Getting tired of Valkyrie

Do you have a favorite troop of just use winter wolf most of the time.

I agree.

I think it’s ridiculous that without a Valkyrie team I get 5-8 souls on average and with a Valkyrie team I can get 60 (PvP)…

That soul power should be taken away from Valkryie and given base. You should not feel obliged to use a certain troop in order to play the game in a time frame that won’t take years. You are extremely hindering yourself (if you care about kingdoms and troop leveling - which most players that aren’t maxed do).

So what, is this game play Valkyrie until your maxed and THEN experiment with all the variety of troops in the game?

That feels wrong and should be addressed.

The amount of souls given by Valkryie should be base. There is nothing special or hindering about running Valkyrie so I see no reason why this would be OP base. Like I can’t see any reasonable objections to it.

Personally I’d like it if her skill was tweaked to not give any souls and she was just a generator. Then she’s still useful for the blue teams you like but you aren’t forced to use her if you want to progress to in the game in a reasonable amount of time.

2 Likes

At your level just suck it up and keep using valk. The souls you will generate will really help in the long run. At this point I have maxed out all troops and 240k extra souls. I am level 1000.

So it might feel boring, but the more troops you max out, the more options you will have. Once you feel you have the troops maxed out that you want, switch off a valk team.

Valk is very powerful card souls or not.

I personally don’t use her much anymore and prefer a grand maw team, but valk is the most efficient way to level your troops.

In my eyes, nothing good can actually be accomplished by lowering Valkyrie’s soul gain, it doesn’t encourage using other troops to gain souls, I saw a few posts that suggested that people are forced to run Valkyrie and that she should give fewer souls in the same post… Valkyrie is very good in the teams that she’s played in and lowering the anount so souls she gives doesn’t make other troops more useful, the only way to do that would be to give other troop more reliable ways to gain souls

1 Like

That was a typo, so I guess the count has to be six teams not counting mab.

@Cell: consensus here seems to be that no single troop or small group of troops should be that required for reasonable soul generation, so the base souls for killing a troop should go up while valk should go down.

Also, thank you for proving that necromancer’s third trait works too, but don’t forget the 16 or so arcane spirit stones that requires to unlock.

@VegaDark541: I’m noton console so no tasks that entice me to build different teams.

@Rasper: Gaining souls based on actual rarity of the troop is a very neat idea.

@Lyya: I had the same experience when I unlocked Moloch’s third trait and was thinking of switching to a jarl/hellcat/alchemist/moloch team, but felt forced to park it due to no valkyrie.

1 Like

This is the same solution I’ve seen recommended before, and its the one I would also recommend. No reason to give other troops soul generation (which would still restrict you to a few troops) or nerf Valk down, just bring up non-Valk values up to around 40-60% of what they would be using a Valk for every other team in the game by mid-game, allowing Valk, or 2x necromancy without Valk casting, to take you all the way up to the cap, with 1x necromancy being significant boost by itself. There is pretty much no opportunity cost if any in terms of match speed for using a Valk anymore with plenty of powerful blue troops, and the match cap is still the cap, souls per match would still be less without Valk or stacked necromancy, and lower levels not fighting ascended troops would still be fairly slow on the gain to start off. Nothing economy breaking, because it wouldn’t actually be possible for anyone to gain souls any faster than they are currently, they’d just have more team for viable gains, and Valk would still give the best gain.

And yes, you’d still take twice as long to finish on needing souls not using a Valk or necromancy troop under that model, but it would have the added benefit of Necromancy being actually noticeable when not used with Valk. This is coming from someone who has just finally finished the climb past the soul wall and I’m finally comfortable regularly using non-valk teams. Twice as long is a huge step up from ten times as long, as you can still make measurable progress from just battle souls. Frequent income collects for tributes will fill a lot of your weekly requirement for new troops by the time you finishing 3 starring all kingdoms(with disenchants taking care of the rest, usually), but you need a ton of souls to get there in the first place, so I think this would help everyone ease the climb a bit by allowing more variety.

No possible good could come from nerfing Valk’s soul generation to any degree except to punish the people the currently are using her. The genie has been out of that bottle for far too long. Any sort of change that makes it take longer or less consistent to cap souls every single battle would simply slow down those that actually need to use her for generating souls (especially for lower levels and double especially for those not particularly liking treasure hunt and arena.)

