[Fixed] Game won't connect with Google Play Games

I have 7 accounts on multiple Android devices at different times. It asks for the Google account after clicking to start up the game. And then goes into the game. No issues at all. Under settings if you try to log in then you’ll get an error message…hit okay… Go back to the game.
But not on the initial splash screen.
It’s just new since 4.6 so a lot of folks are confused by it. Given the present bug of 4.5 that prevents the accounts from actually being linked.
It was added due to Google cloud saves. But all the patch notes say are “now with Google cloud saves”.
No indication of the new sign in or how it’s actually supposed to work.
Just a case of mass confusion due to lack of information.
Prior to 4.6 signing in was an option. Now it seems required is all. Which is perfectly fine since no one can play Gems of War on Android without having a Google account in the first place. And some lucky folks like me on my phone. Aren’t even prompted with the screen. I can see it trying to ask. It gets to info that it wants and goes away. And on I go into the game.

No prompt initial start up just automatically “connects”

On my Chromebook I would see my Google account and have to click on it. It doesn’t automatically sign in.
But under both devices. It does this under settings.

The last image being the 4.5 bug that was never fixed.
Made only worse by 4.6 leaning into Google even more.
Annoying… But not game breaking FOR ANY of the lovely Android users. :grinning:
Those using emulators…:man_shrugging:… You’re on your own.

1 Like

Androïd 7.0, up to date.
Each time i launch the game, he asks me to connect to one of my google account. I do it, no error. just so boring (considering the game restart each time i go check something on a browser, or phone to someone, or take a picture, …). Connect again, and again and again

In game, if a click on the google button, he doesn’t sign in, keep trying with scrolling mana balls, then same error as other players (your connection to the server has timed out, please try again later). So my success aren’t recorded.

Did not have any problems before the patch

Heads up team, we think we have fixed this issue! Please restart you game and device.

If you’re still experiencing it, please let us know.

1 Like

Thanks for the “quick” fix. (Positive perspective.)

Now the new angst…
Unachievable (currently) Achievements. :roll_eyes:

I know GoW isn’t the only game to do this. I’m not a fan of it… personally.

When the game first launched (5th anniversary approaching), there was an achievement for collecting 100 troops, but there weren’t 100 troops in the game. Think of it as symmetry.

2 Likes

The only difference is… within a patch period I assume they knew that the game would have a 100 troops. No ETA on when we’ll have enough deeds to upgrade a single kingdom to 15. I’d have to check. But my guess is it’s been 90 days since 4.5 was released given we just another patch and all.

If memory serves, it was about six months after launch before troop #100 arrived. Events lasted two weeks back then, and there was only one new troop per event. 15 kingdoms and a troop level cap of 10. No traits and no mythics. Those were the days! I almost wish there was a time travel portal on the modern map to allow us to go backwards and play the “classic” game on the “classic” map. But it would have to be re-coded from scratch for cross-platform, sadly.

1 Like

Were you a lieutenant then? :grin:

It worked, thank you!

Sort of fixed. I can log in now, but it makes me manually select my Google account. Every single time. Even on my galaxy tab A 10.5, which only has a single account associated with it.

1 Like

I have the exact some issue on my Android phone.

And the majority of the achievements (all but one) that I don’t have unlocked yet, are in fact already achieved in the game, except they’re just not recognized as being completed.

For example: “Student - Finish the tutorial”. I’m currently level 1332. I finished the tutorial approximately 5 years ago…

Also for me, it continues to pause every launch to confirm my Google Play login, although at least it does actually login now once I’ve tapped it. :slight_smile: LG G7 running Android 9.0.

Paging @Saltypatra this seems like a common issue. Are the Devs still on it?

That should’ve been fixed too. Are you signed into a different google play account in the Google Play app?
Do you switch Google Play accounts for any other game or app?
Have you tried signing in through the game settings or do you just do it when you launch the game?

Google Play connects on iOS with no problems, but achievements are not updating.

Google Play sign in only works on android devices. I think you might be talking about the Apple’s Games Center? The achievements will only unlock in the games center if they were achieved on your iOS device

1 Like

Works exactly as intended on my S9+.
On the HP 2 in 1 Chromebook however…
Same reports as having to select the Google user on every start up.
If I remember I’ll try to sign out under settings and sign in tomorrow to see if that resolves it.

I am very Android proficient and have tried all steps. The game client doesn’t seem to “remember” which Google Play ID was used in the previous session. I can actually login to any of the three Google accounts I have, but I only want to use one for GoW, and I would expect the client to remember previous session data. As stated before, this all worked just fine for me prior to the 4.6 update.

I don’t think this is fixed either. I normally still have to click on my google play sign-in when starting the game. Weirdly though, about 10% of the time I don’t.

1 Like

Going into settings and logging in that way resolved it on my S9+ but failed to resolve it on my Chromebook.
In fact, yesterday I had to sign on my phone again as well.
So the issue is more broken than fixed at this point @Kafka.

1 Like