Has anyone figured out anything yet about the new scoring system?

You can get a total of 419% bonus score (with 50% guild statue bonuses) in various additive bonuses on top of your original score, which now varies and increases in value as you move through the ranks. Each correctly colored starting troop is worth 50% bonus (with level 100 guild statues). Each action taken under 50 actions is worth 1% (minimum 1 action to win any battle, for a max of 49%). Turn count is irrelevant, only actions taken matter. The remaining 170% is divided between survival bonus, mana ratio bonus, and damage ratio bonus. The exact maximum score for each I have yet to determine, but if you deal four times as much damage as your opponent (or they deal zero), you have maxed your damage ratio bonus, and if you collect four times as much mana as your opponent (or they collect zero), you have maxed your mana ratio bonus, and if you end with four troops (regardless if they are summons or not), you have maxed your survival bonus. You are not penalized for ā€œdealing less damageā€ if you use true damage or devours or deathmark, so long as you have dealt at least four times as much your opponent. Likewise, the best way to max out your mana bonus is to not let the enemy take mana rather than trying to take as much mana as possible, because what matters is the ratio (up to 4 times). And of course, your team will be far more effective and youā€™ll score better in everything if you simply keep everyone alive while doing so instead of relying on a summon. Easier said than done, of course.

6 Likes

IMG_7353

Here is the screenshot Eika, if this is what you meant. I unfortunately did not take a screenshot of the actual battle scores whoops. @Stan, I now see that the base points per battle are slightly different, I didnā€™t even notice that that had changed.

@Mithran wow thank you!!

I have learned so much more than I expected from this post so far, you guys all rock!

2 Likes

Thanks. Total score is quite good for a yellow day tho for going 4 daily colored troops. Almost 7300. So yeah you did something good in the other matches.

2 Likes

Overall, I am always happy with the majority of my scores, I can just never figure out how I get most of the scores I end up with haha :rofl:

I like that the new system is complex, I just havenā€™t had the time to dissect itā€¦so I really appreciate you guys helping me see how it all works.

2 Likes

I donā€™t even try to dissect it - there are too many little wrinkles that they arenā€™t explaining. Iā€™m happy just to know the general parameters that affect my score and then do my best. Iā€™m in a non-competitive guild, so I donā€™t have a lot at stake, but it makes a portion of the game that I donā€™t particularly like a little more palatable.

3 Likes

However if you do much the same thing in every battle you should se a stair pattern going up in points to each score out of the 5 battles. I have seen this pattern today as I got like:
1150-1250-1350-1450-1550 (didnt note the numbers but it was almost like this, only using 3 daily colors)

That means that all my matches was about the same:

2 Likes

I beg to differ. Our current Paragon tends to run slower more control-oriented and looping teams. She was consistently a Herald before the points changes and has been Paragon every week since.

Using 4 colors, keeping 4 troops alive, and doing a lot of damage and mana filling over a longer game is a completely viable strategy now.

Tbh, it feels to me like any decent PvP team can now be good in GW and itā€™s much more about playing well. Which is how it should be. Like I said before, the one issue I still see is that the grief-meta is still too prevalent: Psion, Famine, Kerby/FG, etc.

2 Likes

And we can say it again, there will always be a meta, we will never be happy. Same with Heartstone and Pokemon/Magic cards too.

Yeah, I donā€™t think the issue is so much that a meta exists, itā€™s that the meta that exists is especially sucky. Thereā€™s also something to be said for the meta changing occasionally. Making a successful game like Hearthstone, MTG, or Gems requires shifting the meta every so often so it doesnā€™t get stale ā€“ regardless of whether the meta is ā€œgoodā€ or ā€œbadā€.

Iā€™m sure if they created a really extreme defense bonus system where you got 0 points for using anything but all unique troops across all the days that there would still be some teams that are obnoxious. In fact, I think itā€™s safe to assume that players will come up with 6 obnoxious teams for the week. But, at the very least, it would be 6 different teams and they wouldnā€™t all be equally obnoxious. Frankly, Iā€™d rather play the same fight once a day for 6 days than 5 times a day for 6 days. And since not all players run just those 6 teams, in practice youā€™re likely to see a huge amount of additional diversity.

Alternatively, Iā€™m sure they could shake up the meta just by nerfing the hell out of a few troops. Nerfing all Mana Drainers and Devourers would do the trick. Itā€™s obviously a crude solution, but thereā€™s a lot of benefit to making a really significant change every once in a while.

They should have a new spell called ā€œregurgitateā€ where you can have one of your devoured teams spit back up haha. Or, it could be a trait, and if a troop is devoured there is a 50/50 chance that the regurgitate trait will counteract the devour and make it null and void.

1 Like

This is what i was advocating for ppl to do from jump. Remember the thread that got everyone arguing? This is what i meant when i said we dont need to know every piece if the formula.

4 Likes

And of course there is always a few that wants to know everything. They forget that it is the Devs decision if they want to show how a formula work or not, and players should respect their decisions instead of running wild about it.

1 Like

Iā€™m just happy that this whole post has been a nice discussion, and not the crazy arguments that some of these forum posts turn into. I was off on quite a few of my base parameters (ie every battle having a base of 300) so this has all definitely helped me understand the basics.

3 Likes

This shows you how great and helpful GoW community it is.

3 Likes

Soā€¦ What have I observed?
More than a field of data. And lot of coffee.

For anyone who remembers the old system scoring (and currently the 3rd day of 5 battles), the limit is not 1500 points as people previously believed. The ceiling goes above that.

And there is a ā€œbestā€ way to play it. When pursuing the top scores, that is. If only survival and winning is the question - yes. Anything that wins, works. Now finishing with 4 troops doesnā€™t really make much difference anymore (summoners less relevant). So more options, indeed.
The highest route only has window for 1 playstyle. Not sure if there are others, but 1 certain playstyle just straightforward shines.

Oh, not that it matters since the system feels nice and doesnā€™t appear to have any loopholes left - but the formula they disclosed is wrong. Very wrong. Donā€™t ever try to look at it :smile:
But you still know what gives you points. Damage, Mana, Colors, Actions and Surviving troops. Note that surviving troops will not hurt you much now. It really feels like a feature to determine the paragon.

For everyday Guild War Battles and guilds who aim to improve rather than get best scores - luck will play a big role. Playing safe will bring you most points, still (So Barriers, Summoners are valuable). Win/Lose is much more valuable than risky teams that bring more points per excellent battle. Statistically.

But in order to get some nice goodies - getting at least 2 mana generators in your team will definitely bring you up. Those can be Gem Transforms or, preferably Exploders. The reason is not mana ratio specifically - but it speeds up your game. Just be careful so your Key Troops donā€™t get eaten or blasted by Famine :wink:

So, yea. Finishing ASAP gives more points, but the risk of playstyle is not worth if you are against a difficult team. Loosing 1 of 5 battles takes away roughly 1400 points in average. Thatā€™s 3 days worth of the Fast,Risky way.

I hope I helped at least a bit. Cheers everyone!

3 Likes

Do you mean the actual syntax of the formula (which we knew to be wrong from the beginning), or the actual intent/spirit of what they described?

It is needlessly complicated, for one. I mean, you will know where do the points come from - but it is unsolvable. It cannot be used anyhow. Something was unsaid, or the formula incorrect. Either way - it can be forgotten. We all know what are the criteria, so itā€™s not like we need the formula anyway. I said it only in case someone wanted to waste the time =)

For example, using a troop of the right color gives you 125 / 137 / 150 / 163 / 175 points (500-700 total). If that helps anyone. But I think this one is obvious :smile:

I think its deliciously complicated lol

3 Likes