Guild Wars Change Suggestions

This is where we disagree. I think it’s bad because it puts too much pressure to win. Because otherwise you’re letting your guild down and there’s no way to redeem yourself.
Making it more complex will only increase the pressure. And I don’t want that. At all.

I’ve thought of another change I’d like to see. Bracket rewards. If placing first or second in a bracket is going to move you up to a tougher bracket, then some rewards for winning your bracket are in order. Glory, gems, gold or even some keys or even a couple extra copies of the weekly reward troop would be a nice bonus for winning.

Also, some consolation prizes for the bracket losers would be fine too. A handful of keys would be just what a losing team could use to get the troops they need to do better the next time.

1 Like

If they would just implement a solution balance the troops that doesn’t depending on waiting 3-9 months for a patch every single time the vast majority of the GW agitation would dissipate.

Another good idea would be to have 5 battles instead of 6 and have the color not used as a wildcard like in poker so if green is the wildcard on red day he would count as red! On yellow day green would count as yellow! The wildcard color would change every week! This would also give guilds an extra day to get ready for next war if they have to drop a player or recruit or whatever and would help people that have a problem with not having a good enough team on certain color days!

The only pressure on the player is placed there by him/herself. Especially considering that the difference between winning or losing on any day or week is almost nothing in the current system. (unless you are in the top 2 brackets).

1 Like

this would also help to keep it weekly instead of bi-weekly!

Or why wait for the devs? How about if the game servers automatically update all the troop stats weekly based on how many times they are globally used on winning defense teams? The least used troops get their stats boosted the most. And overused troops get their stats reduced back to the baseline levels.

One thing people have neglected: Stop releasing dumb troops with worthless abilities every week. You know the meta so create some troops that help counter it. More troops with Cleanse for DM, more troops immune to Mana Drain, etc.

4 Likes

It changes A LOT! Every step up is a step up, and we, the folks from the lower brackets are celebrating it as much as anyone. Every step down is still a step down and it hits us hard.
And no, the pressure is not put by players upon themselves, the system creates it by its nature. Because your actions have consequences for other people, your friends.

1 Like

One other thing I think they should do is have rewards for guilds who are #1 (or even up to 3rd) in their rank for the week. Not as great as the Top 10 spots, but it’d be nice if there was a reward for finishing as high as you possibly could during a week that has already decided where you place. Something like 1st gets 10 extra troops, 25 gems, 5000 gold. It’d help lower level players and hey extra resources sound good. Its sort of like the PVP Tiers worthless to a majority of players, unless they want to breath GoW for a week to get anything worthwhile.

1 Like

missing those gems already! lol

Look the difference between winning and losing on any given day is an xp boost and a handful of seals. and the difference between rank 50 and rank 399 is only 50 gems, a few extra copies of the troop, and the amount of gold that can be gained in an hour of pvp. If you feel overly pressured to win when you don’t get anything different than some even more casual guild 100 or so ranks below you, that pressure is only coming from yourself.

3 Likes

I do believe you are right sir I personally would use this method more challenging

Defend teams should be changed to require using 24 different troops with no repeats.

So for example, no defend team would be able to use more than 1 of a specific troop, and troops used on a given day can’t be used on another day.

Day 1: Someone can go 4 different overpowered 50%.
Day 2: They can no longer do that, so they use something like Famine/Death
Day 3: They can no longer do either, so they choose some other team.
Day 4-6: These 3 would actually be fun and interesting to battle.

The 1-3 better defends would be set against the harder opponents, whereas the others would be used strategically on the other guilds; or the opposite can also be done.

This would give a level of strategy to setting a defend time aside from just copy/paste meta all 6 days.

All of this would only apply to the defend side of Guild Wars.

4 Likes

These are not conflicting suggestions. The first one is a suggestion to keeping to that days colors. If anything this may make some days harder based on what troops some may have for that color, and/or traits for them. Nor does requiring a team to be all of the same color hand either the player or the AI a win, as per being easy. So unsure how you felt they were conflicting.

Requiring defense teams to be of a proper color does not ensure a player or AI win. Nor enable it to be easy or hand over a win.

To say the below comments conflict I feel is a far stretch from their original mentions (especially given the aforementioned texts):

GW defense teams should be required to be that days color. And if they are not, inclusion into that color defense team should be prevented.

And lastly please do not over simplify GW or make it so easy that you basically hand people a win.

If really anything can be said here in relation to the two is that it may make GW for some teams much harder to build. Not impossible as planning and developing can still be done. Even farming to complete required troop traits. Though if you felt they conflicted because I stated requiring 1 unique troop per team (also part of the initial suggestions), and you associated that to easy, is really a stretch. And making 1 unique troop per team as a hard coded requirement will never make anything easier. Maybe make players use a bit more than 4 of the same troop, thinking and planning is a good thing. Maybe we differ still even with this reply.

P.S. You may interchange ‘1 unique troop per team’ with ‘a troop of that days color specifically’. To be in reference to singular inclusion or about color designation for the same effect.

The only problem with this is that it’s how we got troops like Spirit Fox. It was meant to be a direct counter to the Maw/Mercy meta that was prevalent at the time. Counters are good yes, but too many too often would probably cause a power creep that spirals out of control very very quickly.

3 Likes

With defensive troops like Cleanse and immune to Mana Drain?

The problem largely centers around Devour, Mana Drain, & Empowered, and to a lesser extent the AI. You either have to nerf these troops/systems or introduce more trooops that aren’t affected by these systems, to address the fundamental issues.

1 Like

I agree that those mechanics are an issue, but I was meaning more that it’s a fine line to walk to balance things. Introduce too many defensive counters and the mechanics become unused, too many active counters and we get power creep to counter the counters with counters. And a week isn’t really long enough to judge how effect a counter is (particularly if it comes out with a +25% event buff).

Another solution would be to revise the mechanics themselves, though the devs have said in the past they prefer counters to mechanics rather than nerfs to them. So the “dumb troops” every week act as a buffer to allow the more impactful troops time to affect the meta and the devs can see how the players use them before making a decision on what might need an effective counter next.

2 Likes

They need to plan troop releases 3 months in advance so console can get troops pre-loaded for each release. That doesn’t allow for quickly addressing a meta as it is emerging.

2 Likes

We do have troops planned well in advance, but our schedule does often encounter unforeseen changes. It is, unfortunately, not as simple as just having things planned in advance with the reality of game dev.

3 Likes