbler after every major update), but try to come to terms with them because I have a lot of time and money invested.

I want to like this game, because GoW hits my fun-buttons on so many levels. This update feels like a whole new game that, had I started today, I probably would not have continued with. It is very confusing to me, and I’ve been playing it for two years. I can’t imagine what this would look like to a new player. How would anyone ever get hooked?

This would be true for a triple a gaming franchise. However we are talking about a small team of developers who are trying to meet the deadline’s that are basicly enforced upon them by their fanbase. [quote=“Ozball, post:26, topic:7392”]
According to @Sirrian a number of the bugs were caused by issues of scale,
[/quote]

We all should have known this would happen, the evidence was there. This what some game companies call a botched launch. If we crash servers on monday reset why would we not expect errors of scale like this now? We do not know if they can afford the servers they are running or if they can get more. They afterall do have three games to 6 games running and 4 of them are on their servers.[quote=“IronyMan, post:27, topic:7392”]
(and I’ve been a grumbler after every major update)
[/quote]

I have favoured and liked every update till now. I am free to play. I like their thesis, though buggy at the start it might be. They made acceptable changes at least from my point of view but i am angered by the fact that the days leading upto it were in hindsight poor.

I hope you are joking. All users expect the program they’re using to “work.” Most don’t give a whit about the development team trials, tribulations, and floral arrangements in their cubicles.

I don’t disagree that the team is small, that’s for sure. I give them leeway to fix things because I like the product they’re making. But to be frank, you cannot fault a user for being frustrated when a game they were enjoying, and putting money into, stops working (even temporarily).

1 Like

This is an excellent point. It is just a little of history repeating itself that is irritating. This happens every 3 months and even sometimes more frequent than that. I believe that the team working on it is no bigger than 20 people tops split into 3 or 4 groups. Knowing that a triple A game has teams in the 100s or so and ,even more so for a 2 hour long movie, It was to be expected (by me at least) that this would occur. Still though even though there are problems i still love this game even though the update was a firey mess. It gives the game as much character as @sirrian and i like that.