In 3 weeks of GW we've had 3 members quit the game permanently

We haven’t lost any members because of GW yet (we lost two members simply because after 2 years they were tired of the game) which is surprising considering how badly we got screwed this past week.

1 Like

Because GW took a whole year to get here, I admit I was excited at first. But right before GW hit, I was struck down with an injury to my foot and was off my feet for 2.5 months. During this time I fell in love with casually grinding PVP wins and went from a casual player of maybe 300 trophies a week to 1000 trophies. Then GW hit and I started going back to work.

This double-whammy of having to play five very important battles against cheese defenses full of grief while going back to work after two months is just too much. I hate GoW and only play out of force of habit from playing the last 3 years. This is the only video game I play and after I quit this I won’t be playing games anymore because my work is taking me in a direction that doesn’t give me as much leisure time as I used to have.

So yeah, I love the “monotony” of casually grinding PVP, the freedom to retreat if the defense has too much grief or the RNG is laughing at me. No, when I fight GW I have to fight to the end, even if I get RNG screwed or mana screwed or whatever, because I can’t abandon a GW and lose points for my guild.

That’s stress. Its unnecessary and I think the majority of people playing this game weren’t expecting this to turn so ‘hardcore’ without them majorly reworking PVP to make it REAL TIME like in Hearthstone.

Today I boot up GoW, look at the wall of grief teams I have to face and turned it off. I’m not sure if I’m coming back. I probably will but I’m really on the cusp of being part of the stat of old time gamers leaving this game. The only thing bringing me back right now is force of habit and the small hope that they shitcan GW and replace it with something less stressy and less RNG-filled.

12 Likes

I 100% agree with this.

Unfortunately, I must agree again. I wish that GW offered that beacon of light and hope, but the fact of the matter is that if you are a late-game player suffering from burnout… no single gamemode is going to prevent said burnout. :frowning:

13 Likes

I’m an end-gamer that was holding out hope for GW. It did actually make the game more fun for me so even though it hasn’t delivered EXACTLY everything I had hoped, it’s certainly good enough for now.

10 Likes

I abandoned my final fight today. I lost my final fight yesterday. I missed a day last week and made it up on Sunday. No one in my guild gives a crap. And we’re bracket 6 this week, after being bracket 7 last week. It’s really hard for me to feel sympathy for all this incredible overwhelming stress players are experiencing based on my own experience.

8 Likes

End gamer, been here 2+ years and spent enough money to be VIP 15. For me, the problem with guild wars is the must-win feeling when going against the worst griefer defenses imaginable. If defense had to be 4 color as well, at least I wouldn’t be seeing Deathknight/3x Famine every day. This week it’s Kerberos/Giant Spider/Forest Guardian/Kerberos every flipping fight. It’s boring and annoying and almost not worth it.

This has not refreshed the game the way I had hoped. In my opinion, it has made it far worse.

19 Likes

Isn’t that a problem with the Event system and not GW?

Also, they’ve already said they’re nerfing DK.

1 Like

The core problem is the AI and the random nature of the GW.

There is no skill in the game at the moment, all you have is “kill before random cheese kills you”. The issue with most random cheese, is in the “Random” nature of it. If you can devour/death mark/kill the cheese before it kills you you win. If the other side gets lucky, it wins. There is no skill at all. At least in PvP no one cares that much and not everyone makes pure grief defenses.

this week is just even more nasty than normal because some of the worst grief troops where buffed to the point that only a lucky devour or death mark from your side can kill it before it gets at least one cast of the die to auto kill your team.

8 Likes

This isn’t totally true but it’s also not totally false either.

There are certain builds you can use, even with the 4-of-one-color limitation in GW, to avoid dying horribly against these teams.

That being said, about 1 in 7 or 8 matches these teams will beat you no matter what you do.

2 Likes

Honestly i see just as much so called grief defenses in regular pvp as in GW.
In GW with just 5 battles a day, at least it feels like taking my time and securely overcoming them isn’t a waste of my time.
In regular pvp however i just can’t justify spending that kind of time and attention on each battle, seeing as i play around 30 pvp battles a day on average.

6 Likes

Honestly, I think a big part of it is that they horribly mismanaged the Events for the first few weeks. Should’ve eased people into the system, gotten them more comfortably with their teams, with the idea of losing a little, etc. Really ripped the band-aid off with their choice of troop buffs.

7 Likes

There are some recovery and healing abilities that I’d love to see exist in the normal PvP environment, but as great healing units get made, the battles will take longer and longer.

I, personally, am very against total random kills, devours, and full mana drains. Psion is as strong as I think Mana drain should get.

I like things like setting up Winter Wolf and Dire Wolf to try and set up these combinations to do lots of damage. Things I have a chance to play against verses a 50% chance to devour, with no way to penalize it.

2 Likes

Seconded! I also like trying to use the ‘either or’ type troops now too. Adds spice.

Would never of thought of Nobend, Mongo/Mimic, Gog and Gud, Behemoth being a team I’d even attempt to use.

Well maybe Mongo is too random. But hilarious if something awesome happens!

3 Likes

The monotony of it all is getting to me as well. I can somewhat skip it in PvP, but not in GW at all.
I’m not into SM… sorry, not my thing… but GW is feeling like just that… I have to sit there and take the abuse.

I’m starting to think GW would have been better of with defense teams setup by the developers for each day of the week. At least then it might have been somewhat fun… instead of the slug fest it is right now, where it’s one nasty horrible team after another.

Especially this week, combined with normal PvP having the exact same team for every match, due to the buff to beasts this week.

The lesson to learn here would be: Don’t add event stone weeklies on buffed troops.

4 Likes

This week was even worse than last week. I see GW as homework, the price to pay to stay in a top clan and get resources

3 Likes

Another reason to hope your top players stay loyal and don’t chase the top, our first week on console so I don’t know how it will effect our guild just yet. Fingers crpssed everyone is happy with our rankings and points.

2 Likes

We haven’t lost any players at all, and havent heard much bad stuff in our guild.
People get annoyed by bugs - because who doesn’t, they don’t like some parts of GW aren’t polished etc., but no one complained about thd core of GW. We are taking a casual approache, yet we are playing up on the top and winning most daily battles.
What would make GW a LOT more fun is if the defense also had to be 4 troops of the that days color.
Attacker would lose like 95% less and everyone would be more happy.
How to do so? Just disable any defense that doesn’t have 4 troops of that days color and game could automatically fill 4 spots with the chosen color (if players don’t construct a defense by themselves).

13 Likes

I disagree. I think restricting defenses to the color of the day will make battles far less challenging, which is the whole point of GW in my view. It also doesn’t make sense that defenses would be hard restricted but offenses not. At the very least it should be consistent. Even then, it seems like it would largely result in GW battles being even easier than PvP battles.

2 Likes

They would be. But lost battles would be even more impactfull as the enemy wouldnt lose probably.
Also having all 4 troops alive would become the determining factor.

1 Like

Which is a terrible main objective for GW fights anyways if you ask me, the way too high bonus for surviving troops already twisted the contest around this weird way to approach the battles.

It is like fighting an epic kung fu battle in some dirty and dark side alley with Donnie Yen, but with the objective to not get dirt on your suit in the fight…taking all the fun out of it!

13 Likes