Gems of War GUI Pain Points

Yes, we do.

We don’t have the time to reply to every single post made on these forum, and nor should we. Many questions have been answered before, and sometimes when the answers aren’t what players want to hear, we get abused or sent hate mail. We reply to a fair amount, and do our best to do so, but it isn’t feasable, or reasonable to expect us to do this for everything.

We saw the feedback on the medal of Cedric, and agreed that it unbalanced the game, which is why it was changed. We may not always action your feedback in the way you want us too, but it doesn’t mean that we aren’t listening. We read your feedback, listen to requests, and act when we feel it will positively benefit Gems of War. Not everything proposed is possible, nor good for the long term health of the game. Many fixes proposed are also a lot more work to implement than players realise, and can’t be fit into our development schedule, even if they are good ideas. Running one poll on a forum isn’t indicative of our community as a whole, and in this case the most popular result was one that we didn’t feel fit into the spirit of how we wanted medals to be used in the game, and even if we thought it was a good solution to the problem, would have taken a chunk of time from our development schedule.

We value the feedback that players offer us, which is why we collate it and have an internal quality of life suggestion board that we look into whenever we have the time.

The stream is available to watch after the fact, as it is always highlighted. Forumers typically write a transcript of everything that is mentioned on top of that, for those that don’t want to watch the stream back, you are correct. Even if this wasn’t done, you can access our Developer Q & As at any time on our Twitch channel, as they are saved content that can be consumed whenever is most convenient to the viewer.

The truth is if we didn’t care, we wouldn’t collate feedback or have Q & As.

In regards to more of the earlier issues pointed out, I have added more issues to be reviewed to our QoL board. These include the suggestions about chat and the settings/battle info button.

10 Likes

If you actually tested the medals you should have realized after a few hours or at the very most a week that they unbalanced the game and changed them before showing them off on stream and especially before people like me wasted hours doing something I hated to get these medals that would make the rest of the game more enjoyable. There is no way in hell I would have wasted as much time as I did for the medals in their current state.

How are we meant questions though? the only devs that are actually active anymore is Kafka that mainly deals with bug related stuff and you.

4 Likes

Hi @Saltypatra,

Thanks for reading, and for your reply. I totally agree that there’s a lot there, and that it will take time to process.

Unfortunately, the new Explore stuff is intricately linked together, so any solutions also have to work together. There didn’t seem any easy way to break it up more than I did.

Most of the other points are completely stand-alone, in their own sections. The overview at the top puts all the specific suggestions for changes in one place, though I don’t personally feel that’s as useful as it might first appear.

I know that you prefer one-line bullet points. But there’s no way to explain the reasons for things in that context. And the reasons are what determine the priority, as well as guiding the specific solutions to best choose.

As far as my opinion on what to prioritise, as I said, they’re in rough order of priority in each of the three sections. But we’re talking pain points here, so the longer they’re left unaddressed, the more pain is caused.

In short, with only a couple of exceptions (eg: the emojis, which were thrown in frivolously), all of the issues I’ve identified are a high priority.

Sincerely,

— Starlite

PS: Despite the length of the post, I’m getting heaps of support and encouragement from a surprising number of people who actually have taken then teim to at least skim what I wrote.

30 Likes

:clinking_glasses:

4 Likes

Starlite

i’m so honored to have you as a part of our community & so should the devs be if they still are passionate about their game & do play their own game without boredome & only money on their minds.

if you as part of the community(player base that also codes?) comes up with so much good help! for the devs & devs say its too much… then they need to hire or adapt or see their game die…in the long run…or they can have a delusion that its ok a few whales will still pay us.

i live in a hellhole(Iran) that in 2019 has the most broken economy(hyper-inflation) & have been sanctioned to oblivion thanks to horrible government & the rest of the world who want to ransack it…
we have no international banks & its super expensive to even buy 2$ flash sales… but i’ve been considering really hard to find a way to buy… cus the game is a rly great mobile game…& the flash sales are one of the only real money worthy purchases … to get me playing more…&… help devs
why did i type 10 paragraphs to portray this?
cus i care about the game enough to put in time to sign up on forums & do a small comment compared to yours…
80% of player base wont even bother…& they will have less than 100hours in the game.

if you can put this much time in a write up for free…they can & must read all & digest no matter how long it takes…cus even emoji parts that his down valuing have a great value… that will keep people wanting to chat in game…

sadly most devs dont play their own games enough.

have a good one you all.

