Free to play versus pay to win, a necessary evil... Sometimes

I agree with this, btw. If the game were just payers it would be so small that it would be no fun and the game would die. Bottom line is that it needs the free players to keep it healthy and vibrant. However, it also needs the moneys to keep the lights on. I think this is the fundamental struggle with F2P games (at least for developers with a conscience) and, as far as I’m concerned, this game is the best I’ve seen at walking the tight rope.

Yes, MTG stands for Magic the gathering.

2 Likes

Do you play the card game or the free to play one on steam?

The expensive version. =P The card game.

Not where I come from!
You think I’m gonna pay that much for a movie when I won’t even pay for an awesome game like this!?

All jokes aside, my stance is a lot like @Rasper

The simple fact is I have a mortgage and bills and debts, and I like my food.
I want to pay money, as soon as I can afford it.

On the other side of it, there’s also a certain pride in having got there as free to play.
I have almost all of the troops, I’ve finally ascended a troop to mythic, with several others getting close.
All through hard work and smart choices.

I like what @Studs said [quote=“Studs, post:21, topic:6081”]
Bottom line is that it needs the free players to keep it healthy and vibrant. However, it also needs the moneys to keep the lights on
[/quote]

1 Like

I’ve bought the daily gems package twice, definitely didn’t do much for my progress, but I paid to support the game. I’d like to support it more but none of the other bundles Or anything ever sound appealing

1 Like

Exactly what I did.

I’ve spent around 30-35 euro’s on this game (all before the VIP levels were introduced). I’ve been playing since the start, so I reckon I’ve gotten my money’s worth and have supported the game. Seems like a good trade to me… :smiley:

I had also started a F2P account on steam to see the differences. The only differences I felt were that gold was a bit lower, and souls came in a bit slower. Nothing that made me feel as though you needed to spend money on the game.

Making battles cost 0 gold really helped the F2P players. Before that, lower level F2P players had to be careful to chose PvP matches they knew they would win.

The VIP chests are not that impressive. They are basically useful for when you’ve been playing a long time and are missing that final legendary troop.