How are we all feeling about Gems of War now? Let’s review!

I chose “Others” because I think there are some very good ideas and some interesting improvements in the last update.
However I can’t say that I am happy. I don’t like at all the pay to win direction the game is taking. Always more new content. That is not really satisfiying because it has not been thought enough about it. Devs who don’t know their own game and who are disconnected from the community. More and more bugs, many of whom never get fixed. Cheating is not a preoccupation of the team.
I still enjoy the game, but I feel a lot more worried about its future than happy.

18 Likes

Thank you for sharing, and if I went through every feeling we had, there would be 20 choices up there. That’s why I put other.

Worried, that’s a great choice. And I can see where your coming from, this used to be my favorite game and now I don’t know anymore.

I run a guild though, so that’s why I’m staying as positive as possible, the last thing I want to do is pass it on.

So it’s good to see the majority of people liking the update, but wanting some changes, most of us do.

So please dev team, make that magic happen.

4 Likes

I love the new content, all I wish is they would improve rewards for Raid, Invasion and PVP weekly leaderboards. The #2 placement for Invasion invested over 6,000 gems and won a single random orb and what like 300 gems?

1 Like

I chose not happy because I already make and use teams based around troop type and kingdom limitations in PvP, so this new mode just gives me less rewards for doing so. :roll_eyes:

Plus, I don’t like the amount of gems it appears players are expected to sink into the new modes.

Oh and also because each new boss or tower nemesis troop is only useful for the week is released! Beware, it’s a trap for gems and traitstones peoples!!

10 Likes

Raids / Invasions are a step in the right direction. However the current implementation is such that it is hard to imagine that the new modes will be a commercial success.

For me, both weeks started well enough and I found the two modes interesting initially. However as the week wore on, it became a drag. A huge part of the problem is that the battles got progressively longer as the stats ratcheted up. While I do not mind the occasional 15 to 20 min epic battle, doing such long battles 1 after another quickly wore me out. Instead of being fun, using up the sigils at the end of the week ended up being a chore. I began to play less carefully and ended up with more losses than I normally would have. Adding to the woes was that I had to use a deck which I was not fond of because of troop restrictions. The rewards I ended up with were also a joke - among the orbs I collected, I ended up with 4 orbs of growth. As an end game player who has crafted Dawnbringer and has 1.1 million souls in reserve, that reward is :triumph::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Moving forward, it is hard to imagine players continuing to spend hundreds if not thousands of gems on the two modes. For the next wave, I don’t see myself buying more than Tier 2 for Raids. For Invasions, I will probably soldier through without buying any Tier since an invasion deck with Dawnbringer / Mang is likely to get you to Stage 8. I suspect that many other end game players will come to a similar conclusion and spend their gems sparingly. For newer players without the benefit of large gem caches and decks which are fully ensouled/ traited, it is hard to see them playing these modes seriously.

Given the amount of financial resources which have been invested in 3.3, there is a need to look at things dispassionately. Changes need to be urgently implemented to make the new modes more playable, more rewarding and most importantly more fun.

7 Likes

For all the whining I do I still play it every day in most of the free time breaks I take so there’s that. I need to stop being a negative jerk.

5 Likes

New modes could work well, but alot needs to be improved. The P2W aspect is way too strong. It’s clear and obvious, but will Devs fix it before player attrition becomes a business liability? The new modes are way to random in terms of “Chaos Prizes”. Some of the Orbs are quite useful, but not for the Gems required, given that rewards are totally random. Too much grinding is required for Raid Boss and Invasion; these modes get repetitive and boring much faster than the old Guild Wars.

All in all, these new modes “could” diversify the game play, but meaningful tweaks are required very quickly. If major changes in the rewards and and shop system are not implemented within a month or 2, I predict significant player attrition. Simply put, the cost is way too high for entry and mid-level players.

NowayJoe2Go

8 Likes

New Modes need some polish otherwise this patch is good.

1 Like

I picked the “Other” option for various reasons. I said a longer version of this on another post, but I’ll summarize it here:

Honestly, I haven’t been “happy/thrilled/excited/whatever word you want to use” by this game in a long time. The last addition I enjoyed was the Glory Reward troops and weekly “snot-stone” event introductions. And, the last update I enjoyed was the one before the gems nerfs to tasks and before the “New” UI was a thing. So, yeah, I haven’t been “Happy” in quite awhile.

That all being said, I’m not at the “I’m quitting” stage yet either. What I have done, however, is invested less time and (real) money in this game as these new updates have been coming out. If I’m not really “Happy” with the game, then I feel I shouldn’t invest money in it. But, if I am “Happy” with it again, then I shall put more money into it. Basically, as it stands right now, I’m not over-joyed with this game, like I used to be, but I’m not ready to “jump ship” quite yet. Hence, why I picked the “Other” option.

Now, how do I feel about this update, specifically? Well, minus the Bounty mode (as I haven’t tried it yet), I would give this update a 5/10, at best. Why? Well, let’s break that down.

What I like:

1. Gnomes and their Vault (They’re fun and a refreshing addition to the game)
  2. The “Replay” button for Explore (this has been a long time coming and, frankly, should have been in this game a long time ago).
  3. The fact that Guild Wars is no longer every week.
  4. Adding Kingdom names to troops (Much like Replay for Explore, this should have been in the game a long time ago)

What I’m Indifferent about:

There are few things I’m more “indifferent” about than dislike. For example, Orbs, the Dragon Soul rework and the expansion of “snot-stone” events.

