Fixing PvP (the mode itself)

This is one of the most painful parts. Oh, and the fact you can’t actually avoid PvP! Currently it’s the only way to get “honor” for quests and Campaigns. Sometimes you are straight up told to “win PvP matches”. So when that comes up you have three choices: Be stuck where you are, Pay for an expensive skip (in Campaigns), or have a very un-fun experience in PvP.

It’s a bad mix. I really hope they fix PvP up.

Thanks for this thread, I hope some of these ideas are implemented in the future, we have a new player in the guild who returned to the game after 3 years and he was extremely turned off by the new PVP after a day.

1 Like

That is happening a lot it seems. I checked the PvP ladder earlier today. The top players were under 6500 VP in Ruby League. People just aren’t playing. The general attitude is that if you play and accidentally rank up, then you get stonewalled due to terrible matchmaking, no scaling, and the many other problems the mode has. So if playing punishes you, why play?

3 Likes

State in ruby league (or any league lower) means little, because every active player has been promoted to diamond league (due to promotion bug).

A way to improve PvP, mentioned in older threads but not in top post: Set up individually customized ban-list, maintained by each player. The player will not be able to use troops he set in ban-list, and will not be set up to fight other players using those troops.

Not everyone. I hit max rank, then avoided PvP in order to drop rank. I’m in Ruby right now, which is why I knew where the Ruby ranks are. Screenshot will be on bottom. Fun fact: contentious combos marked at 20k difficulty or higher are still very common in Ruby.

On a related note, if people are being promoted due to a bug, that’s only going to make everything worse! People who can’t compete and don’t want to compete at higher ranks are going to be thrown in with hardcore players. This will only breed more frustration.

I’ll go ahead and add your idea to the list! I’m not sure personalized ban lists are really feasible as it may be a lot for the system to work through, though. It would need to sift through the ban list of every player in your ranking area plus your list every time someone gets PvP opponents. Then it would need to sift again to get the other two difficulties. That’s a lot of filtering. If it’s feasible, though, it would be very nice.

Edit: Also added Wolfchadren’s ideas on limiting extra turns (in PvP only) plus the general idea I have seen floating around that says that “nerfs made for PvP should only affect things during PvP.”

I accidentally got 2nd place in my bracket with 9k last week in Diamond. People are getting the rewards and quitting. I try to look at my global rank every week at around 7800, and it seems less people are bothering even to get up to the 6500 rewards.

1 Like

The biggest issue with this PvP is that most times you can’t even allow the AI the have ONE single turn before being looped to death. Didn’t they nerf troops to prevent this?

1 Like

I didn’t even get that high. I was rank 14 in Ruby and got promoted to Diamond… the bug strikes again! That said, currently in Diamond I’m in the top 3 despite being under 3k. I’m tempted to just quit as soon as I can complete the current campaign step. Things are just so unbalanced and repetitive right now that I am not enjoying myself.

Yep. And then people unearthed more nasty combos which replaced the old problem combos. That’s why I hope that changes in the PvP system itself might be more effective. People will always find nasty combos the devs didn’t think of. If the system is built to deal with players who make nasty combos, then it won’t matter how many nasty combos there are. We will have options where we don’t have to face them unless we want to!

I agree with many things said in this thread. When the new PVP came around, I thought it was going to be pretty fun. But early frustrations sent me to other modes. A variety of modes is what I like about Gems of War. But I like to buy the Campaign passes, and to get the most of my money I have to get glory from PVP. So I went back to PVP. One of the things that irritates me most about doing PVP for glory for the campaign is it’s worded in such a way that Glory from anywhere should count. If they would just change the wording, part of my annoyance would be alleviated.

But what was not so fun was no matter what color was required for each area, weapons that took all colors could be used, making the teams still feel the same. I do like color limitations because I play new cards and see new cards. But when every hero uses the same five color weapon, it does have that sameness feel.

Also, I dedicated a large amount of time to PVP today and I have 30 glory out of the 100 I need for the campaign pass after playing a variety of low and high teams. I have far more defeats than wins. And maybe I’m a poor player, but it will make me reconsider the campaign pass next time. I will probably not buy it.

1 Like

100% agreed. I was shocked that this is such a major oversight! There are other ways to get Glory, so why don’t they count? This has been a problem since before the PvP change, too. I suspect the quests system just doesn’t know to look anywhere else for Glory. It’s a coding error from something being badly hardcoded early on.

I have been having a lot less fun with PvP, too. I used to spend a lot of time doing PvP. Seeing all the new cards, trying new combos, and fighting new teams was fun! I especially miss the players who set up fun defenders they wanted you to enjoy fighting. A team full of cute baby animals. A team that is 100% gnomes. A Christmas party. A leprechaun rampage. So much fun…

Now everyone is using the same teams it’s not fun. And unless you are using the exact same team, expect a slog. I can and do still win, but I can think of more fun ways to spend 5-10 minutes. This makes 4 towers look fun. Ugh. I really wish they could just fight each other and leave everyone else alone.

I know there will always be people who just want as many wins as possible as fast as they can. Maybe this is fun to them? Either way, an entire mode should not be made boring or unplayable because of a few players. And, as those players will always exist, the best answer is to work on the mode, not the troops/weapons/classes.

5 Likes

I’m just going to point out that glory from the underspire counts towards the campaign task, but it’s much slower at only 2 per battle. It’ll require 50 battles, so, at minimum, you’d need to buy 3 packs of torches. You might get that down to 2 packs if you find enough sentinels dropping torches. Still, it’s better than paying 500 gems to skip the task and immeasurably better than playing PVP.

To bring this rant back on topic, I think they could definitely improve PVP by making two changes. First, bring back defense teams. Maybe have a defense team for each PVP location that the player can set. Second, make the color restricted regions have a secondary color restriction. To clarify, I don’t mean to open it up like a faction delve. I mean make it so they must have the primary color, but are only allowed to have troops with 2 other colors, so that 3 colors are flat banned. For instance, if it’s Red primary, and Blue/Yellow secondary, all troops or weapons would be red, red/blue, red/yellow, or red/blue/yellow. No troops or weapons containing purple, brown, or green would be allowed.

1 Like

I havent read all the suggestions so apologise if this has already been suggested…
Heres my idea to make things fairer, maybe there should be other floating zones like blood lust that is more friendly to newer gamers so this should be a place where no mythics may roam and that should include weapons also a place with no legendaries and so on all the way down to common. Obviously the closer to common cards the games SHOULD get more protracted and point rewards should increase to compensate that game length. Thoughts??? ???

1 Like

These zones should get no vp bonus though. Im sorry but a new player shouldnt be able to jump right in the deep end and swim. Sounds eltist but thats how these games work.

There should be a way for new players to progress faster though. Ive been playing for years and have nearly all troops. All the ones that matter at least. I cant imagine being a new player right now with takshaka and stellarix out there

Those zones for newer players sound a little like Arena, only more fun. I like this idea.

Thanks. Seems fair that if end game users get there own zone why shouldnt newer gamers.