Guild Wars and sisters guilds

@Tranimo Apology accepted.

If you have some time please search for Sirrian and read some of his comments on any topic. That’s as official of “the of last word” in Gems as it gets. You can then see the direction of where he wants to take the game in the future as well as understand some of his reasoning behind the way things are in Gems.

3 Likes

My opening post was intended to ask for a clear answer from the dev about guild collaboration in GW.

I agree with you that every guild MUST work hard to beat better guilds than focusing on thinking about “grey” behavior used by rivals.

At the same time I think that asking for a clarification could bring every guild to a more satisfying competition.

Knowing what everyone can do and what is allowed, for me, is the base for choosing if take part or not in a game.

And I think that this answer can be useful not only for top guilds, but also for newer guilds, as in lower brackets such agreement can give greater advantages (for promotion/demotion)

Thanks all for your answers and sorry if my English is not so good

2 Likes

This seems like a bad idea and unfair, imo. What if I have my defense set and I don’t really like it and then I finally drop the last celestial I’m waiting on to full-trait a mythic? Or I set my defense team up for day 6 but on day 2 finish exploring for the needed arcanes to swap in a much more powerful contender? Sometimes I even change my defense team in the middle of the day because I roll a new troop and they will make the team stronger. Being locked out of my defense teams seems counter-intuitive for the topic being addressed in this thread. Just my two cents.

then you either set a unit that you plan on getting traits on time and risk it, or u keep old defense that worked before

either way you will know that everyone else will also be locked so it wont be unfair

the counterintuitive part i think depends on the person as to me keeping it editable is counterintuitive and opens cheating possibilities as well as limits possibilities for devs to give a “carrot” that would motivate players to set a "variety in the gw defense

example:
if thefense was locked then devs could reward setting certain defense types, as long as its editable they cant reward it as there is no clear way to when to give the reward or when to check if the requirements for the reward are given

The only thing im concerned about locking defense teams is small window to set it (only 1 day?) and the fact it auto-resets into your pvp defense (which could be as well bad idea)
but i think those arent unsolvable issues

Not to beat a dead horse again after circling around for the 4th time… but why not.

How advantageous this would be with your Hero class!!! Set your Hero as Death Knight, once its Locked change it to your preference and your Defend team can cause trouble all week long. Defiantly not what your intent was but still…

PS: the developers need to examine the entire structure of the Hero class (including but not limited to 1 Gem fine, and the Ineffective Classes need some tweaking)

3 Likes

i said teams are locked as in (team composition) not editable

didnt say troops will not update according to collection changes, that includes hero class
but im glad you are looking at the details :slight_smile:

that i agree

I would really like that for sure. There is a bug in mythic level points. There isn’t enough quality traits that would be real helpful and then you have the perks which - excuse me - just let them be on all the time

I think that locking the defense teams would be a bad idea.

I know that I have 20 team slots, and that (right now) 12 of them are occupied for Guild Wars; I have two Defense Teams I switch between for PvP; I have my Explore team to quickly clear what I need for Arcane stones. That leaves 5 slots for my various other teams (primarily PvP).

How about people who are just cracking 100? Assuming that they’ve got 6 team slots locked for defenses, what are they going to use otherwise?

Let’s not all assume everyone is level 200+ when we discuss this, please.

– Tranimo

1 Like

I did indeed wake up to all the pings!

The good news is I have an answer for you all regarding this issue.

Technically, guilds trying this aren’t doing that’s considered illegal in game. However, we have doubts over whether it’s really viable to organize entire guilds to do this.

Looking at the issue, I think we can all agree that this sort of approach isn’t in the spirit of Guild Wars. If we see it affecting results in any significant way we will implement some changes to punish this kind of behavior.

5 Likes

To paraphrase, technically it’s not against the rules, but if somebody does it successfully (meaning it affects the results), then they’ll be punished? That sounds like it’s against the rules, otherwise why punish them? Not trying to be a pain, but most of the posts are asking for a clear answer, and this response is anything but…

8 Likes

As Guild Wars is still very fresh we don’t know how this will affect guilds and their standings which is why we are taking this stance for time being.

As I said earlier, if this significantly alters the results of Guild Wars as a whole we will implement changes that stop this behavior.

1 Like

Big Mistake!
Thanks for telling us. Im thinking of quiting already. Im pretty much done…who cares.

1 Like

Wait, you dont know!!? If two guilds go together to set a lousy defense team, that is almost 190k points each. That is it to know! You should not allow pure cheat.

3 Likes

I’m not really sure what this means. I have no idea how likely this scenario is but it’s obvious you Devs are against it so why the wishy-washy response. Even if it’s a lot of hubbub over nothing, if it’s not something the Devs want players doing, then say so and make it “illegal”. All the current attitude is likely to do is upset players who think this will be yet another way they’ll get screwed out of rewards, even if that is unlikely.

Not the best tact, imho. shrug

5 Likes

Since I’m leaving the game anyway, I will just say this…

Already in the second week of Guild Wars, my guild (Black Dragon) was propositioned by another guild to do exactly what was stated in the OP. He wanted both our guilds to set 1-troop defenses so that both our guilds could rise up the ladder. Our guild isn’t a “sister” guild at all with this guild. I was stunned that someone would think this was ok. But there it is.

You can bet this person isn’t the only one to think of it. You can bet some desperate guild will take such an offer to rise up in the future.

Frankly, I thought GW would be the one place you could have some competitive fun without cheating that goes ignored. Clearly, it isn’t.

18 Likes

You might name the guild that proposed it to you. Since it is not considered illegal behaviour it would not be a callout, just some dropped information, that people might find useful in deciding whether or not to join that guild.

3 Likes

It’s definitely not good sportsmanship or competition, but unless the devs say it’s illegal then it’s not cheating, which actually makes it good strategy by the guild who suggested it to you. But that’s why a clear answer by the devs, and direction on how to deal with it and consequences, is so important.

Your example is a perfect one, and I’d like to know what @Saltypatra and the devs would say for that specific situation (since before they “weren’t sure what might happen”). Should you accept their proposition or report them (and if so how). What would the consequences for that player and/or guild be for suggesting it, and what would happen to you and/or them if you did it and somebody else reported it?

This is no longer just a wait and see hypothetical, and clearly afffects the integrity and strategy of GW going forward.

4 Likes

I don’t share this mindset. There was a time when communities dealt themselves with people or associations of people getting unfair advantages be it by illegal measures or by legal measures that clearly were against the spirit of competition.
They made them pariahs, disregarded their successes in competition and didn’t give them any reckognition at all for it.
It didn’t stop the kind of individuals who looked for and engaged in any way to cheat competitions, but it stopped other players from flocking into these players associations and becoming “unwilling” accomplices in these practices.

Anyways i am old, so is my mindset i guess, so forgive my ramblings.

8 Likes

No. I’m not going to follow up what I consider unethical behavior by doing something that would also be unethical. I only mentioned it in reply to Og to make the point that it isn’t just a hypothetical situation. It is already out there.

11 Likes