Holy loot box Batman!

Making the font incredibly hard to read to make folks aware of this being a paid loot box seems very much intended. And very ambulance lawyer type because of it.

15 Likes
3 Likes

It seems like they are pulling out all the stops of scumbaggery to rake in as much cash as they can, it’s all going to collapse on them soon if they keep down this path.

7 Likes

Greedy, greedy, greedy… I noticed that this morning, and you absolutely cannot read the text as shown here.

6 Likes

I almost fell for this. I had to reread it 3 times. Then checked chances. Was about to spend 6 dollars to snatch up 6 orbs. They dirty!

2 Likes

It’s even worse that the text being hard to read. The whole layout attempts its best to mislead you into thinking this is a fair gamble. It shows you a list of items all presented the same way, claiming two will be picked at random for you to choose from. What it doesn’t even hint at is that it the “random” pick is heavily skewed towards trash items, you’ll almost always walk away with either ingots or traitstones. The gory details are hidden behind the question mark on the upper left.

I believe this kind of handling is considered illegal in quite a few countries. There needs to be at least a clear indicator that this is not a fair gamble, directly on the offer screen, not tucked away in some linked location as hidden condition. There’s also the matter of directly gambling with money instead of going through a proxy currency, which may mean Gems of War is currently not compliant with the age rating 12+.

23 Likes

Just for comparison, here’s what this offer looks like on PS5:

The text is much clearer, but could still do with having an actual black background to make sure people can read it. The various options scroll through, if you wait, but it’s clear that the design wants you to think “you get these three things for this price”.
Pressing triangle brings up the following:

Not sure why this isn’t just the main page, rather than the scrolling images, but at least we get a (supposedly) accurate list of percentage chances for these lootboxes, rather than others in the game (summoning stones, dragon eggs, orbs of chaos - all in soulforge) which refuse to share that information.

3 Likes

It’s simple. They show the best things you can get to trick you into buying it when in reality you are more likely to get the trash. Having the percentages front and center will make people think more making them less money.

3 Likes

I bought 1 and had the choice of orb of glory or the 5 ignot pack. Lucks crap so it will be the last time :sweat_smile:

This is just the same as FIFA packs

Nothing to see here. Not illegal, just frowned upon.

2 Likes

Exactly the same as buying a pack of trading cards.
From Pokémon to baseball.

Real money exchanges, for pure luck of the mythical babe Ruth or diamond Pikachu.

Waist of a post.

Now that I can read it, I’m really confused by the text.
Lamp will select 2/10 rewards.
“You will be able to choose which of the 2 rewards you want”

What?

EDIT:
Nevermind. I understand now. The lamp chooses 2 things. You choose which of the 2 you want.
So like, IRL money merchants… Stupid.

1 Like

Yes there actually being scummy by not adding one word.

It should say pick one of the 2 rewards.

1 Like

OMG there’s text there! :rofl: I 100% didn’t even see it and I was starting at that screen for a while :joy:

Damn, time for glasses :eyeglasses:

2 Likes

So it’s obviously kingdom background-dependent then? This is why text boxes need (at least semi-) opaque backgrounds.

1 Like

They could also put a black border on the text.

2 Likes

11% chance of Minor Orb of Minions (10%) and Orb of Glory (1%)
89% chance of Junk for most. A Lesser Orb of Glory is 3 seasons medals…

LFG!!!

2 Likes

That was my first reaction to this post. Looks fine, what’s the issue? Oh, it’s the text I couldn’t even see. Yeah, makes sense. Lol.