Gold limit revisited

First of all, I will give you some background.
I’m playing Gems since day one, so almost for 9 years. I’m not what you would call a normal player. I always loved grinding and gathering resources (packrat).
Since ages, I’m in Sons of Anarchy, one of the top Guilds when it comes to grinding and resource gathering.
Again, the hours I play every week are most likely way more than the typical Gems player, but in Anarchy I’m average at best.
Since Gems turned into a hobby, I can justify having Ring of Wonder always active and buying into Campaign and so on. This means I have a reasonably high VIP.
My father also plays, also in Anarchy. So we always have something to talk about.

In Anarchy, there is internal, friendly competition going on. We have a seperate brag channel where members claim extraordinary achievements. We have a channel with Anarchy’s records, both as a Guild, as individual records.
Like most trophies in a single day, most most gold donated in a week, most towers killed in an event. You get the idea.
We have a channel where every Mythic gets recorded, pulled by a member with LT’s. And so on.

Some numbers. Remember: these may seem high or impossible to you. But they are average in Anarchy.
I play around 10 hrs/day, exclusively for gold. I make 1 mil gold/hr. That’s 10 mil each day.
I donate 15 mil gold every week to the Guild. That leaves me with 55 mil gold every week that gets added to my stack (which will be 2.75 billion gold in a year)
Why don’t I spend all gold you may ask? Well, it’s for special occasions, like Christmas, or my birthday, or when the leadership asks for an extra effort, I’m a packrat, and so on.

Now there seems to be a maximum amount of gold that a player can have (2.1 billion). Going above that number, you are being “detected” as a cheater and get blocked from playing Gems.
Furthermore, if there’s a limit for gold, for sure there’s a limit for all other resources in the game, maybe less than the “gold cap”.
So I fear it’s only a matter of time before the system calls me a cheater.
After 9 years, being in a top Guild, endgamer, swimming in resources, hobby, spending so much money, having multiple kingdoms at level 30, …, what would be the reason or the trigger for me to suddenly start cheating?

There are certain Gold teams that enable fast matches, combined with high amounts of gold.
Depending on the weekly bonus, combined with extra Magic from Campaign and extra Magic for having Kingdoms at 30, it’s even faster to gather a high amount of gold.
Sometimes E9 will provide more gold/hr than E11-E12.

This weekend, Sheffield got banned, because he got too many points in Faction Event. I only know Sheffield by name.
He had his Hoard to level 1000 and bought many Tier 7. Effectively turning level 500 into a farm.
I wouldn’t recommend doing this. But hey, he can do and play whatever and however he wants, no?
When I see something like what Sheffield has done: my hat off. Lots of respect.
He obviously wanted to do something crazy, and he did. And he got falsly banned.
Your cheating detection system is way off, targeting the highly active players.

Our Guild leader got mistakenly triggered by the system as a cheater. Because he exceeded the ‘maximum amount of gold’ possible.
I am aware that the Devs will not discuss this on the forum, and the possibility this tread will get closed.
I kindly ask to manually check if he did anything wrong - and if not - restore his account.
Also, since he’s even more endgamer than me, invested money, very high level, and so on… why would he suddenly start cheating?

If our Guild leader remains banned for exceeding the gold limit, I have little options to fight you, other than hurt your wallets.

Kind regards.

15 Likes

It was at least nice seeing confirmation that this inherent limit is, in fact, on the developer’s to-do list:

Undoubtably, one of the reasons it is a high priority is that only high-spending players are likely to ever encounter it to begin with.

5 Likes

So the devs recognized the issue, one that has occurred before and not been fixed. That is good. Targeting the endgamers in GoW isn’t.

I’m not anywhere near that level. I can’t imagine doing that many trophies or collecting that much gold or, well, any resources. But I do remember not so long ago struggling with gold and diamonds and not even knowing why trophies were important. Now I’m with a guild that promotes all of that and I’ve advanced a lot as a player. I want to continue to advance. Those endgamers in my guild are my heroes.

