Harold MEME Thread

i agree
i asked for 20 starting boards coz i am curious how does it differ by a player and what factors influence it
right now i play the DS deck a lot and i agree its very color-elastic. but i remmember in past when i was playing decks with mercy i still didnt feel as unlucky as some players in this thread, i want to study why

especially i want to find the anchors that lead to my way of game perception where i dont really ever feel unhappy or unlucky even when the ai has a lucky strike vs me

1 Like

I’ve always had terrible luck in GoW, so much that I just thought it was normal, and worked around it. I’ve generally played under the assumption that if I relinquish the turn, it is highly likely that the AI will chain extra turns until it kills one of my troops. So it’s always been baffling for me to read other people talking about the game being easy, or watching videos of other people play. My win rate was about 70% through the early portion of the game, until I eventually was able to put together teams with enough board control to stack the odds in my favor. There weren’t good and bad streaks, it felt like the AI was cheating, all the time.

And that’s simply the problem with randomness. It’s not guaranteed to be evenly distributed across… anything, other than huge samples. No matter how small the probabilities, given enough time and players, someone’s going to hit any unlikely outcome you can name. Someone’s going to be that unlucky, and the developer has to come to terms with that, decide whether they really want that to be possible, or whether they have an actual target experience in mind.

The law of averages is not comforting. Knowing that the rates are accurate when spread across the entire set of events, across all players, doesn’t help at all when an individual player’s experience doesn’t match those rates.

If you have multiple events consuming from the same generator, the outcome isn’t independent anymore, and behavior patterns can skew the distribution. This tends not to show up in focused testing, because testing one thing at a time minimizes the skew.

5 Likes

Not to mention that you won’t see angry diatribes from the half of the players who manage to land on the sunny side of RNG Street. The forums will always skew negative for that reason.

6 Likes

I quoted this word because i never saw it before…

But anyway, i think it’s our human condition, sometimes we share the good news/results because keeping it to ourselves just doesn’t cut it sometimes.

And we also share our misery because it loves company, it’s not like we look around to have some relief that everyone else is in the same predicament, not always at least, but even for minor issues in life we like to share our “deep sighs”, maybe get a pat on the shoulder and/or some encouraging word and then we move on.

Highly social creatures aren’t we?

5 Likes

I used to get so mad at the game whenever I lost that I tried physically breaking my phone in half. >.>

More than once. <.<

Anger management issues, like whoa. I know.

Now I quit battles all the time if I’m not gonna win fast enough. lol ¯_(ツ)_/¯

This happened to me once, not exactly like this because one number was totally off but with five correct numbers i would still win something like 700.000 “banana moneys” or “23.334ish” pizzas. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please don’t let this thread hit 10K. I will die of embarrassment.

3 Likes

TARGET ACQUIRED

[spoiler][/spoiler]

8 Likes

3 Likes

#DON’T TAKE ANOTHER STEP

1 Like

Will it make things worse if I say I have 200 invade wins and only 1 actual loss so far this week (on console)? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like
2 Likes

Ummmmm… Huh? This makes my brain cry…:tired_face:lol

Today game same yesterday game! Bang sticks make fire! Club antelope take cave feed children!

11 Likes

@Sirrian i would submit to you that science IS art😀

1 Like

Ha ha very funny lol… Please dont let my ignorance of the topic discourage your knowledge😀 ive made it abundantly clear that i am woefully under-educated in tech which is why your post made my brain cry lol

So in short:
“Do you boo, do you”
-kevin hart

4 Likes

right when it turned into a useful thread? :frowning:
i wanted to research game impression bias, luck and such :scream:

Don’t feel bad brother you aren’t the only one. I take pride in not knowing things. It’s their job to explain it to me.

4 Likes

That sounds like you want to collect data from every day players. If that is so i can definitely help with that. Just tell me what info you need and ill help to the best of my aability

2 Likes