Guild Wars - Sneak Peek I

The fact that if those people continue getting disappointed, they’re going to leave anyway, so they better do something to try to keep them around.

1 Like

Good point.

We are sticking around in spite of not being able to get the last couple mythics. There is no path to the mythics, thats the problem. Without a path, there is no hunt, no chase. A carefully introduced crafting system that allowed you to actually “chase” things but metered out in a way where you couldn’t just get a million miles ahead. Right now, many of us hoard and splurge to get things day one (or week one) because afterwards, you lose all agency AND it becomes several times harder to obtain the thing, be it mythics, new legendaries, or new kingdom troops. A carefully implemented crafting system (or even something simpler, like more targeted chests that aren’t week-dependent) would allow you to be behind the curve in terms of speed at obtaining a given thing, but still have relatively the same agency as someone able to frontload their resources on hundreds of RNG pulls. A goal to work for going forward from a new release, not reaching a given release and just hoping you have enough to shotgun your way into the next important drop.

This is also one of the main things that keeps me around. Boring troops for several weeks in a row and missing out on whatever mythic is introduced can often lead to me just “showing up” and going through the paces while waiting for something to happen. Missing a mythic also drastically reduces the amount of traitstones I need to farm, further pushing me toward the point where I can’t do anything to advance.

8 Likes

On the flipside, I managed to get Jotnar and have been farming a bit ever since, seeing that Arcane Bloods are the one trait stone I have zero of.

I don’t stick around to chase cards. I stick around despite being frustrated that I can’t complete my set. I still enjoy other aspects of the game like my guild and team building. The question is when will my frustration outweigh the parts of the game that I enjoy.

7 Likes

Infinite progression opportunities are very important for motivation. I love some of the ideas being presented here and just wanted to cross-post a couple of related ones:

2 Likes

For the record, I’m fully on board with a crafting system! And I hope it’s much more than just getting mythics. Just trying to think about it from their perspective and what the downsides might be. This strikes me very much as the same sort of conversations we’ve had previously regarding why they don’t let you easily target/craft arcanes yet it seems much more one-sided and I’m not sure why. I suspect it’s b/c the chase of the characters is what really motivates people (and thus why I worry/wonder what happens when that carrot is diminished).

1 Like

The chase needs to go on forever. That’s why hard scaling is so important.

2 Likes

If they keep releasing new ones, I don’t think the chase will be diminished at all.

To me, the crafting issue solves an issue affecting primarily the past but done right, gives even more reason to go forward.

There is the problem. That’s just not what I’ve been hearing from anyone. I’m sure it may be true for some people. But, that isn’t my motivation. It isn’t the motivation of the people that have been vocal about this issue on the forum either.

As the game stands, I have zero motivation to get the two base Mythics I’m missing. I just assumed I would never get them. However, the possibility of crafting gives me the hope that I could get them. That would give me something to work towards.

As for arcanes, crafting them would be nice. But, it isn’t necessary. There are viable paths to targeting arcanes in the game.

4 Likes

Not purporting to speak for Studs, but this is how I would define “the chase” - ongoing pursuit of goals that can be very challenging, but are still obtainable with sufficient effort.

2 Likes

There’s a chance those people could get the troops they need and walk away sure, but I think it isn’t going to be easy in any stretch of the imagination. You still have to put in hard work and time, but in the end it actually guarantees you something rather than rng. That’s important to some people, so it still gives the carrot on the stick effect, but the end result is better.

I just hope adding a crafting system doesn’t effect the drops from keys in a negative way. The crafting system would be best as an add-on. It shouldn’t take away from anything, it’s more or less just a “safety net” if you will from not being able to get a troop sooner.

So overall a happy customer is best customer, and it could prolong them quitting just as well.

3 Likes

I wonder how many souls an endgame person accumulates in a month.

My guild suggests 300 trophies, that would be 100 pvp fights. Lets double that, at 100 souls per win (assuming you’re in full farm mode), is 20000 souls/wk or about 80000 / month.

I get about 1800 gold keys, 900 commons 300 rares, that is 4500 + 3000 = 7500 / wk = 30000 / month

500ish glory keys? Works out to about 6000/wk = 24000 / month

Not sure on gem keys, event keys, or using acrued gems/gold on them, but lets call it another 20000 souls? That is a total of around 155,000 souls a month disenchanting everything without doing any explore farming.

If Mythics cost 250,000 souls to craft you couldn’t keep up without a LOT of extra effort, but it could let you target ones you want/need while trusting to the random draw for others. Which is why I don’t think such an idea is bad.

5 Likes

Wow! First let me say…
I HAVE MISSED THIS! :joy:
This is the forum community I know and love. A civil conversation. @Sirrian listening and dropping insight that gets us fired up! This is such a welcome sight from the slightly more negative forum we have had lately.

To the point at hand- I am an end gamer, and a completionist, yet I am still here NOT because of either of those things. I am here because of my guild, the relationships I have built both in game and here on the forums. In fact I have been feeling the tug to leave because of the lack of a “clear path” to finalize my set. I would be 100% happy knowing I may never be caught up if devs keep releasing new troops but knowing that I have a means to attain them no matter how slow and steady that pace may be!

This thread is freaking amazing!
Thank you to everybody who has contributed. And especially to @Sirrian for taking it seriously and hearing us. GoW rocks and this is why. Period! :wink:

14 Likes

Oh man I can’t wait. This sounds like a lot of fun.

I highly doubt souls would be the sole crafting material or at all. Too many players would be able to craft anything they wanted right out of the gate. Not to mention souls is not the answer for low/mid-level players. They already need every soul they get. So it’s either a mixture of something involving souls, or something new altogether.

I do appreciate your math though. That’s just my guess.

But do low/mid level players need to craft troops if it is meant for finishing up collections (primarily mythics)? I’d say for them either continue on the way it is, or perhaps the Kingdom Chests mentioned in the other thread (so they can target stuff like Valkyrie, Alchemist, and other useful low level troops).

As for end gamers, I’m sitting on just shy of 1,000,000 souls. At 250k each I still couldn’t make all the mythics I lack (Plague, Gard, Wulf, Aby, Pharo, and Jotnar).

2 Likes

No I don’t think they NEED to per-say, but of course they would want to. Everyone has troops they would like to target.

That’s a lot of souls, but I wish I could say that’s the most I’ve seen. Every month that goes by people just gain more and more. Also the second that Sirrian actually confirms crafting is coming and it only takes souls, people will specifically target them to save up even more.

So yeah, that wouldn’t be wise. If I was a betting man, I wouldn’t bet on just souls being the currency.

I think it might be a currency that no one has yet, thus no saving up. Everyone starts on a level playing field. Perhaps something like crafting tokens.

They did say that Guild Wars would offer something you couldn’t get anywhere else… sounds like an ideal source!

2 Likes

:smiley: Wouldn’t that be crazy if Sirrian was just stopping by to drop us a hint?

It would be a nice tie-in.

Also just saying Rasper, I’m honestly just guessing. How they plan to do it no one knows. We can only make guesses right?:slight_smile:

1 Like