[INVESTIGATING] Having no valid shuffle freezes game (Deep Dwarf)

Specs
Steam - Windows 10 Home

Description
If you manage to get into a situation where there is no valid shuffle for the board, the game freezes.

Expected:
System is able to detect that there is no way to shuffle the board.
Either:

1. No valid shuffle causes an auto-lose for the player.
    OR
  2. The entire board is blown up and reset.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
This can only happen if you fill the board enough with stone blocks.

Steps to make it happen again
I used team: [6097,6210,6987,1175,3051,1,2,2,3,0,0,0,14001]
Deep Dwarf required. Low attack on first unit. Anubite Warrior to remove skulls, and settle the blocks to the bottom. Had hero use a mana boosting weapon, cast on Deep Dwarf.

I explored in Sword’s Edge, and killed all enemies who could disrupt the board or do direct damage. It helps if the remaining enemies can barrier themselves, and/or reduce the first troop’s attack.

3 Likes

A stalemate in Gems of War caused by stone blocks that the devs implemented into the game that can result in the game crashing.

I’m…shocked… That this wasn’t thought out/tested prior to release. :roll_eyes:

Testing is not one of their strength.

2 Likes

On the one hand, this game state requires considerable effort to get into—effort that runs so far counter to normal gameplay that it will possibly never occur unless the player is actively trying to do it.

On the other hand, it also seems like “if no valid moves exist, remove all gems (and refill the board)” is a straightforward thing to code, and would avoid the game-lock.

6 Likes

I’m impressed by your board, good job

We are aware of this issue and are currently working on a fix.

2 Likes

Are you serious? This is the umpteenth time they release content with serious flaws and you really think the devs or Salty are hard done by?

5 Likes

One day, I hope someone loves me as much as Salty’s acolytes loves the Salty.
tumblr_inline_n11klpz8mI1sx3uwd540

2 Likes

I am an accomplished professional and I expect a minimum level of skill from game developers who would like to further get me to spend my money on their product. You, my friend, crossed the line by assuming something about how nice or happy I am. Start trolling elsewhere.

I am medior/senior software developer and when I first saw the spells when I queried the troops through the bot in discord, this problem crossed my mind immediately.
I was “But what happens when there are too many stone blocks on the board”

So either GoW is developed by a bunch of rookies who do not have enough experience to see a problem like this, or development is outsourced to some company(ies) who don’t care too much and they do only the minimum, or the staff do not care enough/don’t have enough time to think about features thoroughly.
This should be addressed by the company very soon.

4 Likes

This happen quite often now… After the battle (whatever)
the GoW will freeze , Still … after that GoW will quite itself
and reset the game. I will be recorded as lost.
This happened during GW on Tuesday and Wednesday so my precious points were reduced … and happened twice on during Delve battle which i lost at least 2 Sigils which equivalent of 200 Gems … This is all happened more recently and I am very upset … Any advice on this mater ?

Using iOS 14.6 , iPad 5th gene . GoW 5.6.1

It sounds like you have a connection issue, which is different than the issue noted above (which they have already released a new feature to resolve).

Try the steps in this article to see if it helps:

You can also log an issue with support here:

https://gemsofwar.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

They can look into it with you and can maybe help with the losses.

1 Like

When you get this behavior, try these three steps.

(1) Turn on airplane mode
(2) Wait five seconds
(3) Turn off airplane mode (that is, re-enable wifi)

I’ve found that this works pretty much all the time to allow me to reconnect with the servers and get credit for my victories.

2 Likes

@outlander if the game is actually crashing you back to your device’s homescreen by itself, please write a support ticket to us so we can get some more information from you. It sounds like a crashing issue on iOS that we’re investigating at the moment.