Gems of War is coming to the Switch!

Hey team X, here’s the source code for GoW. Can you make it playable on the Switch? Cool. And done.
I know 505 used to be the dev support for PS4 and Xbox. But I think it all falls under IP2 now.

I can’t state enough how easy this will be to support. A Switch is just a powerful mobile tablet with motion controllers. Instead of running iOS or Android, it runs Nintendo. :person_shrugging:

To be fair…I’ve been saying it’s coming for months. Just no one listens to me. :roll_eyes::person_shrugging: Lol
(You and I both know that 4.3 is ready and just waiting to be pushed out.)

Not exactly a huge guess on my part.

I guess Google’s new platform is next. Lol

Hmmm this is good news. Well done to the devs and great to hear the game is successful…

My kids will want to start GoW again on their Switch… they’re both playing PuzzleQuest (downloaded for £5 on PS4 store) at the moment too… @Sirrian will be pleased :grinning:

5 Likes

This news of a Switch release makes me happy.

The unknown future of cross play for this game does not.

In short, i am very… conflicted.

Cross platform compatibility (outside of Steam/Mobile) has always been a rather firm “no”, I’m not expecting anything to change and I will be surprised if it does.

2 Likes

Nintendo Switch… oh, you mean the thing that I’ve been using as a coaster.

That’s kewl. And, I’m pretty sure that I have ample time to do a search on “how to remove water marks” before the official release date. :upside_down_face::grin:

I am happy to trade your coaster for one of mine. I’ll even pay for shipping!

1 Like

ngl if you walk into a thread about the Switch with “ha ha Nintendo consoles don’t got game” it reminds me of those few blessed Slashdot posters left who still say “Windows is great if you don’t mind blue screens every 10 minutes!”

It’s a really quick way to confirm:

• You’re so out of touch it’s questionable if you even own the thing you’re knocking
  • You only came inside the thread to try and restart the same damn console vs. console or PC war that everyone’s been tired of for more than a decade
  • Your opinions aren’t worth consideration
1 Like

Was a post deleted?

No, but you’re probably not reading far enough back. I didn’t bother with the direct post reply.

1 Like

And I didn’t bother scrolling up. Fair enough. Lol

I’m going to assume this is in response to my post. Some context, even though you asked for none:

I did not purchase the Nintendo Switch that I literally use to stabilize my beverages. My brother, who lives a few hours away, claims ownership, and he left it with me… so I can play the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection… well, just Ikari Warriors and Ikari Warriors II (two of my favorite arcade games).

There are a few other games on the system that my brother had downloaded, but being legally blind (I meet the federal threshold… 20/200 vision, severe retinal scarring, etc.) makes playing anything on the console unreasonably taxing. Connecting it to a larger display does helps some.

But, then, I do not have expendable income to lay out for a library of games on the thing, as my other health issues that require medications and supplies necessitate an outlay of $600/mo., and that’s discounted.

And, that’s why Gems of War is perfect for me. It occupies my leisure time at no real cost. I enjoy it on my Xbox One, up-close and on a large display, and I’ll have another way to enjoy it on the Switch upon official release… maybe, at the doctor’s office. :wink:

Not sure where you’re getting this “console war” vibe from my post. I do own quite a few platforms, classic and current, as video gaming has always been an interest of mine.

And, if I were healthier, I’m sure I’d enjoy it more.

You can be dismissive, though. No big. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it. When context matters, omitting it leads to misunderstanding.

You are arguing you meant to give the sense of, “I’m not excited about this because due to many factors I’m not physically able to use the Switch.”

It’s hard to get that sense out of, “I use it as a coaster, I guess I’ll have to remove the water marks.” The “because” part’s important to making it something interesting. Without it, it feels like the kind of old offhand joke that triggers longtime Nintendo fans. Guilty as charged.

But hey, you turned it into an opportunity, I like that. It’s the only thing that makes me feel a little guilty here.

I think your longer version’s a more interesting story! There was another member with a lot of vision problems not too long ago, and it was disappointing to see their suggestions for how the UI could assist them go completely ignored by devs. I like reading about app devs who try to facilitate users with disabilities, and I think more people should pay attention to the numbers they post. Most people who try even basic accommodations the first time are shocked by how many people turn them on. My memory’s a little hazy, but I want to say recently one dev I follow noticed double-digit % of his users have either large text or bold text enabled on their iOS devices.

Anyway, thanks for the little story. Sometimes it’s hard to tell there’s humans on the other end here.

Now just bring Gems of War to the Nintendo Ds, 3ds, and ect.

Not likely to happen for a myriad of reasons.

1. DS is a dead system, and the Unity engine GoW runs on doesn’t support it.
  2. I’m not sure if 3DS supports that Unity engine but it’s also a dead system.

There’s currently no viable non-mobile handheld system unless you count the Switch.

Yeah, this is totally my bad. My initial post does read that way, and it would be safe to interpret it as snide without any context.

And, you shouldn’t feel even the slightest bit of self-consciousness for your comments. Even with a vision impairment, I can totally “see” your point. :grin:

Also, many of us with some form of impairment (who wish to participate) learn to adapt. So, while it would be noble for the devs to accommodate even the few of us, I feel that it shouldn’t be made a priority when there are so many other issues to address. You’ve brought up a few, iirc. :wink:

Oh, and I wish I were Wargare, not human. :slightly_smiling_face:

Shhh. Just say you are. I’m a unicorn. What I say is real is real.

Until you say that nothing is real and blue-screen the universe.

I’m just disappointed I won’t get a Switch for the cost of shipping plus a $2 coaster from IKEA.

@Saltypatra Two questions about the Switch version that I haven’t seen answered anywhere yet.

1: Will we have at least a day’s notice before the official launch of the game? Currently it says approximately the 26th, but if that day changes will we have some way of knowing?

2: Does the Switch version have mouse and keyboard support while docked? The shop page only mentions the normal Switch compatibility stuff and touch screen support, but makes no mention of mouse and keyboard.

2 Likes