What I dislike:

1. Raids and Invasions. While, it is true that I’m glad GW is not every week, I feel what they replaced it with is lackluster. Its a bit dull and a huge gem sink. That being said, I do like Invasions more than Raids.

2. Pretty much anything else I didn’t already list (unless I missed some big, grande thing that’s amazing I forgot about).

All in all, if you look at my list, you’ll notice I “like” more things than I “dislike”, so, why won’t I give this update a better score? Well, it’s because the things I like are either: things that should have been in this game long before now or things that are just minor, overall (minus Gnomes). The things I dislike are pretty major. I dont really care for two of the big events that this update was supposed to be about, that’s pretty bad, in my opinion. I didn’t care much for GW either when they first came in, but at least I felt like I was getting something out of it. With Raids and Invasion, I feel like I’m losing way more than I’m gaining, and that’s a problem for me.

So, there you go. More or less my thoughts on this update and the direction this game is taking, as a whole.

8 Likes

Bumping, for more votes and thoughts.
Thank you everyone for the help and participation!

2 Likes

I, personally, don’t even mind that two new modes are gem-sinks. You can participate for free and you pay only for progressing more. It’s ok, I can live with it. But I abso-bloody-lutely hate that Raids and Invasions are boring time sinks. At first I enjoyed Raids quite much, felt that sweet thrill of victory after defeating a much more powerfull opponent. But after a few repetitions it become just a chore and a VERY unpleasant chore at that. I felt that I have to use up all my sigils because my guild deserves the rewards (as meager as they were) that the mode gave us. But from Tuesday on, I hated every minute of it. Invasions were pretty much the same but the battles took slightly less time to complete so, as a result, I hated them slightly less too. I couldn’t find a correct option for my state of mind in the poll. It would be - hate two new modes, kind of like gnomes, and definitely won’t quit yet but only because I like my guild. Yes, I am in a very, very nice guild, with people I like and consider friends :slightly_smiling_face:. So I won’t quit, but only because of them, not thanks to the devs.

3 Likes

Well, it’s good to see we have 100 voters,out of the 50,000 ppl that play Gems of war.

Does anyone know how many players we really have playing gems on all platforms? I do ranked pvp and after 100 fights I’m ranked 14,000.

Are there really that many players or do you think the devs put bots in to fill in the numbers?

All in all, I think we have some pretty good feedback here. Thanks.

3 Likes

The Good: l admittedly was let down, but, after the new patch hangover, I enjoy several aspects. Putting new game modes aside we’ve got a little more diversity and options with new troops (not tech 3.3 but the two kingdoms rolled out close), the game looks nicer, troop interface is easier, explore replay :P, etc. I am having a lot of fun in PvP and I am glad to see GWs back.

The Bad: Of course the main complaints are the new game modes. Gnomes suffered probably the worst launch they could have. It is what it is, but I had fun with the event. Bounty Hunter starts in one day so we’ll see. The raid and invasion shop is a god awful money sink and it isn’t even close to being subtle. I can’t imagine what new and even mid range players thought when they saw it. In terms of gameplay, invasions are fun. A lot of that was helped due to the fact that the troop type was diverse enough that I didn’t need to break gems to participate. Raids are pretty rough, however. I had to buy several tiers to remain competitive and the strategy is essentially firing off the specific troop and hoping the other team doesn’t get a cascade. Each day was so draining. I barely played the game after dealing with it. How does that sound fun? I play when I get off work to relax not to clock into another job.

It’s a mixed bag. I have expressed before how I have seen online games have ups and downs. Still having fun and still here for the time being, but I do want to leave off by saying I have felt compelled to invest more time playing this week than the previous two.

3 Likes

I think that it’s a real thing. You meet here people from all around the world, and considering to how many languages the game was translated to it feels like a relatively low number.

1 Like

That has already be debated last year on this forum. :slight_smile:
I still think there must be a bug or something. The only way there could be so many active players considering how few guilds are really active is that there are thousands and thousands of silent guildless people farming trophies week after week.
I have done 260 trophies in PVP since reset and I am rank 29,000!!!

2 Likes

It’s hard to believe that many ppl are really playing.

1 Like

That’s…reasonably likely, actually. For most games in general, anyway.

2 Likes

Maybe… No idea at all…
All I can say is that according to @Taransworld’s tool, a little less than 50 guilds of the top 300 have made more than 10K trophies last week. That is 1,500 people at best.
His rankings for last week also included 130 guilds between rank 300 and rank 1300. The weekly average for these 130 guilds is less than 1K trophies.
And we should have 40K or 50K people making more than 300 trophies each week?

3 Likes

I really don’t have any opinion on this overall, but having moved from a bracket 3 guild into a bracket 20-something guild a month ago, I can attest to the fact that there are hundreds and hundreds of guilds on PS4 (and probably thousands upon thousands of guilds on PC/Mobile) that have 1-5 players who silently grind away in mediocrity without ever sniffing the upper brackets. Many of these players are mid to high-level and have good decks, but don’t bother to gather together to get full value out of the guild system. My current guild was climbing brackets for over a year before I even joined, so I’ve seen just a tiny sliver of this.

On one hand, it is hard to believe that there are 10,000 to 20,000 players that play more than I do on PS4 alone. On the other hand, given the 8 billion people in the world, anything’s possible.

4 Likes

So is there no way to find out the actual numbers? I know steam shows monthly users, base on what ppl show here, but is there a way to see the big picture?

1 Like