Guild Wars, Point-Scoring for Battles, and You!

it was a meta team (psion/rag/fam/death), he got 1 rag cast so I cant have had that much more mana gained (unless drain removes his mana gained?). I didnt lose a single troop and the game was relatively fast but nothing out of the ordinary.

this new point system seems like it will heavily favor lucky boards and drops.

4 Likes

Is there ANY way to make people happy?

Pre-hiatus: GW scoring isnt fair and should be changed!

During hiatus: We miss GW brong it back now!

Post hiatus: GW scoring isnt exactly laid out to allow us to game it! GW should be removed now!

I just dont understand people…

14 Likes

How sure are you about that last result? According to theories so far, 2000 points was assumed to be max for a fight. 2500 is so much higher than average results, it’s either incorrect or a very big loophole in the scoring mechanism (e.g. mana drain counting against collected mana, possibly causing one scoring axis to spike).

1 Like

it’s not about gaming the system, imo. the idea behind the scoring is good, but the way it is implemented seems to favor luck rather than skill. that’s why people aren’t happy.

7 Likes

We know someone who scored 3000 for a battle, but still waiting on a screenshot.

1 Like

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

As for me, I think I’ve been very clear about what would please me, transparency.

That’s ok, I don’t understand gorillas :yum:

7 Likes

Let me help you out

You can never understand gorillas… We are an enigma :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

there has been reports of over 2000 already in this thread, and according to the scoring system posted in the OP, there isn’t any mention of a 2k point cap. if there was, the final score calculation would have been something along the lines of max(2000, FINAL_SCORE).

and i’m 100% sure the 2500 is correct, i played it not 2 hours ago.

1 Like

It doesnt seem that way to me… Ot seems to me that it rewards clever team building

Build a team that gets the most out of each of the criteria as you can.

The better team + the better player = better score

What is wrong with that?

4 Likes

That is probably because you throw in different opinions of different people in one pot as if they came from the same person.

4 Likes

I understand there are different opinions from different people and i never attributed all of them to any one person.

I am taking the prevailing opinion of the most vocal people in the community as a whole and while its true i am generalizing im not doing so unfairly

4 Likes

Okay, that’s pretty worrying then. Assuming the numbers contributed so far came from somewhat equally skilled players, a scoring system that allows such a big deviation from the mean average, for no apparent reasons, is very much broken. I really hope this actually a bug that will soon be identified and fixed. I couldn’t possibly picture an experienced game company intentionally making such a huge blunder.

1 Like

I just want to point out the obvious…

Why are we penalized by cleaning the board from 4- and 5-gem matches (speed bonus counts actions, not turns)?
I’m fine with being forced into exploding troops. I was fine with summoners. I’ll be fine with exploders. But why am I penalized for playing the game right ?

11 Likes

If there are bugs, they will certainly be difficult to identify as the new system is convoluted and opaque.

5 Likes

It’s supposed to balance out, you trade your speed bonus for a mana bonus, and possibly an associated damage and survival bonus. Since the scoring weights are secret, it’s currently unknown whether you actually suffer or benefit from such a move.

1 Like

That’s what I’m afraid of. It took several weeks of posting ridiculous bracket movement results until the system was “fixed” to represent something players understand. I’m quite disappointed we are seeing exactly the very same “feature” again, just a few weeks later, in all its bloody mess. Lessons learned: none. To their credit, the revised bracket movement system was well received.

5 Likes

As I think about it, the bonus for actions makes less sense. Let’s assume a “good” player can finish the opposing team in 20 actions. Then to be competitive with the other bonuses (troops of a color, damage, etc.) the bonus needs to be high enough that the ten remaining actions award equal amounts of percentage bonus:

10 turns*SPEED_BONUS/30 turn limit = MAX_COLOR_BONUS

Otherwise speed doesn’t award enough points to be favored over color. (Numbers may not be exact, of course.) But, let’s consider a team that lets the player win in two or three actions (not against tier 1 competition, but in the lower leagues it might just work):

Elspeth***
Bombot
Bombot
Mechanist Hero***

Suddenly, you’re getting a bonus for 27 extra actions, where 10 was the number chosen for balancing purposes. Your score would be astronomical, since there also wouldn’t be time for the AI to gather mana or do damage. (You lose points for surviving troops, but unless the devs have dialed up that bonus it’s still smaller than four troops of the right color.)

The speed bonus should probably operate on a window in actions: 20 actions or fewer gets full marks, up to 50 actions for no credit. This offers a buffer against pathological setups (hello, there, one-troop-defenses that somehow snuck past the “fix”!), while still rewarding speedy play.

Still think the game should not count 4- or 5-gem matches towards the action total. I’m quite okay with extra turns from spells adding one to the total.

1 Like

It’s been rushed back when it needed a good month off imo. I couldn’t believe it was only away for two weeks.

1 Like

We should give it a full week. see how things turn out at the end before going 100% full freak out mode

12 Likes

And miss out on all the drama? Nah, that’s not how internet forums work. :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes