I love the thorn Knight... Knight team discussion!

Yeah Tau is pretty weak.

Tau isn’t a Knight though, and won’t ever become one, it would ruin the joke !

1 Like

No, but he is a Raksha and I’ve been using one of those teams lately.

Love me some Knights. They’re my go-to class in almost any RPG. It made me sad that there’s so little synergy among the knights in this game, because I’d love to run an all-knight team. I built one around the Settite Warrior’s spell (Alastair Green Seer Settite Settite), and it was ok but not great. THEN, oh but then, I read the OP and the light bulb came on. I realized I had overlooked the Winter Knight, so now my team is:

Winter Knight***
Green Seer***
Settite*
Pride Guard***

Double green banner.

Wow. It’s not all Knights, but dang is it effective. Settite works really well with WK because WK keeps him armor high and rarely loses any since he gives himself barrier. Settite therefore does really large damage, and Pride Guard can snipe to kill individual targets. I can mop up Warlord IV teams in explore with ease, and the best part is you can’t be blocked by any traits and don’t really rely on any to a great degree either; it’s just high damage and solid defense. Really fun to play, but I haven’t tested it in PvP yet.

2 Likes

I think the biggest issue with knights is limited board manipulation, something that could perhaps be resolved by a hero weapon choice?

Most Blue weapons are damage-based. Kinda sucks to be a Knight in GoW :frowning:

1 Like

It might be worth giving up the magic bonus for a proper weapon, especially seeing as many board manipulation weapons dont scale much with magic anyway!

1 Like

Especially for all-Knight teams, I have a 4-Bunni’Nog team lined up. Usually doesn’t take more than a minute to shoot all Knights to infinity (plus two).

1 Like

As a Lumberjack, I am OK with this statement.

1 Like

I work all day, so I’m too busy to know what you mean.

2 Likes

Interesting! Winter Knight is, indeed, VERY STRONG. But I hadn’t considered using him as the armor source, since I expect him to take a beating all game. But if that works out… then he can be simultaneously building armor AND building offense - which is good synergy.

And he does tend to take a beating, but barrier mitigates that a bunch, and the thing is even if you can’t get his armor way high, you still keep him alive a long time, allowing the rest of your team time to chip away at the bad guys. Not to mention freezing enemies on skull matches is a good way to slow down the enemy. Combine that with the chance to entangle the first enemy with the Seer, and the AI has to do a good job of board control or else be able to cast attack spells really often to get past your first troop. Otherwise they have to rely on lucky skull drops (those can be a major setback, but can be overcome).

Of course, AI is lousy at board control, which means you can win on offense easily. On defense, because this team does rely somewhat on Green Seer, and the WK alters the board a bit, it would likely falter pretty quickly. Too much chance of handing a human player some really good matches.

I’m going to start testing this out in PvP when the next event starts, and I’m pretty hopeful it’ll work out pretty well against most defense teams. I’ll report back with results as compared to my current Soothsayer/Valk/Mab/Mab, which wins 95% or more.

1 Like

My Gloom Leaf eats Knight teams for breakfast :fork_and_knife:
Used to get 150+ Armor and 80+ Attack on him in one game vs full knight team… All Knights had 0 attack) And Winter Knght’s armored trait and barrier matter at all vs Gloom Leaf. Steals armor through them.

This actually sounds like a great argument in favor of knight teams! Because it encourages interesting & effective counter-teams that we’re not seeing much these days.

2 Likes

Pride Guard or Paladin in the right knight team makes quick work of Gloom Leaf. :wink:

So, here’s my report. This screen cap was taken immediately after I hit Tier 1:

Pretty good win rate. I’ve had worse runs with Soothsayer/Valkyrie/Mabx2.

Here’s what I learned.

Advantages: being able to freeze on skull damage can occasionally save you tremendous pain (especially with skull spammers; can’t get two skull attacks in); reliance on regular spell damage makes it hard to counter; Winter Knight usually does make it pretty high up the armor scale, making for huge damage dealt by Settite/Pride Guard; split damage plus sniping is awesome; and even if you lose a troop, you can still win.

Disadvantages: heavy reliance on green mana makes Frozen your worst nightmare, and you don’t get the maester of nature bonus to make up for it; really strong AoE teams (especially built around a fully traited Mab) can deplete your armor fast; spells (and Aspect of Famine) that decrease a random stat kills barrier if they hit armor or life, leaving WK open to damage; not the fastest team to win with; no Valkyrie for souls.

My only loss was to a Jarl/Mab/Venoxia/forgot the last troop team who got pretty dang lucky with looping with Jarl’s spell, thus freezing my troops constantly and preventing me from building armor. Some of it was also my own fault for opening up 4+ matches to the AI because I wasn’t paying enough attention.

Summary: Definitely a viable team at my level of play (7000-8200 is about the range of team values I fight), though not ideal for the time-crunched or soul-poor.

1 Like

So, update on that team. I decided to change it up a bit:

Winter Knight***
Golden Cog (class is irrelevant to the weapon so could go for mastery, perks, or traits)
Goblin Shaman***
Settite Warrior

You lose the sniping ability of the Pride Guard, but with Golden Cog doubling WK’s armor you can do ENORMOUS damage. Not as knight heavy, though, unless you pick the knight perk for your hero.

1 Like