[Investigating] Copied text from guild chat does not go to device clipboard

Platform, device version and operating system:
iOS current, iPhone 7

Screenshot or image:
None useful.

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened?
I expected to be able to paste team codes outside the game when I copy them from guild chat. What actually happens is that my phone’s clipboard is unchanged.

I know @Mithran wrote a similar bug report post a while back about the interaction between copied team codes and the device clip board, but (1) I can’t find that thread, (2) the bug is not in the “Known Issues” list, and (3) my bug still occurs.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
It is completely reproducible. I just noticed it today, but I assume it has been happening for a while.

Steps to make it happen again

1. (optional) Close Gems of War so it must reboot the next time you switch to the app.
  2. Open up Notes on iOS. Type “Gems of War” into a note, select the text, and then choose to Copy it to the clipboard.
  3. Open Gems of War. Open Guild Chat. Select a team pasted by you or another player. Note the “Copied!” animation that appears on the right side of the screen.
  4. Go back to Notes, and Paste the text saved to the phone’s clipboard.
  5. It says “Gems of War”, not the team code you supposedly copied in step 3.

At the time, clicking the team code would copy to clipboard so I could copy it out of the game as well as put it in the internal game buffer. Now, it doesn’t. My original issue remains - clicking a team code from chat puts it in an internal game buffer that has priority over clipboard and can’t be changed without clicking another team code from chat, this will take priority every time you try to use paste team. The only way to clear this buffer is the restart the game.

To sum up, both issues would be solved if:

• Clicking on a team share code should always copy it to your clipboard (regardless of chat or troops screen)
  • Clicking on “Paste Team” should always use the team code on your clipboard.

The game buffer override should only be used in instances where the device’s clipboard or equivalent feature can’t be accessed by the game code for whatever reason (consoles, or maybe just Nintendo Switch?).

1 Like

@Kafka, this bug still exists as of just now.

@Kafka, I don’t know why you’re working on New Year’s Eve, but this bug still exists, and the thread appears to have slipped through the cracks of the new reporting protocol.

1 Like

Hey, sorry I missed this.

I’ve brought this up with the team, going to establish what the intended behaviour is (and why if it’s not intended to paste to an external app), then either make the bug report or a QoL request depending on that answer.

1 Like

This still exists and does not appear on the Known Issues list. I don’t think it is a QoL request—there is no reason for the game to not use my device’s actual copy buffer, especially since (as shown below), the game can access it under different circumstances.

For the record, the following steps do successfully copy the team code for pasting outside the game:

1. Make the team in the Troops menu.
  2. Under “Manage Team”, push the Team Share Code.

Edit to add: the bug Mithran described above still exists as well, and is also missing from the Known Issues list. No matter what team code I copy from outside the game, when I attempt to paste the team code in the Manage Team menu, I get the last team I copied from in-game chat.