Event System Improvements

I could not agree more.

I would take absolutely any option that mixed up the
Meta more than every few months.

1 Like

IMO, I donā€™t think that one week is enough time given to determine if some changes are needed. Yā€™all have some really good points (well thought out) and have made some good suggestions. However, it is up to the players to change the meta, not the Devs.

I changed my defense to an all undead team and did not notice much difference in my opponent choices or point rewards. Granted I did not try for top 100, but I did notice an increase in ā€œRevengeā€ options. That amounts to more glory, souls, gold and an event key. To me this is worth more than the measly 5-7 points towards rankings.

Just an opinion I thought I would share.

As we keep putting bandaids that need to be created/coded (sometimes taking as much work as it would take to rework a kingdom) it sorts of delay the ultimate goal of having a major balance.

But well, i donā€™t know how it is at the ā€œDevā€™s lairā€ā€¦ Maybe some enslaved koalas serving coffee while part of the team is late at night programming new features and some part of the creative team planning the reworks of troops.

I understand the need for fresh things for end-gamers as well, but letā€™s just be careful with how itā€™s handled to not leave the beginners in bad sheets, because thatā€™s exactly how a game is ā€œkilledā€. And yes, iā€™m sure you are aware of it and that you are not asking for such a thing, but iā€™m just reinforcing my main points:

• Making ā€œhunted troopsā€ having bonus in status in some occasions will barely change the end-game meta while having a fair chance of unleashing hell on new players.
  • Giving rewards for ā€œspecial snowflakesā€ defenses is rewarding the players for doing nothing, and it would barely make PVP more fun because the repetitive feeling would still be present, in form of easy battles.

To make more tangible changes for the end-gamers i think we should explore new options.

I canā€™t see it being done without removing a ā€œsliceā€ of the playerā€™s liberty, just as i proposed before to ā€œbanā€ some troops for a week, making it impossible to use certain troops for a whole week and rotating at each pvp. It also presents some colateral damage that wouldnā€™t sit well with a great portion of the playerā€™s base, mostly for new players that sometimes will work a lot on a single troop and if it becomes ā€œbannedā€ for a whole week would be a bad experience. Even if it is a new mode it wouldnā€™t be perfect because we still have troops that would never be used for being plainly useless.

As much as trying positive incentives in form of rewards for using certain troops (not on defense) goes we canā€™t simply make it too much, under the risk of messing the economy, or make it so small to a point it wouldnā€™t matterā€¦ So this sort of balance is hard to achieve because what is ā€œsmallā€ or ā€œtoo muchā€ varies for each ā€œlevel tierā€ among the players.

Some of my own ideas to improve the Events:

• Receiving Event Points for using troops of ā€œKingdom Xā€ could work. So, we would have some sort of Crusade/War between two kingdoms, combining it with the ā€œHunting Eventsā€ , and speed up a little the process of collecting EPs.

• Giving EPs more uses. Allowing us to buy some cards of lower rarities than epics for example. Because ascension will be very painful for ten stars Kingdoms in the future, so allowing us to buy some specific cards of the same type weā€™ve been ā€œhuntingā€ could be a solution to help. This could lead to a reduction of keys generated from guild tasks to keep things balanced out. But having guaranteed options to get cards you need would probably outweight the loss in resources that, eventually, starts to accumulate on their own for end-gamers. While the beginners also benefit from it in the long run because they would have a chance to slight improve two kingdoms at once on the same week with all the keys from the guild tasks and from some purchases using EPs.

time may tell who is right but with the OP i agreed to the idea of rather giving a carrot to encourage defense changes.

sure it doesnt ā€œensureā€ anything but i believe with a proper carrot a noticable amount of players would decide to actually shift their defense along with the event

naming the carrot: rewards for defense wins with a defense meeting event requirements

coz as far as a know most ppl either set their defense:

• to win (as they were aiming small victory rewards - in this case extra wictory carrot could be very effective)
  • or to get more revenges (in this case it might not work but doesnt exclude the opportunity that extra carrod might change their mind)

i like ur idea about more combinations rewarding extra event points, especially if it continues with this reward/cost rate but the rates may change so we shall see how it goes

i dont really like any sort of card crafting idea, so wont support this one but lets see what others say :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes but the players change the meta based on the reward system which is put in place by the devs, and the power of cards. Which ultimately puts the meta in the devs hands. They are in charge of determining how they want the meta to be.

One week is long enough to see fundamental errors with anything. You can immediately poke holes in an idea. You can almost immediately come up with some alternative ideas.

You cannot see the true effects of the system for awhile, that is true. But fundamental issues will not be solved with time unless changes are made.

