Friday support

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG*
The noise just wouldn’t stop. Sparkgrinder had been ignoring it for days now, to no avail. You’d think that people would take a locked door as a hint.
*BANG* *BANG* *BANGBANGBANG*
“Oy, I be a working 'ere, what be all them bloody banging?”
He continued to delicately tap a spinning gadget in a complicated looking contraption with his wrench, biting his lower lip in an attempt at concentration.
“The Sungazer…” a voice muffled by the door started, just to get cut short.
*BOOM* *WHEEEEEEE*
Sparkgrinder ducked just in time as a twisted chunk of metal whizzed through the space his head had occupied just mere moments ago.
“Blimey, now ye done it, there goes me last glinkspoozle!”
He stared at the smoking hole in his newest would-be masterpiece. A gronkspoozle might do the trick as replacement, after some concussive calibration. It’s not like someone would notice the difference.
The door interrupted his design process once more.
“The Sungazer you invented, it’s not working!”
As far as doors go, Sparkgrinder found his personal feelings for this one moving from annoyed to clear dislike fast.
“Eh? Slapped in them parts meself, it cannae have failed! Bugger off, laddie!”
The door didn’t give up.
“It’s not dimming the sunlight, it’s intensifying it! People are going blind, and not just by looking at the price tag!”
Sparkgrinder recalled faintly it had been close to the weekend. He might have been working upside down, or entirely off the floor, considering the amount of beer that had been involved.
“Ah, laddie, them be mere birthing woes, betcha it will be okay after a wee patching up.”
The door would have none of it.
“But the solar eclipse was only this weekend, the next one is still years away!”
“Aye, praise Stonehammer, then there’ll be plenny a time to fix it!”.

To get to the point, Dragon Tales wasn’t just an event weapon, it was *the* event weapon for Boss Raid last weekend. Highly useful, a huge help for those participating, especially those with lower levels. Or at least it would have been highly useful and a huge help if it had been working as advertised. As it turned out it was just a fancy paperweight, or rather an expensive fancy paperweight positioned prominently at shop tier 3.

Sure, the fancy paperweight is going to be fixed, after the event. It will then turn from a fancy paperweight into a highly specialized weapon not remotely useful for anything but the next Boss Raid event taking place in Dragon’s Claw. Which is in roughly 3 years, considering that Boss Raid happens about every 5 weeks and has 34 kingdoms to rotate through.

I imagine the exit door is a high danger area within your office space, seeing how everybody apparently brute forces their way through as soon as somebody hits the “deploy weekend content” button on Friday. It’s understandable, going by how many times the weekend content has been broken in the past it’s safe to assume there’s zero testing going on, so whoever sticks around would have to deal with all the collateral damage almost guaranteed to show up. Might I still suggest at least handling all the issues getting reported right away while you are still trying to not get hit by the door on your mad dash out?

Please consider sending everybody who upgraded the weapon 45 legendary ingots, they will have been wasted for the next 3 years, even after the weapon gets fixed. Reimbursing the first 3 shop tiers players bought for the weapon would also go a long way towards showing that you plan to catch up to the quality standards considered normal in your industry the past 10 years.

21 Likes

This broken weapon makes me wonder what exactly failed in the process.

Devs are the first line of defense. Despite what some devs say, they absolutely should do at least basic testing. They made a weapon that does X, they should check it does X. Did they not do this?

Then there’s QA. If a dev fails, or if there’s an obscure case (not relevant here as this isn’t obscure), QA comes to the rescue. They find problems and report it. Did QA miss this?

Maybe a dev failed, but QA didn’t. So QA sends the bug report back to the dev who failed to acknowledge it. Maybe?

Then there’s the approval part, often by a PM or team lead. Surely this was caught then? Not all companies do this final part especially for a small thing, and just trust the team to report any issues. That’s fine to do iff the issue is actually reported.

Maybe none of them messed up. Maybe there just wasn’t time. So now this is a lead/manager issue. Why wasn’t there time? Also, they now have to decide between delaying a release or releasing buggy content. As a dev director myself, sometimes we decide to release buggy content. But, we absolutely note the known issues to our customers. …usually. The only times I dont are when it’s such an edge case I’d be willing to bet the customer wouldn’t even encounter it. But this bug isn’t an edge case, so yep, I would acknowledge it immediately on release.

Although a broken weapon is ultimately a small thing, it highlights several broken spots in the process. This has happened before with other events. This is something that should result in a team meeting to investigate what went wrong, and make a plan on fixing it.

11 Likes

Snooj forget QA they don’t have anything like that. How would they have if they can’t make a unit test for this?

1 Like