It’s a common request and it’s also, effectively, a different game. Here’s how a game of GoW would work if we had real-time head-to-head PvP.
- Game begins. I go first. My team is Flammifer / Yao Guai / Queen Titania / Tai-Pan.
- You wait. And wait. And wait. The game has a 30-second timer before it forces a move. 10 seconds remain.
- I activate Tai-Pan, which fills Flammifer and Yao Guai, giving me a free move. Your first troop get Faerie Fire from Queen Titania.
- You wait. And wait. And wait. 10 seconds remain.
- I activate Yao Guai. Your first troop dies, and the purple I converted gives me a free turn. Cascades have filled Yao Guai and Tai-Pan again.
- 20 seconds later, I activate Flammifer. Your troop #2 dies. Queen Titania is filled.
- 20 seconds later, I activate Queen Titania. There was enough red I get a free turn.
- 20 seconds later, I activate Tai-Pan. I get a free turn from the conversion. Flammifer is full again.
- 20 seconds later, I activate Yao Guai. Your third troop dies.
- I didn’t make a 4-match because the board was clogged. You make a 3-match with your one remaining, severely weakened troop.
- I wait 25 seconds, activate Flammifer, and kill your last troop.
So the match took about 3 and a half minutes of elapsed time and you got to make one move. Then you lost. But technically you lost the game before you even made a move. That’s the kind of game GoW is: there are teams that win on turn 1 even if they yield a few turns in the process.
This was a friendly looping team. There are others that loop more reliably and don’t do a lot of damage. That means the game could easily take 5-10 minutes per. You could win them, but it’s going to be an awful lot of work.
This is just one of many reasons a game exactly like GoW would be terrible for head-to-head PvP. The game needs to be much more fair to support it. That means removing a lot of features like free turns. I can’t even think of a head-to-head match 3 out there. It’s possible they’re so rage-inducing by design only the CPU can stand going second.