17 Likes

@Saltypatra
Thanks for being involved in this thread - I acknowledge its a really tough one

Blockquote
Unfortunately, it is also too long. By presenting feedback in this way, it is overwhelming and doesn’t adequately highlight what you feel are the most valuable, key issues that we should consider working on.

I’ve suggested this before - but here it is again
PLEASE provide a template for how you would like feedback to be provided

9 Likes

Seems to me that the post was very well presented and if Salty was really interested then this post would be saved / copied into another format and on a devs desk first thing Monday morning for a group review and a hearty thank you would be in the mail for Starlite.

5 Likes

Kafka has already said that they have copied it and going through it, but that it was 37 pages and ~42,000 characters I think Starlite said.

1 Like

Where do we find these secret groups where Kafka et al provide updates that we’re unaware of here in Forums? :sweat_smile::pray::vulcan_salute:

1 Like

The chat in game lol

1 Like

That thing with hundreds of channels? :man_facepalming::stuck_out_tongue::vulcan_salute:

1 Like

The devs are generally on channel 1. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I do not believe (it was a lot of text…) that the kingdom challenges next battle annoyance was mentioned.

Each of the 10 levels has 7 challenges and when you complete 1 of the 7 you are always sent back to first position. When you complete one it should be grayed out and your cursor should be on one not yet completed essentially removing many clicks from every level of every challenge of every kingdom. (especially when using a controller on switch or other platform…)

6 Likes

This was fixed (at least on console) with the last update. Always takes me to the first available challenge now :+1:

1 Like

Not sure if this was mentioned but please get rid of the popup for quitting an explore run. I’ve hit okay on that accidentally more times than I’d like to admit. There’s gotta be a better way to abandon a run without an annoying popup.

3 Likes

I brought this up in my own breakdown of the interface.

Changing difficultly ends the run. If done while on battle 0/4, no popup, otherwise, popup asking if you want to abandon to change difficulty. Difficultly selection is always available instead of being greyed out when the run starts. No compulsory need to reselect difficulty every single run if it is intended to be the same. Simple.

This way, you only get the popup if you want to abandon the run or you accidentally select a new difficulty in the middle of a run, both which would be rare. And you could abandon at any time, including on the mythic boss so you could choose to do a new run if that boss wasn’t high enough for your tastes, instead of the silly “spend mythstones elsewhere, come back with less than 100, click the boss and get a prompt to abandon”.

4 Likes

A community member came to you with a large array of things making them upset. You are in charge of leading a community that has a strong sense of “the devs don’t listen”. Whatever possessed you to think, “lol TLDR” was a good response in that circumstance, shed it.

A community is built on trust. You just responded to one of the strong members of your community by outright dismissing a post they spent a long time on. Thanks for indirectly making me feel like garbage and like any feedback I post is subject to ridicule. Feedback noted.

1. Write it on a piece of paper.
  2. Wad it up and throw it in the garbage.
  3. Stop wasting Salty’s time. She’s got better things to do than address your feedback. It’s not like it’s her job or something.
17 Likes

“Thanks for the feedback, but it’s too descriptive.”

8 Likes

Yeah I honestly couldn’t think of an appropriate response to that initial post without breaking forum rules (read: I was livid). Someone works that hard to make things easier for the devs to figure out since simple stuff like “this is bad make it better” gets no response to speak of and … ugh. I’ve got my share of wall-of-text posts that I feel I should just shelve at this point.

Well what are we supposed to do? We’ve tried basically every kind of feedback and very little of it seems to have a serious impact unless its for something blindingly obvious like 40% Cedric Medals just now.

I’ve given a few points I don’t know how many times … not even going to try to explain why this doesn’t help. It isn’t my job!

11 Likes

Somebody up the ladder should surely be concerned when the players are more dedicated to the game’s quality than those employed to look after the players and the game’s quality (insert QA fiasco of choice here).

When they start claiming that it’s not reasonable to give even the minimum feedback on the handful of new daily posts with comments/suggestions, it becomes apparent that there is little overlap between the Devs we have, the Devs we want, and the Devs we need.

As an ex LGoH player, I can attest that things could be much worse. Not sure that’s a valid excuse though.

:sweat_smile::thinking::vulcan_salute:

4 Likes