Frozen: what was all that fuss about?

Like I could prevent random cascades from happening when I’m transforming all gems on the board every turn !
And during those 3-4 idle turn, my troops take a beating !

As for your edit, I wasn’t the one coming with the title of your post. You asked what was the fuss about, well, it was “speculation has to what might have been a huge problem or might have been a minor inconvenience”…

1 Like

I wasn’t referring to whether we were a majority or minority as that really isn’t relevant. I was referring to the oft repeated statement that somehow the devs “caved” to some kind of minority. That simply isn’t true, and frankly is vastly unfair to the devs. They listened to their players (all of them not just the majority or the minority) and retested. They saw potential for problems and they mitigated them. Even they said they didn’t see the problems we were mostly concerned about, but they saw the potential. Getting in front of potential problems is to be commended not ridiculed. If their tests showed no potential issues I am 100% confident they would not have changed the ability. That isn’t caving, that is being an open and caring developer, something that continually impresses me about this team, even while I disagree with them.

-Razlath

I met a party with bone dragon in 1st slot full trait, wasn’t happy about it. Once those traitstones get into glory pack we may see a proliferation.

I only ended up fussing about barrier, not frozen. Regardless, I think both are actually perfectly balanced as is. What the game needs is a legendary troop that freezes a random enemy on 4 or 5 gem matches like fire on Jarl or poison on Venoxia.

In all fairness though it is hard to make a defence team you would be happy about unless it is set up to fail at defending as hard as possible :wink:

With all due respect, then your team is setup terribly, or you don’t adapt to the situations.
I play a classic transformer setup with a Stoneskin troop in first spot, and a traited out BD in front doesn’t do anything you describe to me.
The first time i encountered it, i didn’t even realize the trait and was startled when my troop was suddenly frozen and two of my three transform colours were locked after a Skull match i made with the lead. I finished of the Bone dragon on the next turn with a spell and continued filling the remaining frozen turns with skulls a transformation of the remaining unlocked colour and secure 3-matches and looped the rest of the game after frozen wore off.

Still i fear the Bone Dragons actual spell much more than its legendary perk, and a Bone dragon in first spot, just makes it so much easier to dispatch of him before he can fill up.

But more importantly: you judge the power of frozen solely on its version of the legendary Bone Dragon trait.
That is as if i would judge barriers power solely by Celestasias legendary trait. It is a huge fallacy.

What is with frozen on the Frost giant, do you have any problem with that? Didn’t think so.

1 Like

i find it worse than the bone dragon. the bone dragon is still relatively rare (as in getting the trait stones for it are a big pain in the … tush. ) was attacking a giant team… wow. i actually crashed on purpose for that one.

[quote=“Razlath, post:22, topic:4703”]
They listened to their players (all of them not just the majority or the minority) and retested.[/quote]

I’m not sure how you can state this. Apparently there’s “substantially over 20K” active players pre-1.0.9 and here on the forums, there’s maybe like 100? By all accounts that’s a minority. I didn’t count how many people contributed to the first Frozen thread but it’s even smaller than that.

Sirrian never said he saw potential for problems. He saw there was room for improvements and thus the rework but for the original version, [quote=Sirrian]mechanically it DID work quite well and was both easy to explain and understand. We tried countless teams, with combinations and duplicates of troops wielding Frozen, and it never felt like we were ever against anything game-breaking.[/quote]

2 Likes

As I said back then, the devs said it worked pretty well in practice and I think we should’ve done the wait and see. It certainly doesn’t seem that great right now, but I get the “logically inconsistent” argument though.

I guess the really telling case will be when we can see what happens when it hits multiple units or can be triggered more frequently/reliably as part of a good comp. I can see it being really strong in that situation and maybe something that shouldn’t be widely available (by buffing it across the board).

To me frozen works well on teams that benefit from a common color such as knights(blue) daemon(purple) or wildfolk(red). There are not that many teams in pvp that share a common colour spread and some teams have one of each color or there are missing colors. Against my serpent/valk team frozen is mega effective do to being common red and common blue. Frozen also works well against worms being mono brown. It by no means is super effective against everything and if you gain an extra turn on a color that is frozen then it is a bug that should be dealt with. Lets say my serpent is frozen and i use my valk to match blue, should i get an extra turn from blue? no. i should not gain an extra turn but if i do then frozen is not working on my serpent and it should be reported even though i benefit from it.

Now i don’t want to disregard your experiences with it, but are you sure it was the Frost giant that made you crash the game?

In all honesty i haven’t met many Frost Giants since the patch, just three times i can think off(in more than 500 battles) so my experience with it isn’t really saying much.
That being said, once i just killed the Frost Giant before he was loaded, as they are relatively squishy, and the other times the Frost Giant just froze one or two random troops which posed nothing more than a mild inconvenience. The Frost Giants damage while being quite efficient isn’t very strong on average and neither are his stats. He is mediocre through and through and the chances of his frozen hitting a crucial troop is low but of course it can happen. But still even if he hits a crucial troop i don’t see it having a huge impact, even with a transformer team, which are arguably the most vulnerable to this effect.

I run a frost giant in my defense :wink:

I used to too.
Now with the increased reward for revenge battles i consider putting him back in my defence again :wink:

Lets talk about status effects:
In the game these are the amount of times each effect shows up (on a troop, i didnt go through weapons)

Burn 7 Via Traitstone 6 Immune 8
Poison 8 Via Traitstone 7 Immune 17
H Mark 2 Via Traitstone 0 Immune 6
D Mark 1 Via Traitstone 2 Immune 2
Frozen 2 Via Traitstone 2 Immune 1
Entangle 5 Via Traitstone 0 Immune 6
Disease 1 Via Traitstone 0 Immune 0
Silence 2 Via Traitstone 0 Immune 13

By far the most represented are burn and poison. The LEAST are pretty much all the rest.