If that’s my goal, the main reason I sink way too many hours into GoW and too much actual money, I shouldn’t be penalized for it. With what’s happened in the last week, it seems that the endgamers, or even those who just play a lot, are being told that’s not a good thing. It’s really a bad thing if you play too much or spend to much or hoard too much.

I have around 600K keys, which isn’t a lot for endgamers. The point is, there isn’t any reason to use them. I’m missing two troops and I’m going to have to wait on them until the kingdom comes to the event chest or they show up in the soul forge. So, unless a new mythic is released, there’s no reason for me to use the keys. They just set there and grown since I’m a member of a very active guild.

If I had the gems, I totally get buying up a hoard to 1000. I’d probably stop around 400-500, but I do see the point. Some of the delves are almost impossible to win unless the RNG gods smile of you or you buy a lot of potions and have an extremely high hoard or, I guess, maxed out on magic.

The point I’m making is this is supposed to be a fun game. We should all be able to play at our own pace. For some, that means accumulating a lot of resources and those people shouldn’t be penalized for their method of play. I get that hacking the game happens and you should try to stop it. Maybe one way would be to prevent newbies to the game from spending thousands of real dollars to get all the troops and resources that other players have actually worked for. If you’re not going to penalize the people who are level 100 and already have all the troops in the game, then you shouldn’t penalize the people who sink a lot of time into the game to earn the troops.

If you’re going to have limits, whether it’s through a decision or a programming factor, please let everyone know. Just put an error message into the game when players get close to the levels.

Thanks for reading through this rambling about my thoughts about the game.

5 Likes

The whole problem/situation is just sad if you’re affected and innocent.

So, why isn’t it top priority #1 to ensure noone got “locked out” wrongfully? What could be “more important” right now?

Funny thing though how this whole situation suddenly floods the forum with accounts posting that you normally don’t ever read anything of throughout several forum topics, while there’s smaller bugs all year long those accounts seemingly don’t care that much about.

Peanuts don’t count in the big boys league. Money, Money, yeah, yeah.

8 Likes

Wasn’t it still canon this time last year (until Krinkle), that there is no such thing as a “ban script” and every account lock gets “checked manually”?

I’m not even sure anymore, what counts as an official statement and how I would recognise it in comparison to staff just making things up to pacify the players.

5 Likes

To be clear, this appears to be an issue where the game can’t load properly due to a number overflow, not any sort of automated or manual account lock. That is, the game isn’t flagging the account and forcefully locking the player out, it’s simply unable to process the amount of gold due to it being over the integer limit.

I don’t know much about this stuff myself, just echoing what others have said here.

5 Likes

And it would be a huge step ahead, If everyone would take note of this and would always keep this in mind when discussing the issue. And with “everyone” I mean most notably the members of GoW support. If they would just realize this fact, we could hopefully get behind all the “we don’t discuss in public, so thread locked” behaviour and could start on working on a quick and simple solution for affected players.

And the most tiring fact about this whole tragedy: there IS a simple and quick solution and one support member should know, as this solution was already executed for another affected player a few months ago with the help of this support member, but he/she just seems to have forgotten or refuses to remember :frowning:

5 Likes

The accounts aren’t locked out due to a ban script, there isn’t any ban in place. The accounts are locked out because the client crashes when reading the player profile from the server.

4 Likes

Has this issue been resolved yet? Kindly provide an update.

2 Likes

No, this issue is still being ignored by the moderators at least. I don’t know if the developers are aware of the problem or not. This has been a problem for over 2 weeks and support is ignoring all requests for answers.

2 Likes

Kafka confirmed this is a known issue and a high priority item on their to-do list. While it’s safe to assume there is no trouble on the server side, it does still require a client update and all the lovely side effects those entail.

2 Likes

I think all games should use a 64 bit integer by default to allow up to either 9+ quintillion or 18+ quintillion, depending on if signed or unsigned. Either amount should be high enough to ensure no legit player would ever have to worry about hitting the limit and have problems as a result.

1 Like