Itā€™s never too early to poke holes and share improvement ideas.

Especially since devs will take their time to implement anything. So it wonā€™t find its way into the game any time soon anyways.

Also On a different note,

Bandaid fixes are necessary if the appropriate fix is years away.

Which at this rate it is.

If a bandaid fix can be done in really short time, which adding a defense only event would be doable since the base event system is in place already, then that bandaid fix is appropriate

If the bandaid fix was taking away a significant amount of time from fixing the actual problem then I would agree with that sentiment. But if that fix is a long way off then something needs to be done in the mean time.

1 Like

As I said, some good points have been made and suggestions also. Have yā€™all heard the saying, ā€œYou can lead a horse to water, but you canā€™t make him drinkā€? I believe that the Devs are trying their best to make the rewards enticing enough without cutting into their profit margin. I myself am going to give it some more time to see what other events they have in store for us. Maybe they already have plans to implement some of your suggestions. Maybe not. Only time will tell.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t suggesting have the hunted troops have a bonus in stats. I was suggested the stuff that already has a bonus in stats have a bonus to be hunted.

The way it is now, people can and will still put up stat boosted stuff on defense, up to and including meta troops, even at low level. Then, when fighting these boosted teams, you get nothing extra for beating it, and yes, it can be quite a headache at lower levels, my currently level 66 alt account can attest to that. The only in-game incentive to change defense teams is because of this stat boost - this is the one thing attempting to draw people to change their defenders to the boosted troops to ā€œshake up the metaā€. As probably the most universally used human troop, I donā€™t believe Knight Coronet was seen that much more than usual this week at low level, but it sure was felt more. The system already works this way - we are already unleashing hell on low level players. Giving out event rewards or even just raising their gold values for PvP wouldnā€™t change whether people are actually putting out the boosted teams on defense to begin with, it would just make the reward for beating them slightly more appropriate. This goes doubly for when a ā€œmetaā€ troop happens to be among those boosted.

Now, if we then, on top of that, added an extra incentive of bonus rewards for winning with the newly boosted/hunted troops, then there would be a problem by overincentivizing one thing. I wasnā€™t suggesting that either. It should be either boosted rewards for being encountered and winning on defense with the hunted troop type (as was proposed in the OP) and have killing boosted troops give some non-event reward OR have the hunted troop type and boosted troop type be one in the same, so when they do show up on defense, at least you get rewarded for beating them.

The main issue Iā€™m seeing so far with the system as a whole is same basic issue as the Whitehelm problem. Sure, we can a bunch of us agree to all do something some way to make the game more fun for everyone (ie, put out undead on the week where they are hunted, even though we get nothing from doing it), but if the in game system says the optimal strategy (even very weakly optimal, as it were) is to instead make the game more of a chore or boring for everyone (either ignore the event and stick with the meta, continue to put out a single troop defense, or use nothing but stat boosted troops only to slow people down - these are the things incentive by the current system), the system itself is flawed.

The boosted troops also appear in challenges and questlines (beginning at level 10, which after the tutorial under normal circumstances, but before you finish the Broken Spire questline), which I think could also be a huge problem for lower levels. In addition, you donā€™t get any event gems from challenges or quests. My low level account simply does not have the resources to level new teams every week - without heavy farming (which I wont do, because it would defeat the purpose of having a low level test account in the first place), I get one fully troop leveled a week, if Iā€™m lucky. I canā€™t realistically take advantage of either boosted stats of a certain type or something that requires building a full team of x, yet I get all of the downsides of having to occasionally fight the boosted stat troops, but none of the benefits. Luckily, most the quests are already pushovers and only one semi-strong troop appeared frequently in low level PvP this week. I hate to think what will happen to the low level game on a Zaejin or Dragonā€™s Claw week, though.

1 Like

Now this makes much better sense thanā€¦

ā€¦ because the way you worded it seemed like a suggestion that we shouldnā€™t have normal troops to hunt for Event points. Just buffed troops would reward EPs.

But i agree it is flawed, it does not follows the regular logic that people were supposed to try to win with their defensive teams, because in a regular logical competition you should be penalized for losing, no matter what people say in favor of this ā€œPVPā€ we have and itā€™s structure of rewardsā€¦

We just have a weird system. And it fails to appraise greeks and romans because on one hand beating the A.I is quite doable, only with some occasional extra help from overpowered troops and effects, bugs, or a great stream of ā€œluckā€ it has a chance to actually win a few battles against human players. And when that happens people will complain because they hate to loseā€¦ While on the other hand there are people that hate to face ā€œsuper-dumb-easyā€ battles because there is no challengeā€¦

These are mixed signals that we constantly see: ā€œYo devs, likeā€¦ Could you change the game in a way that it feels challenging to me while making sure that i will never lose a battle again?ā€

Ok, thatā€™s an exaggeration, but iā€™m sure you can relate it with our present situation where the defining line of a good experience is all messed up because people want challenging battles, but also the certainty of successā€¦

1 Like

LOL. So true, so true. Itā€™s not that far of an exaggeration IMO.

