Guild Wars - Sneak Peek III

+1, Sunday is a typical rest day for me. Not that i don’t play on that day, but far less as i mostly use the Sunday to ‘prepare’ for next week grind.

2 Likes

Out of interest, what’s the rationale for not just starting on the Monday (so that players have two days to use the final 5 keys)?

2 Likes

We’re going to be seeing a lot of Bone Dragon Defense teams again I guess…

2 Likes

There is some stuff that guild members can do on the first day (explanations coming in another update), and we wanted to make sure they had time to do it uninterrupted by an actual battle taking place.

11 Likes

And then what happened???

Right now, my main concern is the defence. Let’s say on tuesday, you set up an anti blue team. Then on wednesday I set up an anti yellow team. This means that someone that saved their battles for the next day has a much easier time with beating me, which if I am the paragon, it now is super important.

Just wondering about this. Can’t really think of a solution either.

4 Likes

There is also the problem of players getting their attacks in before other players have had a chance to set up their new anti color defense.I think I may have solution for that one, what if we could set up our planned defense teams for each color on day one. That way when the new day rolled in they would automatically go into play. That would take care of the problem of players in a certain time zones having an unfair advantage too.

I agree with Scala, what happens then? If someone saved up their battles would they only be able to play against the current day’s anti color, it wouldn’t be able to backtrack to colors for the previous days would it?

3 Likes

Looks really good, thanks for giving us another taste. I am a bit disappointed that it’s so rational, no chance to use the pitchfork this week :frowning: . Instead, a few questions (some have already been asked):

1. Is it possible to see the opponents “Guild Progress” in addition to your own, since just seeing the score doesn’t mean a lot if you don’t know if they’re 20% or 80% done.
  2. Is there a different defense team for GW compared to PvP.
  3. Will there be a “guild scores” list to see how the rest of your guild is doing individually?
  4. Does the daily bonus apply to the defense as well?

This was a … … … safe … … … update. :wink:

I am both pleased :blush: and disappointed :disappointed:

Lol

1 Like

I’m liking what I’m seeing so far, and now I can’t wait for the next preview. Appreciate the idea of a more skill based ranking system that makes you stop and think rather than mindlessly grinding.

Really curious what impact guild wars will have on defenses. Will it still be advantageous to run a one-unit defense (make yourself worth fewer points)? Or are we more likely to see nothing but cookie cutter / flavor of the month D teams?

1 Like

Agree but because you can do battles versus only one guild at the same time, it seems a not so useful information. In fact, I don’t see what it offers compare to “My Progress”… Aside you want to skip one War you will finish your attack and then go to another one with a new “My Progress” and in this case, you will never care so much of you total remaining attacks.
And it’s worst if you skip… Imagine you skip the War 1 without doing any battle so you will keep 5 “remaining attacks” for the whole week…

It’s just for you to simplify the UI :stuck_out_tongue: .

So if I understand well the Paragon of my guild at week X will have to choose the Paragon defense team for the week X+1?

A UI question - the first day in the given screenshot has a green check mark, then day two has both the check mark and the red x. Does that mean the first day, all battles were won, and the second day, some were won and some lost?

3 Likes

Great question; that’s my guess, too but I’d love to get confirmation. :slight_smile:

Edit: nevermind, I think @Patje376 is correct. :slight_smile:

Interesting point.
As a dev, I hate it when a solution to a problem creates new problems…

I think the solution should be to have 6 additionnal def slots.
It requires a rather big and probably not accounted for dev time, but I think it has its advantages and should be considered.

3 Likes

it’s not the first day but the first fight from the third day i suppose
you won that game against a soldier , then the second fight you loose against a vanguard and the third game you won against a vanguard :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ok, speculation here… BUT
Since Sirrian skipped SENTINELS and went straight to ATTACK let us deduce:

1. Last Week we were discussing number of attacks, frequency, etc. so the discussion and logical progression led to going to the ATTACK tab.

2. The ATTACK tab, though relative safe in content has already steered the conversation towards DEFENSE

3. Is it safe to assume that SENTINELS then is where you as a Guild set your GUILD defense teams for the week? This way there is a location for GW specific defense teams and place from which they will receive BUFFS per rank (Soldier, Vanguard, Herald, Champion, and Paragon).

I am no coder but it would seem this would be a safe way to prevent a Paragon’s GW buffed defense team from accidentally getting pulled for a non-GW PvP match?

AGAIN… TOTAL SPECULATION… but… :wink:

5 Likes

I like how it’s looking! :slight_smile:

I’m curious about one thing, though:

Why is the shield-and-lightning “number of battles” (hereinafter referred to as “NoB” for praticaly purposes) necessary? A few scenarios that made me wonder:

• If I can skip early to later wars, everytime I skip a war my NoB is reset anyway, so why not use just the 5 battle limit?
  • If I can’t skip early to fight on later wars, how is waiting a day to get +5 NoB different from waiting a day to move to the next war?

Having 7 NoB and the option to “skip” kinda hints to me that I can skip the current war to fight more on the next, or move back and forth between wars, which is NOT the case, I get it.

Wouldn’t it be easier to let go of NoB and just make each war unlock on a different day of the week? You don’t have NoB, but you have the “My Progress” bar and the Skip Button (which could be grayed out if next war is not yet available).

Maybe I’m missing something, but what started as a personal question turned out to be a suggestion for making the UI more simple.

Uh, yeah. About those fights left: Do the fights left unfought at the end of the entire week count against the guild in some way? Or, are they simply lost opportunities to have gained a higher guild score?

I ask because I can see people leaving a guild before week’s end (for whatever reason, personal issues, game burnout) or members opting out of Guild Wars entirely. Will the scoring be like the old standardised tests that counted blank responses against the person’s score (in this case the test-taker being the guild)? This type of scoring would make participating in Guild Wars mandatory, so the fights per member tally must take unplayed fights into consideration in some other way, I imagine (hope).

Apologies if this question has been addressed and is buried in one of the previous peeks. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m guessing that’s what the Sentinels tab is for.

3 Likes

Do Sentinels HAVE to partake in the guild wars if the guild decides to be a part of one? That may require restructuring of the ranks in some guilds as there may be a week or two where the guild wants to do a guild war, but not every sentinel can participate. Or can ONLY sentinels do the battling in guild wars, and then out of those sentinels they can decide if they’re actually going to participate?