Do we need +50% boosts in Events?

Now that the fights are fair and AI is as lucky than the player, this bonus became painful…

The other problem is that +25%/+50% stacks with Sentinel bonus so when you are a Soldier and you fight a Champion/Paragon the difference in terms of stats is huge… So I think that the Event bonus should not be applied in GW.

5 Likes

So you are saying that champions and paragons are more difficult opponents and that defeating them is an actual accomplishment? Heaven forbid that GW fights actually become more difficult as you progress and the champions and paragons have more than a fair chance to win.

No I’m saying that Sentinel bonus + Event bonus creates a hupe gap between Sentinel-Paragon, not one or the other bonus but both at the same time.

In fact, I didn’t check if the Event bonus is added or multiplied…

I hate the 50% boost with a fiery passion. I get that it’s intent is to give people incentive to use a variety of troops and expand their focus to increase the diversity of their teams, but it seems to have the opposite effect. As soon as that boost drops all the big teams are either full of traited out mythics or they are the same one everyone else is using.

I end up facing the same teams over and over again that just happen to have their stats boosted well beyond a reasonably competitive scale.

I think if they want to increase exposure they should try a few more creative solutions.

• We could tie the events into the arena. This way the troops you choose between would be more likely to represent the event criteria, and possibly give small bonuses to selecting the spotlit troops. For that they would need to balance out the arena a bit more and update the rewards to be more enticing (Maybe start throwing in some arcane or runic traitstones for good performance)

• They could make the new troops released each week available for people who don’t have them yet to build into their teams. They could be demo units for a limited time and be fully leveled, ascended and traited to show what they can do. If you build a team around them instead of offering the fully rediculous 25% stat boost just augment the bonuses you usually get for having 4 uniques of the same kingdom or troop type and have it as an event bonus for all troops.

• We could have after battle rewards, similar to the bonus traitstones we have this week, or bonus gold/souls, etc… we get on other events that are tied to the event troops. When they introduce crafting they could even make that a primary method of acquiring rare crafting materials.

These are just off the top of my head, but the current system is rediculously broken. Especially when it comes to the interactions between different PVP modes. When stacked with the Sentinel bonuses in GW, the shackles of sticking with mono teams on offence, and the luck mechanic getting a 5/0 day gets increasingly intimidating. And those teams don’t have an edge due to the strategy, it’s just cause the troop that would normally have 40 armor, 60 health, and 40 attack now has 80 armor, 90 health, and 60 attack and can shred through your tank with two unlucky skull drops.

1 Like

I don’t see why event troops can’t have a bonus like the new GW cards. +5 to all stats.

This week would be +5 Maugrim Woods and +5 if beast.

The code is already written.

25% and 50% is honestly too much some weeks. Some weeks its not a big deal. But the +5 would be a great boost but not as much.

2 Likes

not as much wouldn’t be enough. The idea is to use them on both defense and invade teams. Even if you choose not to use them on invade, 25/50 isn’t too much to overcome the vast majority of the time. Players still have win rates well over 80%.

1 Like

I would prefer nothing gets 50%. When things have 150+ HP and armor it doesn’t make the battle any harder it just make it take 3 times longer and it gets boring. I think the event kingdom should get 25% and a random troop type that is not from that kingdom should get 25%. So for example last week could have been Maugrim Woods and elemental or undead.

1 Like

Why not give the troop type a 25% stat boost but then the kingdom of the week provides a bonus multiplier based on the donations of that kingdom?

For example week of Divines and Whitehelm, my Gard gets 25% boost and he counts as a Whitehelm troop providing me a .5x to Glory each battle.

Field a full Whitehelm squad and get double Glory! (.5/troop)

That way no troop EVER gets +50% AND you can get some fun resource teams going too!

Just a thought… :wink:

Edited to reflect the wisdom of the Great @Ozball!

Interesting idea, though Gard is Whitehelm isn’t he? By donations do you mean the tribute amount you get from them? or?

Also looks like no +50% troops this week.

1 Like

I noticed this myself. 50% boosts for new or reworked content that hasn’t been tested much is, uh, dangerous. Damn Orcs… Anyway maybe that’s being toned down?

I don’t much like what the 25/50% boosts bring out, in general. Early levels it shouldn’t matter much, or its just going to be random stuff they don’t have. Mid-game it should actually be sort of cool. End-game, well… we get a Knight bonus and everyone uses Khorvash that week. Etc.

1 Like

I like the +50% bonus. I’d rather have 1 meta per week than 1 meta forever.

3 Likes

^ This. I’ll be doing another quick review of the defense teams for the top 100 mid week, but my hypothesis is that we’ll have far more meta defense teams and very few event defenses this week. So a bonus to boredom :sob: . 25% to mediocre troops isn’t enough to make them useful…

3 Likes

Only time I find certain troops useful is during event weeks like wulfgarock…who will now collect dust for another six months.

He might get some love soon, I have a good feeling.