2 Likes

I change my mind about these Events: it seems that hunted troops will not need bonus. Because I think that more and more players will invade only teams that have these hunted troops. Maybe in few weeks, there will be so many players putting these hunted troops in their defense that you will have to do the same if you want to be invaded.
In resume, soon if you put hunted troops in your defense, you will get invades else no invade.

And who want to fight versus boosted troops? So yes maybe if you put these boosted troops, you may increase your win ratio but if nobody invade you, your reward will be lowā€¦

Of course, not everyone have the free scout feature (it can be interesting to have a 5$ bundle with it inside). Thatā€™s why my recommendation is to display on the three choices in PVP how much Event gems can be gained so we can easily target defenses with hunted troops. Even with the scout feature, itā€™s annoying to click on each choice to see who is going to give you more Event gems.

Please donā€™t take this a very negative post
The only thing that will change the dread troop cloning is people making up their own minds and stop copying what they see in videos or what is suggested in guilds and forums. That isnā€™t going to happen. The no thought instant win mind state is always going to be here. I was just as guilty of asking ā€˜Whatā€™s the best team?ā€™ in the beginning.
You will never change the ideas of those looking for the most annoying, strongest, or quickest defense without creating more of the same in those catagories. Changing Valkyrie had no impact that I can see in pvp. That could be my limited range of opponents.
Personally I say a thank you to those putting up a one card, or now event helpful, team! And I return the favor.

i think devs actually like getting more feedback, and just waiting to see their adjustment while giving them no feedback to use for the adjustments makes not as much sense :stuck_out_tongue:

actually i think there is no need to worry about that,
it seems there is some sort of limitation accourding the amount of attacks you can receive related to your activity and amount of attacks you did:

so if you get skipped - system will offer you over and over until it meets the defense amount you are supposed to get,

analogically if your defense is very wanted - you soon wont be offered as an option as you use up all the defenses you were suppose to holdā€¦ more or less :wink:

althought obviously the brackets are wide (i think it goes around ~ from 3:1 to 1:1 attacks/defenses) so in the end it might be indeed some matches more or some matches less, but i think just not enough to be worried unless you are in the ā€œi want to loose and get revengesā€ group in which case u are getting attacked the most you can get anyway

1 Like

I am in love with the rewards we are getting from the event system, just look at those gems.

I have a different issue with the event system. Many people set their defense teams to undead last week to help each other in PvP. Iā€™m sure the devs intended this and it was great.

However, many people still have their teams set to undead as they havenā€™t been on yet to change to the current event troop types.

This creates a situation where itā€™s better (saves time) to WAIT to play GoW until later in the week.

Any system which creates a situation where your players donā€™t want to play may not be the best business decision.

1 Like

Iā€™m seeing this as well. This is a consequence of us knowing nothing about the upcoming event either via the various spoliers thread or even after the official announcement. I was up at the time of the reset, so I was able to toss an appropriate team for hunt bonuses up on defense before I went to bed, but this information should really be available at least when the announcement goes up.

2 Likes

Sorry, but why does it matter? I wonā€™t show up as a possible target until I have played some PvP, given that I always stop once I reach tier 1. At the same time I can change my defense. The only one(s) who will have my old defense are those that stopped PvPing with me in the list last weekā€¦

And yes, I know some people continue PvPing all week.

Yes agree. Maybe devs have to announce next week events in their weekly announcement.

I really wish there was more than or better prizes, stuff beyond the 500 would be nice.

Or maybe make the 500 one repeat every 500ā€¦ Just something for those whom can grind more.

Considering that the old guild tasks used to worked this way i doubt they would consider this. Yes, the old guild tasks were on another whole level, but unlimited free stuff isnā€™t healthyā€¦

Iā€™m very surprised that this weekā€™s rewards are easier to achieve and more valuable at the same time. Iā€™m wondering it each week will have a diferent set of rewards

Yes Iā€™m a little bit surprised by the lack of informations from the devsā€¦
They also increased the number of possible hunted troops (53, this week versus 26, last week).

Else for the rewards, devs convert them in dollars. So they cannot give us too much dollars for free ;-).