I have been saying for a long time that things like Hunters mark need to be on more troops. It is almost pointless for them to exist because they are so rare that they may have not even been programmed in. Hunter’s mark in particular is ridiculous as out of the TWO troops that apply it, one does so RANDOMLY so it offers such little incentive to be used that it’s almost a negative. The other is a legendary.

There are 28 troops that cause status effects as their main power, and 17 that do it from a TS. A pretty small amount of the total troops available.

I totally think frozen could have been left the way it was originally designed, then it might actually get USE.

I think that more troops should do more status effects also! Heck there are two troops with the name “Hunter” in them that dont apply hunters mark!

The 2 troops that can apply Hunter’s mark can choose any target. There are 2 other troops that can apply any effect in the game if that is what you are referring to as random.

Not quite sure what you consider a traditional transformer team since it sounds like you have quite a bit of direct damage. Most “traditional” (whatever that means) transformer teams I have seen around here have each troop doing transformation and those transformations feeding into each other creating a near endless loop. That setup is entirely dependent on 4/5 of kinds chaining into favorable board conditions for more 4/5 of a kinds. Also not quite sure how you had a spell charged that could kill a 40+ health bone dragon in the first couple of turns. Because quite often I have a skull match available on the first or second turn which if taken will cause the frozen effect and if not take allows a 15+ damage attack to land square on the slime that fronts my troops.

My setup is Slime, Valkyrie, Sheggra, Banshee. A slight variation on one of the most common transform teams I have seen on these forums pretty much since slime dropped. Generally Valk charges first, charging slime, charging banshee, charging Valk with spillover to sheggra. At this point I rarely give up a turn again. Extra turns bounce between valk, slime, and banshee until sheggra is full. Sheggra’s cast generally resets most of the board (since it is usually largely red by this point) killing the first troop and possibly the second (since the second tends to take most of the banshee damage in prep). With frozen hitting the first troop it shuts down skulls, blue, and green. So it takes too long charging the slime and I can’t get things moving. Even if I get sheggra charged I can’t cast her because I will just leave tons of followup skulls for the comp. I can’t just “not hit the bone dragon” because if I don’t I leave it the skulls and it starts killing troops fast.

So you need a third option to your statement. Frozen does exactly what it is supposed to do and it does it with good effect. It destroys pure transformer based teams and the very premise they are built on. If they hit the wrong mob on a transformer light team that isn’t already charged they could easily do the same. Clearly if you are lucky enough to have a fully charged 20+ nuke floating around (assuming your initial attack did about 20 damage) then it won’t matter much to you. I would point out though that if you are charged that well pretty much no status ailment is going to matter to you. But in situations where the skulls come very early in the game (hardly uncommon) you are left with an impossible choice. Let a bone dragon destroy your troops or take the frozen effect and stand by helplessly while the opponents team executes whatever premise it was built on. The fact that choice exists is a dramatic effect on the game and proof of what frozen does.

Now is it relatively avoidable? Sure in the same way that goblins are avoidable, silence is avoidable, and legendary dragon teams are avoidable if you want to. Pay your 50g and scout the enemy. Don’t bring your transformation heavy team into the battle against a front line bone dragon, or have the game choose a new opponent. But the fact that you need to do so is pretty much the definition of having a major impact on the game and thus what all the fuss was about. After all this is the decreased effectiveness version and it still has quite a bit of teeth.

-Razlath

I use Trinity, the most classic transform there is, Alchemist, Valkyrie and Banshee, and lead it with a Coronet Knight. Banshee now kills a Bone dragon in three activations, something that happens more often than not in one chain of turns when all is flowing well.

If Coronet used his spell, or did Skull matches beforehand, which is the premise on the whole bone dragon’s trait frozen is super strong argument, Banshee needs just one or two activations to kill off the BD and keeps the turn while doing it.
Banshee hits for 20-30 targeted damage now, which is a ton considering it also keeps the turn.

Bone dragons attack value is low-mediocre, no real harm done in letting him eat some Skulls so you can collect mana, esp. with a Stoneskin lead.

My transform team is not at all destroyed by frozen, and much less so by a BD in first Spot.
Between Coronet and Banshee I bring heavy spells and solid defence to outlast some basic 3-match exchanges while frozen is active, but generally by letting the Ai take 3-skulls while i load up on mana a first spot BD is often dead before i even consider skull-attacking him unless i just yolo it and attack right away cause there is no huge threat(or i’m drunk and lucky).

And again you are judging frozen solely by the very most powerful version of the effect currently in the game! BDs legendary trait.
The basic frozen effect is much less effective and there is a reason why Frost Giant and Ice Witch are an absolute rarity in teams right now.

2 Likes

I haven’t seem the Death Mark effect once!

I have seem once. after 2nd turn the spell killed one of my troop.

+10 Immune to all, thanks to Impervious troops. (Also the precise amounts are a bit off, considering Disease should actually be 2, but otherwise good list.)

I’m indifferent towards Frozen, it’s effects, or what could’ve been. All I can say is that because of the fact I lead with an Impervious troop in my primary team, I couldn’t care less how many times I smack around a traited Bone Dragon.

Seriously, everyone should try Impervious out at least once for a lead, it’s amazing.
Want Stoneskin? Lead with Golem!
Want a damage dealer? Go Carnex!
Hate being hit? Swamplash has got you covered!
And my personal fav. If you like a healthy line-up, Herdmaster can leave those troubles behind!
Even Behemoth, Dryad, and Tau are all options!

Simply put, if you have any fear of status effects, either pack on a cleanse troop or go Impervious. Those fears will just :cloud:poof:cloud: vanish!

1 Like