Devs, your Luck AI changes have ruined this game!

No, the AI in 3.0.5 for PC (which was already Unity at the time) was made to match the Mobile “dumb” AI so as not to disturb the integrity of GW/PvP. The shift away to using the Console AI was not borne of misunderstanding the code, it was deliberate.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, how has it been like for each of you when playing Dungeons with this lucky/ smarter ai script?

Dungeons are easy. I think since the introduction of them I’ve lost maybe a handful of troops in the dungeon battles. Never lost a fight though. Just run a strong team that you would play PVP with and you’ll probably be succesful…

1 Like

If I may take a shot in the dark here, the Dungeons, despite their boosted troops, are so far below the power of most of us end-gamers, that there is very little difficulty/fear involved there. And the teams that they, the devs, have set seem to exclude the broken OP troops that we are seeing in end game PvP/GW.

Now if the devs decide to field nothing but double Wisp teams for EVERY dungeon Monday-Sunday… expect to see some very upset end-gamers! :wink:

2 Likes

Well tbf you get unlimited tries and no consequences for losing/retreating which helps, but if there is ever an "eternal wisp " which charms all opponents on the opposing team, i’m quitting the game.

2 Likes

new mythic: Tinkerbell

dispel and remove entangle on all enemies. then charm all enemies and jumble the board. gain extra turn. gain full mana if i am frozen or stunned.

trait:
empowered
stealth
third trait - charm a random enemy on enemy’s 4 or 5 gem matches :laughing:

3 Likes

As one of the folks involved in the creation of that AI, I’d like to add just a bit of clarity.

Our goal at Pipeworks was to re-create the mobile AI exactly. We had the code base, and copied it over line for line.

But we also had a verbal description, from the original devs (who we were in contact with frequently), about how the AI worked. We found a few holes where the coded implementation didn’t exactly match that description. We pinged them about the discrepencies, and suggested that we fix them, so that the AI worked the way it had been described to us. They agreed, and we mined data for a few months, which suggested that the “fixed” AI actually gave a slightly better and less predictable experience. So as far as we were concerned, we just fixed up a few small holes, where the original AI implementation didn’t actually behaved as intended.

But IN ADDITION, we introduced a bug in counting the mana from large multi-matches. This affected AI players only. So human players got the normal amount of mana, and AI players got extra mana from big cascading matches.

This had nothing to do with the AI - it was just a bug.

That mana bug was the source of virtually all “This AI is too good” - “The AI is cheating” - “The AI knows how to drop gems” complaints that we had while Pipeworks was actively developing the console version.

We fixed that bug, but the idea that console AI was somehow broken, or cheating, was already well-entrenched. But the reality, as it often is, was more subtle and more complicated.

I haven’t done active GoW development in more than a year, so I can’t speak with any authority about the state of things today. But it sure sounds to my ears like people are still bringing forward their misapprehensions that formed back when the console AI was getting extra mana.

Hopefully this adds some clarity.

15 Likes

You can’t speak but you still do. :wink: Anyhow, thanks a lot for the input.

PC players had no premonitions or misapprehensions. First, it might be possible that the bug has resurfaced or does resurface occasionally under certain conditions? Second, can you enlighten people here how mana counting exactly works, please? A few people including me and some of my guild mates tried to manually recount mana from “blobs” to actually check things and results have been inconsistent at best. Looks like there are some complex underlying coding issue there. Simple cases are clear though.

Like, for example, let’s take some reductionist case. In previous versions for PC, whole board of 64 skulls did count as 12 skulls. Well, now, it is somewhat different and also inconsistent.

1 Like

As you say, the clear cases are clear.

Matching N gems gives N mana, or deals N damage. Doubling N from mana surge or class abilities happens immediately, and then bonus damage / mana is added to that.

There are at least two situations where things are less clear:

1 - If it’s not a single blob but rather Z number of blobs, the calculations become tricky. Is the bonus added Z times? Only once? If there is a multiplier, is it applied only to some values? If two different multipliers are avilable, in what order are they applied, and to which blobs? Also, exactly how you count blobs and determine Z is not obvious. There are several mutually exclusive “right” answers to the problem, mathematically.

2 - When a cascade of the same color happens, how and when do you apply multipliers and bonus mana? I’m specifically talking about matching 3, which triggers a match of another color, and then the first color again. Because GoW tries to apply mana in real time, that forces each blob to count immediately - giving Z instances of your bonuses. But it becomes complex quickly.

This also brings some skull damage questions up. For example, if a troop had an ability like “double barrier” - do two simultaneous matches of skulls count twice? Or is it just double the value, but still only one match?

2 Likes

Just keep in mind that @Mr.Strange hasn’t worked on the code base in over a year. While he is offering great insight, his information is potentially out of date.

Well, since there is nothing otherwise available, this seems to be actually the one and only source of any information.

