Fun Skyrim Playthrough Ideas?

Yeah, I recall that picture! I also recall being jealous about it. HAHA!

Let me know if you get any details or news on the game that’s different from what’s currently being advertised.

Sure. Maybe we should create a new off topic thread :yum:

1 Like

The first :joy:…a simple and overpowered built.

1 Like

Honestly, the most overpowered to simple ratio is sort of dependent on your preferred play-style. If you’re used to skulking around sneaking all over the place, then it’s NOTHING for you to take 10 more minutes to clear a cave with a stealthy bow approach as opposed to sword and shield or magic playing. But, if you’re used to just running up with a Warhammer and giving bandits plastic surgery, then that might be FAR too tedious of a way to play for you.

The most simple style is going to be a melee build, and even that can be a bit dependent on your preference. If your first instinct is to press LT to block when an enemy approaches, pick up a sword and shield and you’re good to go (remember that swords are faster but weakest, axes are middle of both, and maces are strongest but slowest).

If your first instinct is to tank a hit with lots of heavy armor, dawn your heaviest metal, and test your mettle with a two-handed weapon. This is probably the MOST simple build, as you don’t really block, and you put almost all your points into health and stamina (maybe a 60:40 split for more tankiness, and a 40:60 split if you’re a bit of a Kleptomaniac like myself and love to hoard tons of loot). You can also do light armor with this build and take a more Barbaric approach.

There’s also another arguably MORE simple build, but it’s mainly early on, as the means to keep it efficient later on get complicate. Unarmed, heavy armored, Khajiit. There’s a perk in heavy armor that gives a boost to unarmed damage based on the Armor Rating of your heavy gaunlets (so this can be strengthened by improving your gear through smithing and leveling Heavy Armor), and Khajiits have a +12 damage boost to unarmed strikes (though the game states it is a +15 boost, it is actually a +12 boost). You can then go grab the Gauntlets of the Pugilist from the blind brawler in the Ratways in Riften, which add another +10 to unarmed damage, but they are light armor, so you’ll have to disenchant them to add the enchantment to other pieces of gear. With this build, you just get your heaviest armor and don’t worry about weapons or anything, however, the damage drops in effectiveness as the game progresses unless you upkeep it with enchantment/alchemy tricks.

It’s also argued that PURE destruction magic is one of the most simple/overpowered builds. Pick an arcane field (Ice, Fire, Lightning - I prefer Lightning because it is the most accurate AND drains the mana from other spellcasters, but Fire damage is the most powerful. Ice damage slows the target and drains their stamina though, which is effective against melee enemies.) Once you decide which field to take, pick the perk that lets you combine same spells (i believe it’s dual casting or something), and spam the same spell over and over. Very simple, INSANELY effective.

You can throw in some Restoration magic to any of these builds as well.

What’s you’re favorite play-style or weapons?

Usually, enter a room, destroy everything, collect rewards :joy:

2 Likes

Then I’d go dual casting fire mage. Early on, your enchanting will be weak, so I’d wear a mage robe and Hood with heavy gauntlets and boots. Eventually, once you get your enchanting high enough, you can go full heavy armor with spell casting enchantments.

If I were you, I’d only do about 200 mana, then the rest endurance, maybe 150 health. With an expert level wizard robe and Hood of destruction, you’ll have plenty of Mana, and you can buy those from the destruction scholar at the college of winterhold. It would also be good to keep an eye out for a ring and necklace that boost Mana.

If that’s not your style, just go full endurance, full heavy and head to Markarth. Find the acolyte of stendarr standing in front of the abandoned house and complete that mission. You’ve now got the strongest mace in the game. Pick up a shield and your good to go.

'Nuf Said

1 Like

I play on PS3, does this build need mods?

Hmm. Yeah it does run with mods. Not too sure how it would go in vanilla.

Edit: My normal playstyle is sneak/illusion/alchemy/archer.

My initial playthrough, way back when, was that type of build. Big spike damage from bow and dagger sneak attacks and frenzy and invisibility for escape and crowd control. Also, pickpocket to silently poison folks, just like placing grenades in Fallout :rofl: Downside, It sucked hard against dragons but smashed everything else.

I’ve always found though the simple sword’n’board to be the best all rounder. I’ve currently got a ‘Crusader’ Dawnguard Member save which is turning out to be pretty good against all enemies whilst anhililating undead. Though am using mod to allow Sun damage to hurt normal enemies and do 2x damage against undead, purely so I don’t have to run Restoration and Destruction spells in conjunction with 1h/2h.

1 Like

I don’t use mods. :relaxed:

Pretty sure this one uses no mods.

I think builds like this one are suited for most encounters across Skyrim.

1 Like

Just reviving this thread to list a few playthroughs I’ve tried also:

Restoration and conjuration mage - Always using dead bodies and followers to fight for me while healing them

Heavy armor and block nord - No weapons allowed, only shield bash enemies which is a very slow start but a good follower helps and then top of the block tree makes medium level enemies much easier

Illusion, pickpocket and alchemy - Khajiit that uses calm to make all enemies turn the other way and then reverse pickpocket poison and paralysis on to required kills (or frenzy if I run out of damaging potions)

I found them all challenging and very fun to play at the same time!

I’ve found a Disease/Plague paladin pretty awesome with Ordinator mod.

Sword and Board
Restoration for healing and disease spells.

Cast plagues first on an enemy and watch them die to the DoT whilst you turtle behind your shield. Then Necroplague their body and watch it infect the rest of the baddies around. All the while shield bash folks around and dicing them up with a long sword, War Axe or Mace.

Fun Stuff.

If you haven’t done the main storyline, you’ll be surprised when you complete all the the storyline quests. You’ll find awesome things you never knew were in the game because they were designed and polished for the main questline and digressing will not trigger those amazing things. It’ll be like a new game, to some degree.

Choices in the main quest can also cause it to unfold differently.

2 Likes

FYI people are still modding Morrowind, you should grab you a copy and check it out, it looks really good for how old it is