Fix the matchmaking in PvP

I will not be the first one to bring this up, but Matchmaking in PvP requires rebuilding. I dunno which randomization algorithm you are using and why you are sticking onto the players that recently played PvP - I would agree if the matches were Online PvP, but it is Just fighting against Defense Team of the other player managed by AI.

But right now matchmaking sucks big, as after 60 battles the following Players were matched:

Suizidkommando
#BeautifulLife
ASTRINO
Valar
Le rebelle
Prinzessin fitzbang
Graeme
Taloca
Valar
Black Sunny
Prinzessin fitzbang
RaVeN
Shining Dragon
ASTRINO
libellule
RaVeN
Black Rain
Taloca
#BeautifulLife
libellule
Taloca
Prinzessin fitzbang
Anoobis the Lost
Richard
Shining Dragon
libellule
Black Rain
RaVeN
Hans Nieselpriem
Valar
Serrieboo
RaVeN
libellule
Black Rain
K!NG L!ON
Valar
Richard
Tango
Prinzessin fitzbang
Black Sunny
Mall91080
Valar
Black Rain
Dixie
kokolores-666
Valar
Taloca
#BeautifulLife
K!NG L!ON
Misspeachlovely
Tango
Black Sunny
Taloca
Tango
libellule
Mall91080
Richard
wenceskiller
Tango
Taloca

Where:

#BeautifulLife - met 3 times
ASTRINO - 2
Valar - 6 (!!!)
Prinzessin fitzbang - 4 times
Taloca - 6 (!!!)
Black Sunny - 3 times
Black Rain - 4
RaVeN - 4
Shining Dragon - 2
libellule - 5
K!NG L!ON - 2
Tango - 4

And so one. There were only a few playes that I have met only once, generally it was just changint the same opponents over and over.

AFAIK:
You have the Defense team for every single player in the game (ProfileData > Defense team) , why donā€™t you do the randomization among everyone who has Defense team set?

That will ate least increase the variety of teams and make PvP more interesting rather than poking the same player over and over.

15 Likes

Seems right with my matches. I havenā€™t tracked it but it definitely loops the same players over and over. Itā€™s more obvious in CPvP where I can refresh several times and loop back to the same players.

6 Likes

There are thousands of players in this game, but apparently Iā€™m only allowed to fight 5 of them. :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

I wonder if anyone could do an internet search for ā€œPVP matchmaking algorithmā€ and find something good.
Does anyone outside of the development team know the (likely proprietary) algorithm used in GoW?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I believe there isnā€™t much in the way of an algorithm. People who recently played PvP and whose team score is within range of your team score potential get shuffled into your enemy pool. This leads to a negative loop. As you progress in the game, your pool keeps getting smaller, you get bored of the repetitiveness and stop playing PvP, the pool shrinks for the next player, the next player gets bored [ā€¦].

PvP used to be my favourite game mode by a wide margin, I only play to tier 1 these days.

5 Likes

Tend to disagree on that - my team score is 16200 or something, Iā€™m getting teams over 17k all the times

Agreed ā€“ this was my take on it:

1 Like

have to agree with OP, but on the oder sideā€¦ most teams i face are pretty much same META buildsā€¦

so whatā€™s the differenace :man_shrugging:

for me itā€™s no differance to fight team_meta_1 from player x or player yā€¦ itā€™s pretty much same battleā€¦(with stats beeing only factor that differs 2 playersā€¦ :roll_eyes: )

1 Like

I believe that the main theme of PvP (ranked) is to generate Rival and Revenge tags on the teams of other players so to gain more resources like glory or gold. Thatā€™s why it sticks to creating a pool of ā€œrecently played/playingā€ players. It actually benefits you more if you keep playing against a particular set of players and they keep playing against you too.

@jpraveensn, I have to disagree, although I appreciate the core of the idea.

I see no issue with Revenge battles showing up with priority after someone defeats you in PvP, but this doesnā€™t account for the larger proportion of repeated opponents/teams, and I donā€™t believe playing a smaller pool of opponents increases the likelihood of finding Revenge or Rival battles.

If anything, I think it would do the opposite ā€“ at least for Revenge ā€“ since the more players you defeat and defeat you in turn, the more Revenge battles would be created. This is unless there are restrictions on these battle tags that arenā€™t obvious or explicit, for example a short expiry period ā€“ in which case youā€™d need to ā€˜refreshā€™ those tags often by replaying the same opponents.

Iā€™m not sure of the exact mechanics of the ā€˜Rivalā€™ tag ā€“ there isnā€™t a Help Centre article for it, is there? You could be right about a smaller pool for this one, as I seem to recall it potentially being linked to repeatedly beating the same opponent, or repeated victories back and forth, or related to Guild standings(?). Iā€™d say the lack of clear info is probably sadly related to its priority.

Regardless, in the scheme of the gameā€™s rewards system, +2 Glory(?) is a pitiful incentive for part of a proposed main theme of a game mode. If this is the case, those incentives needed updating two years ago. Maybe it could have an increased chance for a Pet Gnome?

1 Like

I agree. We can only contemplate on whatā€™s actually happening underneath. To lose repetition, I tend to play teams from different tiers (1 trophy / 2 trophies / 3 trophies) every now and then.

1 Like

I never target Revenge/Rival battles. The incentive isnā€™t worth it. I always do the easiest fight with Phoenicia team for a quick battle.

Increased Pet Gnome rateā€¦ I could get behind that!

I agree with your point but man talking like this isnā€™t gonna get you anywhere really.

1 Like