End game pvp teams

I just tried this A1 led team, it is awesome when it gets going, but it’s really glass cannon to me. A1 feels like a weaksauce tank even with two boosts under his belt… Yes I’ve gotten two boosts for him and had him die, sometimes this game just refuses to give you a board you can do something with, despite every troop in this deck being able to transform gems…

You do occasionally have to look a couple moves in advance to get started, but thats another thing I love about this team. It requires a different kind of focus on what you are converting than most converter loops - you often convert for elimination and alignment, rather than just mana. Anointed One is basically there occasionally to eliminate greens as a “free move”, allowing easier alignment between other colors, but the attack boost is nice too. Sekhma/Hellcat also works if you just toss a Gorgotha or something in front instead and you can kill one or two troops per board cycle and blow it up to refresh, then start again, occasionally streaking through if things fall into place in just the right way, but I highly prefer the “checkmate” nature of using A1 up front and never really have a problem winning with it in the 500+ times I’ve used it, either.

This is basically me. Few things compare to the overwhelming speed you get from Mercy.

However, I do still run dragons as well, either:

Krystenax
Krystenax
The Dragon Soul
Sylvanimora

OR

Krystenax
The Dragon Soul
Elemaugrim
Elemaugrim

I can’t help but feel I need to tweak the latter somehow, as the former is waaay faster.

There are also a few monocolor teams that are good enough to use in standard PVP, but they’re not QUITE as fast.

Wulfgarok
Wulfgarok
Forest Guardian
Giant Spider

Gorgotha
Pharos-Ra
Pharos-Ra
Dark Troll

Crimson Bat
Valkyrie
Crimson Bat
Death

Green Seer (Giant Spider if GW)
Giant Spider
Kraken
Kraken

etc

1 Like

No, he’s not. Mercy is the best troop in the game. She’s the only empowered mana generator. That’s a huge advantage considering the human player always starts first.

1 Like

I agree. 10 chars.

It’s horses for courses. Mercy doesn’t work on every team; nor does gorgotha. Gorgotha has more utility IMO, but when a team uses mercy she is absolutely killer and totally critical to the success of that team.

Yes, in 1 of maybe 3 games or so, in the others her empowered is basically pointless.

1 Like

Here’s one I put together after reading about folks complaining about stonehammer.
Stonehammer
Dragon soul
Pharos-Ra
Krystenax

Kraken banner or abyssal banner.

1 Like

Nah, who cares for some extra life here or there? Is nice effect but not as useful as mana explode such that Gorgotha has. When Gorgotha up front - he take incredible beating with granite skin - this lets you leave the skulls as much as you want no worry while you get all the precious mana. Fast mana fills > extra life. Granite skin > empowered

Yet Gorgotha is not in any of my best PVP teams (and in only one of my 18 guild wars teams) while Mercy is in both my top PVP teams (and in several GW teams).

Gorgotha is a good troop but (to me) Mercy is far more valuable.

Your team, your decision. But once you have more experience and better skill at team builds you will no doubt realise value of Gorgotha. If you notice PvP teams - Mercy very common in mid range teams, is very common choice for average players as well as Mab because seems good at first glance.

You’re kidding, right? :laughing:

I guess I’ll go and try to do something about that inexperience then so that in the future I won’t be an average and inexperienced player anymore. :laughing:

4 Likes

I love Gorgotha. And I don’t even have him. But when I get him. Lights out!

1 Like

C’mon @Darkness… You really need to play more to talk to the “big dogs” like @Tache… I suggest waiting until you are at least level 100 before commenting :joy:

2 Likes

My mistake @Vangor:laughing:
I’m just an “average player”, I shouldn’t have commented on end game pvp teams. “Big dogs” like @Tache obviously know much better than I do… :wink:

@Tache: You do realize that the two teams I posted above are very commonly used invade teams in high level PVP, right? With Mercy having insane synergy with the other troops in both teams where a good starting board can literally win the game on turn 1? Or are you saying that players with “experience and better skill at team builds” all think that those teams aren’t good?

Nowhere did I say that Gorgotha isn’t a good troop, all I am saying is that Mercy is better for invades, because of its insane synergy with a couple of the very best invade troops in the game (Great Maw and Gard’s Avatar for example).

3 Likes

Some interesting teams here! Thanks for sharing! :smiley:

1 Like

Different opinions on what troop is the best? Insanity, there is only one correct answer!

2 Likes

He’s also, apparently, basing his opinion on what he sees in PVP. Well, of course you don’t see a lot of mercy in high-level defend teams - you can’t trust the AI to cast her spell at an appropriate time. She’s much more useful in the hands of a human player.

2 Likes

Like Mercy, Gorgotha’s bad on defense too. The AI just keeps casting Gorgotha’s spell even when all other troops are completely full of mana… :wink:

2 Likes

You could argue forever about the definition of “value”, but when it comes to Mercy, it just comes down to this: an Empowered gem converter is just as much of an advantage as going first is. A board-exploding tank absolutely has its advantages, but they’re completely different.

3 Likes