2 Likes

Why double generation when you can just halve costs? Rather than pointlessly increasing soul generation on other troops to bring them up to Valkyrie’s level, making one of them still mandatory, why not decrease the number of souls required? Bring Valkyrie’s soul generation more in line with other methods of generating souls, then reduce the costs to level troops by a factor of 10. That would both make other soul generators more competitive with Valkyrie, and make them less necessary at all.

Bigger numbers are not better. They’re harder for the human mind to grasp, and, if they get big enough, difficult for computer as well. You eventually lose either processing speed or precision. The GoW servers run javascript, and you really don’t want to feed it big numbers.

1 Like
  • more souls from disenchanting
  • daily souls
    (- dailies (for souls))
  • more valk ‘clones’ (why not another divine for a different color, boosting a differente range of mobs: purple, green, …

If this thread turns into a “how to nerf Valkyrie” thread I feel that the devs should consider locking this. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Also, it’s not like Valkyrie is used exclusively for soul generation. She remains the best blue mana generator in the game. If they toned down the soul generation (while again bumping up the baseline to compensate), she’d still see as much active use as Hellcat and Alchemist and Green Seer (etc) for similar reasons.

For whatever reason the devs have made a rare troop the hands-down best troop at two different aspects of the game. I agree that at least an explanation would be nice after much silence on the subject.

@Sirrian, any light you can shed on this would be most welcome.

3 Likes

I’m finally approaching the point (lvl 800ish) where I don’t really need to harvest souls and it’s so liberating to actually play teams that don’t use Valkyrie. If I never have to hear that HAHAHA again I’ll be happy! However she’s still the best blue transformer in the game so several teams still need her sigh

EDIT: Maybe I’ll have to change my Title once I get out of the soul farming business :wink:

1 Like

Souls earned scaling with rarity of the killed troop really sounds good. We should earn more souls for killing plague, famine etc. Now a peasant is worth the same as them. .

4 Likes

Apologies for the thread necro, but I thought this was the best place to post this.

I dislike being forced to run Valkyrie in order to level up other troops and feel this is a serious problem.

Most of the issues are ones already mentioned.

1. As she must be included other red/yellow troops don’t get considered.
  2. Even worse she then forces you to run a blue troop than can use the mana generated.
  3. Together this really restricts what players can do with team building. For example I’d like to try various tribal teams but can’t because I have to include her plus a blue-troop.
  4. The playstyle is similar for all teams with her, as you use her ability in the same way every game.
  5. Often I make suboptimal plays to maximise use of her ability.

When I stop playing this game, I think it will have been earlier than if I didn’t have to use Valkyrie, because using the same troop in every team for tens of thousands of matches give the game far less variety.

3 Likes

I definitely feel this, and this reminded me of the days when I was either grinding Arena or grinding Valkyrie for Souls.

I think a great way to allievate this issue is to give the Hero’s Necormancer class a Necromancy Trait as well. This way, combined with its third trait, the much more versatile Hero can be a semi-sub for the Valkyrie.

It would also help if the amount of Soul gain from the third trait gets a little buff as well. I mean, I don’t see the point to be stingy here. There is a Soul cap per battle after all. Instead of forcing us to use Valkyrie, why not just force us to use the Hero instead. At least I think there would be less complaints in this respect.

5 Likes

I agree with this.

I have multiple teams that use valkyrie as well and it does get very repetitive. I can not even experiment as much as I want to because I need the souls to level my troops and I can really tell the difference when I try to switch. I like Valkyrie for what she can do but I hate that I’m forced to use her or grind for souls. I do use Keeper of souls and necro class but it still isn’t the same.

I would agree with buffing the necromancer class to make it a viable alternative to Valk. That would add a lot more versatility, and would be good encouragement to actually level/trait that class (currently it’s very low priority for both souls and traitstones, since it doesn’t contribute to kingdom level). I am a bit sick of her as well (I have her on almost every one of my non-pvp teams) but nobody’s forcing us to use her, it’s just clearly very efficient to do so. I’d guess only about 3% of the entire player base for the game has actually figured out that using her in your team is the best way to increase soul generation, so I doubt the devs have this issue particularly high up on their list.

1 Like

Would have been great if that new brown generator character created souls instead of gold

1 Like

Nah I just wanted to put in my 2 cents about being a bit bored with the soul farming side of things. :slight_smile: I definitely wouldn’t want her nerfed or anything. Might be nice to see a new troop that does something similar with her level of a soul accumulation just for some variety though.

oooo that would have been nice!

1 Like