5 Likes

Thanks, that clarifies the issue a little while adding some additional obscurity. What you saying is that a board of 64 same color tiles gives at least 64 mana/damage plus something is multiplied and something is not depending on the order of the board being filled with tiles in real time. That explains enhanced or inflated mana generation compared to previous version(s) and inconsistencies in calculations.

So, in previous/older version, e.g., casting Forest Troll with 30 green tiles on board would have given some green mana (minimum of 12, maximum IDK, it was some strange thing as well but most certainly less that 64 although I’m not 100% positive as there was no Forest Troll back then) while after the update it gives at least 64 mana plus whatever is doubled depending on the actual order it is filled as determined by the code.

1 Like

MrStrange doesn’t work on the code any more, so don’t take his numbers as gospel. You should know for yourself that his examples are not 100% correct 100% of the time: 3 skulls does not do 3 damage, so 64 skulls doesn’t do 64.

3 Likes

A big change has happened some days ago, thanks to the Devs, the situation is now really better.
Yet the AI is still extremely irritating, specially on one feature: when your opponent is about to be destroyed, just one turn away, they become unbeatable super heroes. I’m talking about games that are virtually won already and… zak! once again, looking at a screen doing all sort of improbable and impossible series of matches.
Maybe less sadism could be an act of kindness towards the people who pay your rent? :grin:

That’s not the AI, that’s the RNG. We are supposed to believe the two aren’t in speaking terms.

THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! 100 ABSOLUTE PERCENT TRUE! AI cascade’s is just stupid you cannot create any team otherwise you just get obliterated anyway by cascades or just lucky moves leading to more bs an more n more n more been playing for 2 years an since the updates on both console and here by which you dev’s have obviously done an won’t say an can’t deny it have proper fked up making the game unejoyable by all means GW’s is nothing just an area to get bs’d even HARDER than normal hell even casual pvp just remove the pvp an gw system from game there’s no fun involved whatsoever oh and arena too not even low levels can play in their without finding a dawnbringer that’ll wreck 'em in 5secs flat! Get this shit sorted or lose your player bases… Rant over…
Also fix the shitty RNG of chests got a 3rd YC now and as much as I like having the 1 an getting lucky for the 2nd from a seal chest i’d much rather have something new that I have not found yet an i’m pretty sure others would want the same if not implement something that can exchange 2 of the same mythic for another you have a shit load of tools at your obvious disposal players aren’t having fun an you know it!!! Fizzbang get’s nerfed within few days… Wisp never getting nerfed? Might aswell have kept Fizz the same in that sense, why? Fizz is an Epic and Wisp is an ult rare it makes no sense for an epic to be less useful as an ult rare but saying that you’ve all fked majority of the troops up and made everything pretty much useless ty to krakens an wisps an famine (hell even justice teams can still get looping like no tomorrow) point is simple you know what to do devs an get this fker sorted past few hours now I’ve had 0 fun and just want to shout (let it all out! /Disturbed) my head off in rage as I type away atm I beg of you make gems fun again! (Sorry for swearing I will oblige a banhammer if such is not allowed)

1 Like
  1. You should probably cut down on the casual swearing (saw your apology at the end, but you can edit even after you post).
  2. That is not bad RNG. That is incredibly good luck for you. I’d be very happy to have even 1 YC.

Currently my main issue is that my imagination is on iatus.
I usually have 4 meta/super teams, and my 6 color teams.
The rest of my team slots are themed fun teams, wierd ideas, unused cards, etc…

Of course, these « outside the box « teams win less, around 65%. Usually.

Since the cascade AI, the non-meta teams just get pummeled. It’s no use trying something fun or new aside exploring.
If I don’t use my best teams, I lose. It’s really sad.

15 Likes

I can still lose when I use my best teams, and it’s typically a complete and total curbstomping when I do.

If that coin comes up “tails”, you’re hosed. It sucks.

1 Like

While a bit jumbled I see your points and advise to visit the many threads that also discusd your point albeit, individually. However, an important tidbit is you mentioned you played on console right? Well this week is all about YC since this is her exclusive week and can only get her when a random mythic would drop. Therefore, aside from pulling 3 of her from 50 vip chests as I did with Infernus a few weeks back, I’d suggest saving keys if you only want 1 of her as every chest that can spawn a mythic outdide of event chests will only spawn her. As I said before, many issues you brought up have been mentioned in various other threads such as wisps or dawnbringer in arena. If you must swear, be creative as swearing will only bring repercussions on a forum such as this and often will only come off as hostile and prevent others from hearing your points apology or otherwise. This comes from a guy who swears like a sailor myself, but there is always a time and place. Lastly, having pulled 3 of her, I will agree that you are in quite the bind. Or perhaps you just didn’t choose wisely. Save your keys for next time and you’ll be vine. Puns aside it was still pretty lucky as there have been a few horror stories just to fail to get a single mythic.