Well maybe 2-3 months…cost isn’t an issue, color isn’t synergistic with his buddies, his spell damage is far too low and his third trait is pretty unimpressive given the new GW troops. I like the fact he was given more friends to play off of but he’s still lacking. The entire mechanism requires crippling foes rather than killing outright, and in any environment that’s a weak play. Its more work to setup weaker cards to cripple down to that magic zone than to just wipe out an entire team. Especially for a nontargetable devour that often will hit an impervious or barriered opponent.

You are correct! I meant Whitehelm not Adana. I will edit my original post to make sense.

Whitehelm gives only Glory donation so on a Whitehelm week each troop would give .5x multiplier to Glory so fielding 4 would equal a double Glory event.

Other kingdoms would break down multipliers according to their donations. I am not a math whiz but it would need to be broken down so that all bonus equate to a total of 2.0 divided proportionally based upon Kingdom donation. Then once they figure those numbers out. Divide by 4 to determine how much each troop provides.

Clear as mud?
:confused:
:wink:

I did some number crunching and here is the result.

Whitehelm Troops would give .5x to Glory (30)
Khetar Troops would give .5x to Souls (120)
Khaziel Troops would give .5x to Gold (750)

So now let’s look at Adana.
Adana Tribute is:
525 gold (70%)
6 glory (20%)
12 souls (10%)

So on an Adana week each Adana troop would provide these multipliers:

Gold: .35x
Glory: .1x
Souls: .05x

A full Adanan Squad would provide

Gold: 1.4x
Glory: .4x
Souls: .2x

I think this could be really fun to add to the mix… much more fun then MORE inflated stats imho. :wink:

5 Likes

I like the idea of boosted troops, and like that it does actually bring variety to the meta.

I do wish there was a way to really bring out more of the weaker cards. But it’s hard to determine what would actually make them strong enough to be strong (outside of a full rework).

As to the +5 idea, it doesn’t work because A) it doesn’t make enough of a difference in endgame and B) it’s a huge gap in the very early game.

I haven’t read through the entire thread so i don’t know if any of this has been stated already, but…

1. I believe the weekly event boosts to troops should only apply in PvP and Guild Wars. Having Explore, Campaign (and arena?) Troops boosted doesn’t make sense for new players trying to do these events and stay out of the PvP meta. Let there be SOME reprieve, SOMEWHERE.

2. I agree with the original post and feel a 12.5% boost to each category (for a maximum 25% boost) would feel great. A 25% boost is enough to help a troop out and definitely make them feel more powerful, but not OVERPOWERED so that players don’t feel at a loss if they decide not to play with that troop.

1 Like

Sorry for the late post, but I mentioned that I would review the top 100 defenses. I captured the data Thursday night, just didn’t have time to analyze it and put together a post until now. Anyway, here’s what I found:

• Only 4 event defenses, and another 6 which are likely leftover event defenses from previous weeks (also 1 single-troop defense remained)
  • 15 Famine-based (
  • 16 Kerberos-based (all used FG, 10 used GS)
  • 17 EK-based (8 using a combination of Valk, Mercy, Justice, and/or Mab)
  • 14 Kraken-based (8 using GS, 4 using Lady Anariel and Mab)
  • 10 Dragon-based
  • 7 Draakulis (6 using Humility/Mercy)
  • 11 other random teams

For comparison, the results of my last review are at Welcome to Nimhain's Lair: May 21st - #189 by beanie42 . Overall, my hypothesis about event-based defense teams was correct. A 25% boost simply isn’t enough to make weak troops viable or encourage anybody to use them, so as expected event defenses are down drastically from previous weeks. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of defensive teams. The meta is still a bit narrow, but it’s almost doubled from the previous “Big 3” to 5 or 6 (a good start), which indicates some of the changes (like nerfing Famine, make DM wait a turn, and eliminating single-troop defenses) has helped. Unfortunately I think part of the increase is also due to the problems with cascades between the 2 platforms, and some of the defenses are simply taking advantage of this issue.

The other downside is that there are still very few troops being used on defense. For the top 100 defenses I looked at there were 397 troops. However only 10 troops accounted for 189 of those spots (48%), and expanding to the 20 most used troops jumped that up to 282 (71%). With a troop catalog now containing 375 troops, having 5% of the troops account for over two thirds of the defense is rather ridiculous.

2 Likes

I’m not fond of the 50% boost on events either, but not for the reasons mentioned. Well for more than all of the reasons mentioned.

What I find irritating is that the team strengths really don’t properly take into account the event boosted troops, nor the single troop swap out for a full team for that matter. That bug really needs to be fixed.

It really does a disservice for people with lower than VIP level 3 when they see a 4,000 strength offering and when they actually fight the battle, they’re facing 4 fully ascended mythic troops that have all traits active and the opponent obviously as all or nearly all their kingdoms level 10 and at 5 stars (the line-up should be 9,000+). Now imagine that be an event enhanced boosted line-up in addition.

The strength determining algorithm really needs to be reassessed. It needs to properly account for rarity of the troop, traits, basic attribute values (armor, health, attack, magic) and spells or how the troop attacks.