Endless loading screen on PvP

Platform, device version and operating system:
Steam and PC
Screenshot or image:
Not available
What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
An endless loading screen comes up when I try to access PvP. When I do ctrl-alt-del, the task manager shows a Unity crash error report. I was able to get into PvP on my PC earlier. Not sure if it was before or after reset.
How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
Maybe after reset today.
Steps to make it happen again
Try to access PvP. Endless loading screen comes up and I have to ctrl-alt-del and end the program through task manager. I have done a full shut down and restart and just a restart and the same things happens again when I try to get into PvP. PvP seems to be the only area that I can’t get into, but I will check some more.

I can access PvP through my iPhone GoW app without any delay or problem.

Edited to add more information:
I’ve tried each button on the screen and every option works fine except for PvP. That is the only one where the endless loading screen comes up. Which means I can play everything BUT PvP. While this isn’t a real hardship as long as it doesn’t continue forever, it shouldn’t be happening.

Update on December 26th after reset: Still endless loop when trying a access PvP on PC via Steam.

Does this mean this is just a Steam issue? But why only with PvP?

I finally got my tablet charged and tried GoW on that. At least PvP would load and I could play one battle and then the endless loop before the next battle would load. My table runs off the same WiFi router as my PC.

Went to the iPhone (running off the iPhone 5G data network) and PvP loaded without a problem and I only had minimal lag between battles.

This has led me to - maybe - a solution: I need a new WiFi router. Mine is years old and running on 4G. It supplies the WiFi to my PC and tablet and I have backups and virus protection and who knows what checking the Internet on a regular basis. I don’t think my router can handle the data load GoW needs with the new PvP - or at least now when it looks like they are pulling teams from everyone who has ever played GoW.

As I was typing this, I came up with another way to check to see if it is my old router: run off the iPhone hotspot. That will be 5G so it should be able to handle more data.

I know this is probably of interest only to me, but… Well, like I said, I came up with another test as I was typing this.

Feel free to ignore the post just like the mods and devs do. lol

iPhone hotspot works like a charm.

So my problem is partially solved. Yes, there will still be a lag because of all the data going back and forth to GoW servers, but having a 5G Internet connect makes the game playable on my PC. ymmv

1 Like

Great, if the issue is due to bloated data, they will never fix it, because it is clearly the “fault” of the users to not have the fastest possible network… :frowning:

40 seconds load per fight here, pretty reliable. And no way to change it on my end.

Well some of us have both. Extremely long loading times but also a very fast network …

2 Likes

My other players and the rest of our guild take an average of more than 2 minutes to load per battle. We are Chinese players. I’m wondering if it has something to do with the player’s region. This shouldn’t happen.

My record is 2 mins 10 seconds +. 7-8 loading screens to start, minus any battle, 1:59 minutes to complete. 1Gig internet, Europe.

Mostly each battle is around 2 minutes from clicking battle and the end loading, forgetting the game play.

However they managed to ‘fix’ the sentinels…

Never should have been released as is.

2 Likes

Anybody up for an experiment? If you get the long loading screen, could you cut your internet connection (e.g. by removing the network cable) and describe how Gems of War reacts? If it immediately shows an error, what happens if you reestablish your internet connection and tell it to continue? Is the battle then coming up right away, without any significant further delays?

I don’t want to check the disconnect (I think, Steam might get a little unhappy, if I did this).
However I just had a look at my ressources, and it appears that the game is drawing my entire download capacity while the loading screen is on (and stops, as soon as it’s finished).
I don’t think, this is actually linked to the required data amount (the 4-5 Megabyte, that my connection can eat during that phase, would not be noticable to others), but there is clearly an attempt to transmit something bigger or multiple times.

Your guess, that it keeps doing so until it runs into a timeout, sounds very plausibe.

And, strangely enough, I can now get into PvP on my PC with the regular connection (4G max) with almost no load lag.

Is there an icon for throwing your hands up in air? I have no idea what’s going on or why.

At least it’s playable again, which is an improvement. No clue why. Maybe the Christmas gods gave me a late Christmas present. smirk

Maybe it would be a tiny bit less frustrating, if I was able to get into the chat, while this loading is going on.

1 Like

Guess who’s back? PvP loading times have increased immensely again on Xbox.

When exploring too. :unamused: (On the Playstation)

Going by the name this would make an exceptionally fitting company mascot. :joy:

@Hayabusa @MonkeyD-Drake we’ve looked into this. The game lag is still more than it was before 7.3, but it’s the same as it’s been since we released the last improvement for it, so nothing has changed on the game server performance wise.

I had a bit of a deeper dive and found there were issues with Playstation and some ISPs in your country in the past 12 hours, I suspect that affected things.

You can see this by going to https://downdetector.com/ and selecting your country in the top right drop down menu.

1 Like